Triton Cross Section 1:32 (Pete 38)

Very nice Pete. Travel safely.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Have a good trip (but since it's work related, can it really be "good"?), Larry.   The hull is fairing up nicely.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all for checking in and the comments.

Wireless card went out on my laptop so sitting in the hotel lobby in the business center catching up befor going to a meeting.

You all have fun and keep working on your builds so I will have something to do at night (looking at yours) :D

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!!!!!

Seems like a long time since I had anything to post. Returned from my trip, got caught up on my yard work and resumed sanding on my cross section,  

I wish I was amberdextrious so my left arm would be a big as my right arm from all the sanding  :D

I am pretty happy with the way it has turned out and satisfied with the inside fairing...will consider this done.

The outside need a little more work on one side and I will consider that done.

Here's a few pictures of my progress

post-63-0-31696200-1368994236_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-64488100-1368994242_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-31378600-1368994247_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-58910600-1368994252_thumb.jpg

Will now start sawing out some of the inside planking (limberboards and thickstuff so as to start assembling them

SEE YA LATER

Thanks Joss

Had time to work on it a little this morning so decided to install the Lower Deck Clamps. I am hoping that doing this I will be able to install them at the correct height and if any adjustment is needed will be able to correct width small amounts on different planks for any errors that will creep in.

I noticed in the Midship Cross Section Plan that the top of the deck clamp Item#12 was almost flat. So I made some sanding stick in order to get the angle correct.

Here I temporary clamp them in place

post-63-0-60381000-1369056123_thumb.jpg

Made up some sanding sticks of sufficient  length to fit between the frames with 100 grit paper

post-63-0-14072000-1369056066_thumb.jpg

You can see the angle I need to sand to for proper fit

post-63-0-94971400-1369056076_thumb.jpg

Doing this gave me multiple reference marks along the clamp

post-63-0-07262400-1369056083_thumb.jpg

Mounted them in my small vise and used a 3/8 hand chisel to remove the wast and cleaned up with some 220 sandpaper

post-63-0-77678400-1369056097_thumb.jpg

Temporary put back on cross section to check for level

post-63-0-76780000-1369056104_thumb.jpg

Then glued them in place

post-63-0-33822200-1369056113_thumb.jpg

Once these dry will move on to the next ones

SEE YA LATER

Hi Pete, That is a great way of doing it and was done very nicely. Well done.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Just a small update...thought I would post how I am marking for my planks....see if anyone out there has a better suggestion than how I am doing it. 

First take the measurement from the plan

post-63-0-56330700-1369180897_thumb.jpg

Transfer it to the section. making sure to locate point next to keelson  in middle of the frame (glue joint as a repeatable reference)

post-63-0-58818300-1369180925_thumb.jpg

Using a 1/4" x 1/4" aluminum angle for a straight edges, should not have any bend or bow to it.

post-63-0-10839000-1369181012_thumb.jpg

After marking each frame, checking measurement down from previous work to make sure have same gap from end to end and side to side

post-63-0-50006900-1369181130_thumb.jpg

And here is where I am at now

post-63-0-72225800-1369181140_thumb.jpg

If anyone has a suggestion please post. I take all type of critizism  good and bad.  Just can't spell worth a @!#$

SEE YA LATER

That method will work fine so long as distances you are measuring match up from plan to model. That might not always be the case. I think that measuring the width of each plank might work as well.

Russ

Russ, thanks for the reply...so far the plans are matching the model...took several measurements at different places before starting the inside. Also have been cutting each board as need using measurements from the plans and model both. 

Paddy thanks for the kind words.....most of what I am working out has been worked out by others long before me...I just try to remember and look at notes I take from other logs to apply to mine.

I find that if think through the problem in a way that I would have to show and tell someone that has no knowledge of what this is  (like myself   :mellow: )  I can come closer of doing a descent job on my

build. That's why there are so many pictures of each step. (more for me than anything)

Edited by Pete38

SEE YA LATER

Really enjoying your work. Helps to watch you go at least. I'll keep working at it and someday will follow in your footsteps. Nice clamping by the way.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

I have a question for you all out there.

On the limber boards..Please correct me if I have this wrong....

They were about 4 to 5 feet in length and had a notch (or hole) about 1 to 1 1/4 inch dia to aid in their removal..?????

Does this sound about right??

SEE YA LATER

Hi Pete,

Chach_86 Stated the following in his build log and I used the same for mine.

Can’t vouch for the accuracy but they looked good.

I hope it helps.

I had opened a thread a while back in the general discussion about it and came to the conclusion that they would be 3 feet long with openings on either side to pry them out. So scaled down gave me 3/4 inch long sections with half circles drilled out on each end.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

After the prompt reply from Rusty I started on my limber boards. (Thanks again)

This involved quite a bit of trail and error so far...more error than trail  :wacko:

I first cut and sanded the boards to the correct thickness and cut them extra wide to have material to play with and marked by eye the angle that I needed.

post-63-0-14471500-1369435317_thumb.jpg

Then set up a wooden fence on the saw so that I could rip close to the fence without doing any damage to anything. Also temporary attached a shim to angle the board to 

the correct angle.

post-63-0-13358400-1369435502_thumb.jpg

Ran the board down the fence to rip the angle

post-63-0-60377500-1369435588_thumb.jpg

SEE YA LATER

Sorry about that...hit the wrong button. :blush:   to continue

Ended up with an angle like this

post-63-0-69858800-1369435682_thumb.jpg

Here is where the ERROR comes into play

Cut the board into length of 3'  about 1 1/4" scale.  Marked each board and fitted to the cross section.  After fitting removed and tried (note I said tried) to drill a 1 1/2" hole in the

joints ..about .0350 dia.   This did not work out so good...Holes were off centered...did not align up with the board next to them and just generally looked like crap  :angry:

Cut to lenght

post-63-0-55374600-1369435961_thumb.jpg

Looking like !@#%&

post-63-0-24340000-1369436006_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-37631300-1369436011_thumb.jpg

Unless your a very very very good...do not try it this way

post-63-0-55428700-1369435706_thumb.jpg

SEE YA LATER

!@#%*  hit the wrong button again....

stared with a new piece in one length and are (is) fitting this to the gap

post-63-0-50079400-1369436135_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-60282100-1369436140_thumb.jpg

After I have fitted the board will mark off 3' length and drill a hole a little bit bigger then saw at the joint...Hopefully will work out better.

The way thing are going right now..Can not type...hard to concentrate to fit board properly...so will wait until tomorrow to start again and post progress then.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post

Off to the fridge for a cold one and time to relax..... :cheers:

SEE YA LATER

Thanks Rusty...

Will adjust to 3 feet long...sound about right...easy for 1 man to remove and manage in the tight place where they are at..

The only references I found in my limited library where ‘they were short’.  :huh:

Glad Rusty had some information on this and I’m going to follow with his lead too. Thanks for posting the question Pete. Now noted in my shop notes.

Edited by Paddy

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Better Luck on the next try.

I'm off to try to cut the final planks that I need to start the build.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section