Royal William by Denis R - Euromodel - Scale 1:72

that is some frame work going on there....  have fun fitting in those decks  :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Denis, I had to remove almost 10 mm of the decking after cutting it longways to make it fit.

Hi Brian

I think I took about 1mm off at the bow end to make it fit.

Denis.

that is some frame work going on there....  have fun fitting in those decks  :P

Frank

Hi Frank

The bulkhead frames were a bit hard to do.

I think two of them are a wee bit out of line, I had to cut about 1mm out of the slots on the deck to make it fit.

I have put that down to over cutting two of the spacers.

Denis.

Hi all.

This is how the deck was fitted after cutting.

Push deck through stern bulkhead frame.

Move it along till you get to bulkhead frame 6 from the stern ( or bulkhead frame 2 in the kit ) , now drop it down , you will have to bend it a little to get the deck onto the frames.

Now fit the deck.

Denis.

post-303-0-89028200-1414301589_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-09454000-1414301607_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-06894200-1414301623_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-46186600-1414301638_thumb.jpg

Having enjoyed your SOS I'm looking forward  to this complex model unfold. Looking really good so far and it is in very safe hands!

Earlier you referred to Titebond glue - do you get it locally? I've never seen it in any Wellington hardware stores.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi Alistair

Nice to see you back on the log again my friend.

Also thank you for the words.

Re Titebond, I got it from Carbatec wood working shop just up the road from me, it cost about $26nz for  473 ml .

Go on line to www.carbatec.co.nz

Hope this helps you.

Denis.

Re Titebond, I got it from Carbatec wood working shop just up the road from me, it cost about $26nz for  473 ml .

Go on line to www.carbatec.co.nz

Hope this helps you.

Denis.

Ouch.  It might actually be cheaper to buy a few bottles here in the states and ship it to you guys.  Home Depot has the same size bottle of Original Titebond for $3.97, which is about $5.05nz.

Or, after looking at shipping, maybe not.

Shipping of up to 20 pounds to Auckland via US Postal Service flat rate box is $85 (108nz) so it wouldn't be worth it unless you wanted more than 5 of them I guess, and who knows what customs would do with a box full of glue bottles.

Still, wow, is everything really expensive like that in NZ, or just certain types of things that have to come from overseas?

Ouch.  It might actually be cheaper to buy a few bottles here in the states and ship it to you guys.  Home Depot has the same size bottle of Original Titebond for $3.97, which is about $5.05nz.

Or, after looking at shipping, maybe not.

Shipping of up to 20 pounds to Auckland via US Postal Service flat rate box is $85 (108nz) so it wouldn't be worth it unless you wanted more than 5 of them I guess, and who knows what customs would do with a box full of glue bottles.

Still, wow, is everything really expensive like that in NZ, or just certain types of things that have to come from overseas?

Hi Brian

Yes welcome to NZ it is very expensive here we have only 4.5 million people, so some one has to pay for the MP's don't they.

For example I can get an milling machine from Australia for $750au + $97au for shipping + import cost ( we have to pay that for any goods that we import over $60nz ) and when you add that up it is still cheaper by $1,000nz if I got it from New Zealand ( work that one out ).

Another one for you, a car licence cost about $65nz on top of that we have to pay $459nz ( about ) ACC.

Don't get me started Brian ha ha.

Denis.

Denis,

looking forward to watching you go from here! After seeing Brian C's comments elsewhere about the quality of Euromdels, I've started paying attention. That's an impressive looking box of materials. Looked in on your SoS, I'll be following along for sure.

Sincere Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

task accomplished :Whew: ...... well almost!! :P ... looks good Denis.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi all.

This is how the deck was fitted after cutting.

Push deck through stern bulkhead frame.

Move it along till you get to bulkhead frame 6 from the stern ( or bulkhead frame 2 in the kit ) , now drop it down , you will have to bend it a little to get the deck onto the frames.

Now fit the deck.

Denis.

Nice Work Denis... coming along nicely

- visi

Denis,

looking forward to watching you go from here! After seeing Brian C's comments elsewhere about the quality of Euromdels, I've started paying attention. That's an impressive looking box of materials. Looked in on your SoS, I'll be following along for sure.

Sincere Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill

You are welcome to look in any time my friend.

Denis.

Hi all

Just a little update .

I have put extra spacers in at the stern bulkhead frames as two of them looked a bit warped , I do hope they are OK now ??.

I have also dry fitted the other two decks just to make sure they fit Ok.

Will now take them off and fit the stringers and parts 18, 28 and 29.

Denis.

post-303-0-39840200-1414572947_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-74854700-1414572961_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-60210500-1414572977_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-55138600-1414572991_thumb.jpg

Hi Denis

good progress and great work. We can already see the model grow up. The pictures give an good impression of how the RW will come along next (?) year...

Cheerio and good luck

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Hi all

Just a little update .

I have put extra spacers in at the stern bulkhead frames as two of them looked a bit warped , I do hope they are OK now ??.

I have also dry fitted the other two decks just to make sure they fit Ok.

Will now take them off and fit the stringers and parts 18, 28 and 29.

Denis.

Denis

You are motoring along nicely - good job

visi

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work so far Denis.

Any thoughts on what you'll use for planking on this one given you've got all that Byrnes hardware at your fingertips?

I've picked up a byrnes tablesaw and been experimenting with some timber and found plain old macrocarpa has a lovely honey colour that looks rather nice. I've knocked up some sample fittings like riding bitts and it's pretty nice with a careful touch that doesn't splinter edges. Smaller fittings and turning probably wouldn't suit as it frays and the end grain isn't stable. Matai would probably be better for detail.

I'm thinking there's a combination of native timbers that might suit most needs if I look hard enough. Any input welcome.

Nice work so far Denis.

Any thoughts on what you'll use for planking on this one given you've got all that Byrnes hardware at your fingertips?

I've picked up a byrnes tablesaw and been experimenting with some timber and found plain old macrocarpa has a lovely honey colour that looks rather nice. I've knocked up some sample fittings like riding bitts and it's pretty nice with a careful touch that doesn't splinter edges. Smaller fittings and turning probably wouldn't suit as it frays and the end grain isn't stable. Matai would probably be better for detail.

I'm thinking there's a combination of native timbers that might suit most needs if I look hard enough. Any input welcome.

Hi Timmo

Thank you for dropping in on my log.

To be truthful I have not given the planking a lot of thought yet .

Are you talking about hull planking or deck planking ??.

I have some Kauri but when I started to sand it down it was very soft so I gave up ( but will try again ).

I have not looked at Matai yet.

Yes I know macrocarpa and is a nice colour but I have never tried to mill it down to 1 x 4 or 2 x 6 etc  for planking.

I would like to see some photos of what you have done please, send by PM if you like.

What do you think of the table saw ??.

Denis.

Hi All

I have been busy sanding the bow filler blocks, what a job that was.

Also done the false keel parts.

Denis.

post-303-0-44589100-1416537910_thumb.jpg

Hello Denis,It looks like you did not read the fine print as to the requirement of scaffolding for such a tall build(take heed ,workman's compensation are eye boiling you),in the east not far from you bamboo is used for scaffolding,But aside from that little error you seem to be getting along well without my suggestions(Well)keep up the good work. PS a little stick in the spoke ,(how is the wall painting going)yeh right. Edwin.

Hi Edwin

I have no idea what you are talking about ??????.

Re painting walls, are well that's another story Wife has given me till Christmas ha ha.

Next week I have a man coming round to put a new PC in for me.

Denis.

Hi Brian

It depends on how good my planking is ha ha, but I think I will just varnish it.

Denis.

Edited by Denis Pink

Hi Brian

I may end up doing the same, but I was happy the way the SoS turned out.

Did you use enamel or acrylic , I prefer enamel myself ( and I think I would put a drop of ochre or black tint in it ).

Denis.

Hello Denis, Very nice looking progress, I purchased "The Period Ship Handbook" by Keith Julier, ISBN 1-85486-081-x ,The first model in the book is The Royal William,70 pages of the build,Got it through Amazon via Greener Books Ltd,London,UK. A used copy but looks new in every way costing 10.95 cn,and only 6.49 cn to ship,a good deal on book and shipping,took 8 days to get here.Edwin

Hi Denis, just catching up, she's looking really nice, and she's looking really big!! too. You wont have to add on to your house ,will you?????  :D

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Frank

She is about the same size as the SoS may be a bit larger ??.

I do hope not ha ha re add onto the house, if it came to something like that I will have to kick my tenants out of my house next door and use that as my model room.

Denis.