Triton Cross Section 1:32 (Pete 38)

Gentlemen,   Thanks for looking in and the comments

I had seen in a previous build on MSW 1 (chad86 I think) he had laid out the lines for the flat of the frames something like this, he mad an actual template to go by. Seemed like a good idea at the time so I remembered it.

Well.....back to sanding....sanding....sanding :( and yard work :angry:

Picture will be posted when it actually changes appearance :D

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

Just a small update on my progress....

Have the floor of the futtocks sanded down enough for now it is fairly flat.

So decided to glue the keelson in to help strengthen the frames while fairing the sides

post-63-0-42767800-1366478095_thumb.jpg

Also adding in the permenant cherry blocks for strenght. They are not exactly straight and inline with each other but they will be planked over later

post-63-0-15902200-1366478101_thumb.jpg

Also went out and bought a noodle

post-63-0-42404000-1366478089_thumb.jpg

more on the noodle later  :D

Thats it for now...see ya later

SEE YA LATER

Russ, Paddy  thanks for looking in and the comments....

I do have a question.     The keelson how would it be attached???? I know it is glued, but we simulate treenail for the looks and also add them for strentgh on the frames. What was used to attached it?

Thanks

SEE YA LATER

Hi.

A very informative build with a lot of skill and quality workmanship being shown.

You have the best approach to keeping the ship square and true...Jiging..

This might be of some use to you. I know is from the Victory .

Taken from The Anatomy Of Nelsons Ships.

Page 23

The keelson on was the first element of the locking devices.

It was composed of six pieces of Elm 1 ft. 8 in square.

The scarfs were 5ft.9 in long and gave shift to the scarfs in the keel.

It was laid on the top of the floors above the keel and was bolted through each floor and the keel with 1' 7/8 "in bolts. 

Keep up the excellent workmanship it's a credit to you.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Russ, thanks for that answer.

AntonyUK thank you very much for the answer and the comments on my build. Very informative. 

I must start me a library of my own. 

The last 2 of the spacers are installed and drying. While this is going on I made a list of all the size of timbers that will be needed installing the "ceiling"  (Is that the correct term?)

Rough cut all the blanks on my Byrnes saw (you have to love this little machine) and marked each one with the size, amount needed and the location with an item #

Will run these through the drum sander (Byrnes) then rip them into the plank size needed. This is just enough to do up to the lower deck.

I am thinking about doing the iron bolts in the keelson just to see how it would look. What is your opinion of this?  Would use black annealed wire to simulate the nails.

The saw....using hard maple for the planks

post-63-0-06641400-1366512060_thumb.jpg

The list and some of the blanks

post-63-0-27836000-1366512067_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your comments and opinions. They really help

SEE YA LATER

Pete:

The ceiling is the interior planking. Is that what you are after?

I think you could use wire or even small nails with the heads trimmed down to show the bolts. This is an issue where some more research would be a good idea to see exactly how the bolt heads would look.

Russ

Hi Pete,

Concerning the keelson bolts, on page 28 of Peter Goodwin’s book The Construction and Fitting of the Sailing Man of War 1650 ~1850 he states the following in the section The Keelson Assembly:

“Before 1800 the keelson was only bolted through to the keel at every other floor. After this the keelson was bolted through every floor. Two bolts were used, the sizes varying from 2in to 1in, though bolts of 2 1/2in were used on the Victory.”

Skipping down the text a little Goodson continues:

“The bolts were copper.”

Hope this is some help Pete. Just recently received a copy of the Goodson book and appreciate it for the text, pictures and drawings. 

P.S. Thanks for mentioning this. Sure something I will attempt when reaching this point. Sounds like some copper wire of the correct diameter would do the trick.

Edited by Paddy

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

All the spacers are in and I have removed the section from the build board to easier sand.

In order to  get the spacer down to size quicker I use my dremel with a drum sander attached. I was afraid to use the small one that came with it, (way to easy to sand to much to quick in one spot and ruin everything)   So I took an old drum sander I had from years ago and turned the shaft down to fit the dremel. This one works a lot better at this scale.

Here it is before

post-63-0-86313000-1366555699_thumb.jpg

Turning it down on my lathe

post-63-0-33565900-1366555708_thumb.jpg

In the dremel ready to use. This is about a 1" dia drum

post-63-0-48652900-1366555729_thumb.jpg

Using it, being very carefull, keeping the speed turned down so not to burn the wood or take to much off to quick

post-63-0-49490100-1366555738_thumb.jpg

SEE YA LATER

Guess What???  

IT'S NOODLE TIME

I bought this having an idea for something, not knowing wether it would work or not.  So far it seems to be working fine..........

I cut a section of the noodle of and using 3M spray adhesive attached different sand paper to it. It can be change out easily with another if needed.

Here is the smaller 80 grit using it on the spacer after the drum sander on the dremel

post-63-0-48649100-1366556162_thumb.jpg

Here is a slightly bigger one with 100 grit sandpaper. I cut an old broom handle and inserted it through the hole in the middle for better gripping.

post-63-0-95090600-1366556176_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-45940400-1366556183_thumb.jpg

This seems to work fine. With the bigger diameter of the noodle, I will have a better chance of not sanding flat in the frame sides.

SEE YA LATER

Here is where the section is at now. Will continure to sand and shape as needed on the inside untill I am satisfied with it.

One thing I forgot when starting this build.................

The larger size make for eaier build...seeing and handling the parts, but.

THERE IS A LOT MORE TO SAND.. :(  :(  :(

post-63-0-41561500-1366556498_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-91080900-1366556547_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-71514400-1366556554_thumb.jpg

SEE YA LATER

Hi Pete. She's looking very nice. I love the noodle idea and will have to

give it a try when I get to that point on the bomb vessel! Thanks :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I am being yelled at by my daughter today.

All the pictures posted by me today were taken by my daughter,,,SHE IS WANTING CREDIT FOR THIS,,,,,

So now she has credit.

Always have to give the artist credit especially when it’s your daughter! Send a long a well done! B)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Your sanding idea is interesting. Here all this time I have been using dowels, blocks, and the like with sandpaper wrapped around them. :)

Russ

Russ, thanks for dropping in.

I to have a collection of dowels and sticks and blocks with different sandpapers on them.

The noodle is big enough diameter for this scale that I don't sand flats in the frames and also it is very easy to hold on to, so my hands don't cramp.

SEE YA LATER

Big models need big ideas to solve the problems.  One of scale.  You solved it in spades with that noodle idea.  Oh.. and your daughter takes good pictures. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Pete

It's looking great. 1/32 looks to be a great size for the Triton. I like it.

Also like the noodle. I will have to make Oodles of Noodles   :) 

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Hello Pete,I like your work it is very nice.I do like your tools.I have been looking at the Byrnes saw and thickness sander.Trying to convince my self I need to spend $ 900.I also like your noodle sander.That is one of those why didn't I think of that.    Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Bob--Daniel--Mark--Ron--Larry     thank so much for looking in and comments

At this scale it is big for the cross section...have been thinking about a full build of something at this larger scale when this is done  :rolleyes:  not sure yet

As far as the noodle idea it literaly hit me over the head....while shopping in one on the nameless big box stores for grocery my daughter had picked one up out of the box and was playing around by hitting me on the head with it. When I turned around to take it from her the idea (excues the pun) hit me in the head. So I put it in my cart and brought it home.

You never know where you will be or what you are doing when an idea for you build hits you    :D

SEE YA LATER

Hey Pete,

Tell your daughter she is doing a fine job making a photo record of your work. Tell her we like lots and lots of pictures of Daddy working. HAhaha!

Am learning much from your build. Love the way you turned down the diameter of the drum sander spindle, gonna remember that one and, the noodle ofcourse.

The hard maple is gonna test your patience when sanding. I have had good success using a scraper on the hard maple. The Brynes saw and hard maple, fantastic.

Wish you well as you move along.

Hopeful aka David

Hello

Not a lot of progress to report, work has been getting in the way.. :(

I am still sanding on the frames to get the faired......there is a lot of sanding to do on this one...

Will be gone for the next 2 weeks except for a couple of days on work related trips so I will only be able to check in on others progress and pictures  (Hope there are a bunch of them :) )

Here is how it stands as of today....

post-63-0-91886100-1367164680_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-50648100-1367164687_thumb.jpg

You all have fun and see ya when I get back....

SEE YA LATER