Hi Guys!!!! Im so Glad to Start my first Build log  in MSW :D

Well as some of you might know by now one of the several proyects i have in mind is the Jolly Roger ship also Re-named as the Chiken of the Sea, this version has been made into a model kit first produced by Disney and then by Revell with the name of "Caribbean Pirate Ship" but there are no blueprints available for this ship as far as i know and i have always been in love with how powerfull it looks  :piratetongueor4:

I think one of the problems with this ship is that is always Taken/Mistaken  for a tiny/weak/cartoony/Childish ship but there are several media where we can find that the ship wasnt as small or inoffensive

Actually i think lots of Disney Stuff are way creepier if you think about them deeply, includding the Peter Pan Story, so i will try to make Justice to the Ship keeping the Shape and Colors but with a Creepier and Realistic Approach, i want it to look as a huge and old ship, since its actually a really big ship

take this illustrations as example  

tumblr_mknansJf1B1rnlx8co1_1280.jpg

Jolly Roger on the left (just for size comparison between ships )

Jolly_roger_and_bucky.jpg

the kit that was made unfortunately is also Extra Small  so..........

I went nuts and tried something i have never tried before, i worked the whole night  ( from 6 pm to 5 in the morning ) i only took a break to have dinner but im glad to tell you guys im extremly near to have the whole set of blueprints fo the ship :D

What do you guys think? ill keep on working the whole day so ill try to post some pics of the blueprints soon :P

Go for it...   I'm curious what you'll come up with.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi.

This will be a interesting build.

Are you completely drawing this from scaleing the model up or do you have a basic drawing to work from ?

A big undertaking on the drafting side.

Looking forward to your blueprints.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Ooooh, I think this is going to be fun.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Antonyuk! 

Im drawing all the blueprints so then i can scale it to a much more bigger size, but i dont have any basic drawing fo work with, if my techcnique works ill be happy to share it! :D im working really hard to get them done as soon as possible :P

im sure this will be a fun journey Cap :P

Edited by KAT

Well, I'm in for the journey if that's OK.

Just a newbie but got started with this specifically for "pirate ships".  :P

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Then welcome aboard Pops! I actually started in this hobby 2 years ago cause of the same reason! :P

i think Pirate Ships are quite amazing and almost all my proyects are Pirate Ships :D , i will have between 2 and 5 build logs at the same time, all of these ones will be pirate ships so you are more than welcome to join me in all these  :piratetongueor4:

i havent started with all those proyects right now because im working on getting the blueprints for this one and its really taking almost all my time but as soon as i get them ill start on the other ones! :D

Ahh, another challenge lover and lady builder. Wellcome and good luck. Let your imagination fly and skills will follow right behind. Power of the sea! Magic of spreaded sails, and smelt of gun powder.

Keep on, I'll be there in some hidden corner watching with inpatience

Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

you should have a look at once upon a time, in reality peter pan is much more creepy than you can imagine ;) . A lot of Jolly Rodger in that series.

Best,

Michiel 

Edited by Michiel

Finished models: Botter, President

Current:

Prins Willem by the book of Ketting,

HMS Beagle - OcCre

restauration of a Statenjacht

There's still a kid in everyone of us, so ... let's play

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

you should have a look at once upon a time, in reality peter pan is much more creepy than you can imagine ;) . A lot of Jolly Rodger in that series.

Best,

Michiel 

Really? That sounds great, i thought "Once upon a Time" was not too creepy and thats the reason i havent seen the series yet but i love to hear that!!! im going to watch it right away! :D

There's still a kid in everyone of us, so ... let's play

i think the same way! :P

I know i havent posted any pics but this process its taking a little bit longer than what i expected, but that doesnt mean its not working hehe it just needs a little bit more of work :P

The Jolly Roger has always been one of my favorites.  It was actually the first model ship I built myself as a teenager.  Mine was a Lindberg kit.  I still have it though it's in bad disrepair and needs restoration.  Another project on the list.  I look forward to seeing what you create.  Scratch building is tricky but is so much more fun in my opinion.  Nothing like creating something that is yours and one of a kind.    

What a wonderful project!!!   I have loved this ship since I was a child and had a jigsaw puzzle of it.

Looking forward to following your build log.

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

The Jolly Roger has always been one of my favorites.  It was actually the first model ship I built myself as a teenager.  Mine was a Lindberg kit.  I still have it though it's in bad disrepair and needs restoration.  Another project on the list.  I look forward to seeing what you create.  Scratch building is tricky but is so much more fun in my opinion.  Nothing like creating something that is yours and one of a kind.    

Its amazing how this kit has been arround for a while even with the fitting problem, and i think the reason is the ship is quite amazing and looks wonderfull finished, i share the same oppinion with you, scratch building is totally amazing!! its quite an adventure :P

What a wonderful project!!!   I have loved this ship since I was a child and had a jigsaw puzzle of it.

Looking forward to following your build log.

Im amazed of how many of you guys are interested in this proyect! this is really inspiring to keep working hard for it :P i wont disappoint you guys! :D

Adventure building matches to adventure ship. And, I suppose, matches to adventure Captain ( modeler ) ?

I`ve just looked at some sequences of battle on deck ... 

Do you capture some details of inside/outside of ship from video ? It can be very usefull

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

This certainly sounds like fun.  I will pull up a chair in the corner and watch with interest.  If you get a chance checkout a song from 1976 by Roger McGuinn called "the Jolly Roger".  It really sums up the pirate life for me.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Adventure building matches to adventure ship. And, I suppose, matches to adventure Captain ( modeler ) ?

I`ve just looked at some sequences of battle on deck ... 

Do you capture some details of inside/outside of ship from video ? It can be very usefull

lol exactly Nenad!

im not quite sure of which movie you are talking about.... Peter pan? right in this moment i´ve been looking for lots of pictures of the Restaurant in France, but i think it would be really helpful!

This certainly sounds like fun.  I will pull up a chair in the corner and watch with interest.  If you get a chance checkout a song from 1976 by Roger McGuinn called "the Jolly Roger".  It really sums up the pirate life for me.

Thanks Jack! i just listent to it and its quite good!

Kat, I do not know exactly what I was looking ... on smart TV I just searched by Jolly Roger ship, and opened first clip that appears.

But your idea, and thinking about realization procedure is really amazing and intriguing, so ... hurry on, I am inpatient to see plans ... start ... keel ... hull...planks etc etc

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hi Nenad! Its Really inspiring to read your posts! I took some pictures yesterday ill try to explain what im doing here :

s2hes7.jpg2cfxumf.jpg9bi421.jpg24lrl3s.jpg2a5ygxl.jpg15of8r6.jpg29gml9g.jpg

I used Sculptor Clay to fill half of the hull so i can get the inside shape of the ship exactly by half,

it needs lots of work since i gotta be putting more clay in the spots its missing then i put it in back in the freezer so the clay gets hard as rock so i can take it out to keep working,

the ship is still in the works but its getting there, im sure i have already the Keel form and im being very carefull to have the righ shape and curves of the ship, when i get the final shape in clay ill make a cast of it and ill cut it in several "slices" so i can get the Frames, this way i will get also the shape of the deck :D

as you can see the clay matches almost perfectly the shape of the ship and decks ( in the last pic i placed the decks a little bit separated of the clay so you can see the shape ), it still needs lots of work but i hope its visible what im trying to do hehe :P

Edited by KAT

Hmmmm ... I had never seen something similar and interesting

Keep on, I am so curious 

BTW, I have a little question for you about Clay use, because I have no experience with it

See pictures below

In first picture are shown ornaments on Cutty Sark stern, and I want to make this in most accurate way it is possible

post-4738-0-76387400-1403604397.jpg

In next picture, you can see little space for applying ornaments in scale I am working ... 

post-4738-0-55118600-1403604399_thumb.jpg

Is it possible to make this tiny embossed lines by Clay to get precise relief ornament ? ( Less than 0,5 mm)

If not, have you any idea ?

With regards

Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

What an interesting concept of using clay in this way.  It should work beautifully.  That’s really thinking “outside the box”, or is it “inside the hull”.  Oh, well.  Can’t wait to see the drawings happen.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hmmmm ... I had never seen something similar and interesting

Keep on, I am so curious 

BTW, I have a little question for you about Clay use, because I have no experience with it

See pictures below

In first picture are shown ornaments on Cutty Sark stern, and I want to make this in most accurate way it is possible

attachicon.gifpost-4738-0-90246100-1374654462_thumb.jpg

In next picture, you can see little space for applying ornaments in scale I am working ... 

attachicon.gifornaments.JPG

Is it possible to make this tiny embossed lines by Clay to get precise relief ornament ? ( Less than 0,5 mm)

If not, have you any idea ?

With regards

Nenad

Hi Nenad! Sorry for the late response but its for a good reason! :D i´ve spending several hours on research trying to figure out the way i would do it, mixing some techniques but i found out that almost everyone paint the stern instead of making it 3D as i think its your goal 

Its such a shame there are no tutorials for doing this, since its really important sometimes, take me as an example one of my future projects (wont say the name of the ship) needs this alot!! :

QAR_OST.PNG

So i started making some tests and i found something it might be helpful :D ;

When i have time besides building ships i love sculpting, and i use something called Super Sculpey Firm, excellent clay really really strong after baked!

So i made a small sheet of clay using a rolling pin then i cut the sheet in half and i baked one half and after baked i glued a paper sheet with some random letters, then with the help of an exacto knife i cutted really slowly (lots of patience here ) then i putted the letters in water so the paper sheet would come out easy, then using some very fine sandpaper i made it softer

I didnt took any pictures since i dont know where the hell is my camera, but it should came out something like the separated letters but grey ( i dont use balsa wood for carving i think its kinda weak and you dont get to change the shape without carving  ) :

syren3.JPG

The Second Test i made it using the other half ot the clay sheet putting the paper over the claysheet before baking it, but the result was horrible!!! :( the clay expanded when baked and the letters didnt came out in good shape, also it was really hard to cut the clay when it was soft, so i would say try the first option, with lots of patience im sure you can get a really nice result, this type of clay after baked is really easy to carve and its quite strong so i think its a nice option

:D

What an interesting concept of using clay in this way.  It should work beautifully.  That’s really thinking “outside the box”, or is it “inside the hull”.  Oh, well.  Can’t wait to see the drawings happen.

Bob

Lol Thanks Bob!! i try to always mix techniques! :D

Edited by KAT

Very impressive clay work!  That is a method I have not seen before.  I agree that balsa is to soft to carve.  I built one ship out of balsa and a lot of wood filler.  It turned out well but the process was tough and I vowed never to do it again.  Out of curiosity have you tried bass wood or cherry?  

Very impressive clay work!  That is a method I have not seen before.  I agree that balsa is to soft to carve.  I built one ship out of balsa and a lot of wood filler.  It turned out well but the process was tough and I vowed never to do it again.  Out of curiosity have you tried bass wood or cherry?  

Thanks Dsiemens!

Here in Mexico is very hard for me to get those types of clay i would need to import them :P