"Queen Anne's Revenge" ... o-ho-ho ... I feel smelt of gun powder even here on other side of planet ... 

Clay ... good to think about and make some experiments ... 

Thx for your attention

Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Kat, we have an admin on this site called Chuck Passaro, he does extensive work using Sculpy for ship decorations, He even posted a practicum of how he uses it on the NRG website www.thenrg.org under the ship modeling resources shop notes.

Take a look or drop Chuck a PM, I'm sure he'd be happy to offer some advice.

Ben

Kat, we have an admin on this site called Chuck Passaro, he does extensive work using Sculpy for ship decorations, He even posted a practicum of how he uses it on the NRG website www.thenrg.org under the ship modeling resources shop notes.

Take a look or drop Chuck a PM, I'm sure he'd be happy to offer some advice.

Ben

Thanks Trussben! i didnt know lol, im really new to this forum, but ill give it a look :P

Hi Kat,

I found a blog with some awesome photos that you need to see!  hotlink: http://davelandweb.com/chickenofthesea/

I have downloaded lots of photos of the Jolly Roger but these are the best I have found, lots of photos from the 50's

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Hi Kat,

I found a blog with some awesome photos that you need to see!  hotlink: http://davelandweb.com/chickenofthesea/

I have downloaded lots of photos of the Jolly Roger but these are the best I have found, lots of photos from the 50's

Thanks Alot Tarbrush, these are quite amazing! Actually i have found out there are 2 Jolly Rogers the one from the Revell (Lindberg) and the Restaurant, but also another Jolly a bit different it can be seen by the numer of cannons the position and the decks also the stern, but its so subtle i had to check out alot the peter pan movies from disney and some games to find out this, have you notice this?

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, so its been almost 3 years since the last post but many things happened that made me put aside this project and in general the ships, but i learnt new stuff that im sure it will be really helpful, i opened my own studio where i sculpt and paint so i think it will be really helpful however i've forgotten lots of stuff, but well lets get to the point!

! have found a better way to make all of the blueprints! remember the sculptor clay? well it wasnt working at all, it used to get soft really quickly and since this kit is really tough to put in with all of the parts matching, i found a better way, i assembled the hull with the decks and then i drilled a whole in one of the decks in a place that later will be covered, once i did this i started sealing all of the gaps around the ship and i started melting some home made chavant clay, this clay can be as liquid as water when its warmed up but if you let it cool it gets really really hard even on room temperature, and after lots of work putting apart the ship once again i got the inner mold of the ship!! with this im planning on making the blue prints of the keel and the ribs!

Im really sorry for not taking pictures of the process but here is the picture of the demolded ship! (all the gaps will be filled) by the way do you recommend me using balsa wood strips for the planking? i would like to make my ships for RC even when i dont know much about the mechanism, thanks guys!

SAM_3648.JPG

SAM_3649.JPG

Hey howya goin Kat, Welcome back I'll be following along with your build looks great.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

I have just stumbled upon this log. This is something very new and different.  Your doing a great job. 

I don't know about using balsa for the planking but, Prehaps some thin walnut strips? Something with not much grain showing.

Also I'm not sure how glue would adhear to the clay. Unless you use CA?I've honestly never attempted to do this. All the best and glad you returned.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

8 hours ago, S.Coleman said:

I have just stumbled upon this log. This is something very new and different.  Your doing a great job. 

I don't know about using balsa for the planking but, Prehaps some thin walnut strips? Something with not much grain showing.

Also I'm not sure how glue would adhear to the clay. Unless you use CA?I've honestly never attempted to do this. All the best and glad you returned.

Hey! thank you so much for your kind words, i opened a thread in other part of the forum and they also told me about walnut, maybe i will go that way. but im not sure i understand what you mean with the glue and the clay :/ 

Cheers.  Sounds like walnut will be best. The glue, I was just wondering if you are sticking Wood strips to the clay model itself. Not too sure how Wood glue would stick too well to clay. Or you might have to use super glue.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

Hi! yes i think it will be the best or at least im hoping lol, about the model i wont be doing that, this model is too tiny and i want the ship to be quite big, around 30 inches long maybe a bit more, so im going to use the clay model you see in the pictures to draw the blueprints of the frames and the keel for the ship and then enlarge it to make out of wood :P

Ohhh now I see. Sorry. Now I'm with you. 😆

Your doing a good job. 

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Keel laying party. Sounds like progress.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Well guys i have news for you, good ones and bad ones, so ill give first the good ones, i've been working on the kneel and i have it pretty much finished, the bad ones is i found out everything inside the decks is wrong, like really really wrong, so i had 2 options keep on with the original ship just as it is, or modify everything on top of the deck to make it look more realistic and useful, tell me guys what would you have done in my situation? 

I ran into a similar situation with a ship that I consider now as one of my best.  See the Mercury in my signature.  I wanted to do it using a plank on bulkhead method and it fell flat and looked awful.  I started completely over using a solid hull which I was more used to.  

Not to say you should start over with a new method but sometimes taking the lesson you learned and going back to the beginning is a good step forward.  Even if it feels like a step back.  

I look forward to seeing how your ship comes together.  Welcome back.  

2 hours ago, DSiemens said:

I ran into a similar situation with a ship that I consider now as one of my best.  See the Mercury in my signature.  I wanted to do it using a plank on bulkhead method and it fell flat and looked awful.  I started completely over using a solid hull which I was more used to.  

Not to say you should start over with a new method but sometimes taking the lesson you learned and going back to the beginning is a good step forward.  Even if it feels like a step back.  

I look forward to seeing how your ship comes together.  Welcome back.  

Well actually its kind of frustrating but im already working on it :P there are several issues ill be fixing and hopefully it will make it look more like an actual ship, but ill be keeping up the shape of hull! :D

One of the modifications i plan to make is changing the scale of everything on deck, i'll reduce the size of everything i can so the actual decks look bigger and we have more space for actual stuff that is not on the ship right now.

Some changes are a a must, so if someone was hoping for the exact same ship of the model by revell im sorry to disappoint you, i'll try to keep as much as i can of the original ship but there's stuff in this ship that is just irrational, for example i found out that the deck at the bow is higher than the banister.....

here is a picture i found online where you can spot this mistake

maxresdefault (8).jpg

And this is just one of the several mistakes so wish me luck and let me know what you guys think, the feedback is always amazing to keep pushing the project, suggestions are welcome! 

Well guys here is a huge update, it's 4:07 in the morning in my country but i had to post it before going to bed, after i think a week maybe more maybe less, and lots of math, i finished drawing the kneel and frames, the drawings are far from finished as i need to "polish" the drawing way more, but thats easier, once i get it clean i'll make them way bigger, my point is this ship gets about 30" long, once im done with that ill work in the rest of the details from the ship to get a nice and big set of blue prints, sorry for the quality of my phone camera, please let me know what you think! thats really important for me.

17793440_1762876204026184_2003485059_n.jpg

Looks like a good start.  There are not many who design the boat and then build it.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

5 hours ago, captainbob said:

Looks like a good start.  There are not many who design the boat and then build it.

Bob

Thank you Sr! I know its far from done but yesterday i felt very pleased when i looked at all of the frames, sure it was kinda hard but it was something i really really enjoyed doing, now i will put myself to work in the rest of the details like the water line and so much more but at least the core of the ship it's already there :P and im really happy about it

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! i just wanted to let you guys know im still working on the blueprints, but its going a bit slow because im also working on my main job, by the way i wanted to ask you, what kind of wood would you use for this look? a dark one like walnut? or maybe something more light like holly and then stain it?

I've been thinking lots about  this project and i keep on finding questions, but i dont know if i should make them here? or maybe each question in a different post in the right category? i know im too noob lol but please be patient i will learn i promise! thank you so much for your interest in my post im trying to give my best

9482777404_68e3615cc6_h.jpg

• The title was changed to Jolly Roger by KAT