footrope stirrups aagh!

"take a length of 0.5 mm wire & form a small loop in the end" say the kit instructions. I tried I really did! Then I hit on this idea. I stripped the casing from an old phone extension cable , inside are several strands of very thin copper wire. I took 2 strands, 3 times the required length & folded them equally over a fine drill bit, grasped the strands of wire between thumb & finger close up to the drill bit & twisted the drill bit round a few times & then gripped the loose ends in a mini clamp & carried on twisting till I got to the end. This creates a nice rope effect with a neat hole for the footropes to pass through. I then passed the stirrup through a pre drilled hole in the yard to leave the required length sticking out ,the spare wire was then divided in two & laid the ends along the spar, this was then lashed over with fine thread & coated in watered down PVA glue, when set ,I painted the yard & stirrup black. Sorry if I am "Teaching my Granny to suck eggs"but it worked for me!  Geoff

Edited by geoff

its the bit that hangs down from a spar or yard arm to string the footropes to enable the crew to let out or furl the sails. I got this from the kit instructions & Lennart Peterssons book "Rigging Period Ship Models" I hope that's right ! ? Geoff

Actually not a bad idea. I always have trouble when it comes to that stage. Thanks for the tip.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Would it be possible for you to post a pic of this? Just so when it comes time to build I have an idea in my head. Thanks.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

I like to use wire for the whole footrope assembly. Seems like its the only way to get the look of actual hanging rope at small scales Thread does not obey the laws of gravity at those sizes. I suppose one could use thread but it would have to be stiffened with thinned white glue to get it to shape correctly. BILL

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Reklein, when you say you use the wire for the whole length of the footrope assembly, do you use wire for the actual footrope as well? I am just about to start this stage as a break from  ratlines!  Thanks, Geoff

Thanks Geoff!  I've tried all sorts of ways to try to get footropes to have the correct hang  and this is a nice idea.

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

Hi Geoff

I used thin wire for the footrope stirrups on my Endeavour. Wire is only way you can get them to "hang" vertical. I used linen thread for the foot ropes. If you crimp the wire stirrup tight around the footrope you can then get the footrope to "sag" by teasing it into shape, wetting the footrope will help also. Here's a couple of pics of the result.

Steve

post-819-0-32912500-1404039451_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-66916000-1404040221_thumb.jpg

Edited by shipaholic

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

this is what I LOVE about MSW no "Prima Donnas", just keen ship modellers who are willing to share their knowledge,ideas hints & tips etc. As a relative newcomer to wood shipbuilding I am willing to learn & pass on any hints & tips I may come across even at 71 (just)! Geoff

The foot ropes are not hung from a hole in the center of the yard for a good reason, they are suspended over the rear of the yard on the side used by the top-men do their sail handling. Staying on the yard to do their work, is the reason, climbing a rope ladder will quickly show you why, your feet end up out in front of you and leave you hanging from your arms. Keeping your feet to the rear and resting your body on or over the yard can't be done with your feet out under the yard where they would tend to go if the foot ropes were hung directly under the yard, might be able to keep yourself from falling, but you would do little sail handling. Some good methods about how to make the foot-rope hangers and stirrups are noted in this thread, also in a past post there was explained a good way to hang them. On a model it may make no difference to you where and how you hang them, just as long as it is close, your call.

jud

Edited by jud

Geoff,

Here is a link to an article Chuck wrote detailing mast and yard work, and he uses wire to make the foot ropes / stirrups etc.  It's a great article.

Dave

Current build:    Rattlesnake - 1780  Model Shipways

Builds:               Mare Nostrum  1:35  Artesania Latina

Cutty Sark  (I believe it was an AL kit)

davespindlephotography.com

Dave,Thank you so much for sending me the article,it is brilliant & so clear!I will read it again&again! as I said before,this is what makes MSW so great! Geoff            PS. Please excuse my (extreme ) ignorance but who is Chuck ? I found the piece you sent me excellent & I would like to read more of his material.

Edited by geoff

Hi, Geoff

Chuck is Chuck Passaro, MSW Administrator.  You will find him mentioned a lot on the forums.  I am new here, so I'm sure others could provide you with a more detailed "bio".  His "practicums" are priceless and the main reason I just ordered the Mayflower kit.  

Dave

Current build:    Rattlesnake - 1780  Model Shipways

Builds:               Mare Nostrum  1:35  Artesania Latina

Cutty Sark  (I believe it was an AL kit)

davespindlephotography.com

You may also note that the method of rigging footropes changed with time. From about the middle of the 19th century on they were attached to a second jackstay (the first one is for attaching the sails) running a bit behind the top of the spar. This jackstay was an iron rod held by eyebolts screwed into the spar.

From the last quarter of the 19th century on the whole foot-rope/stirrup assembly was made from wire rope. Particularly the foot-rope needed to be wire to reduce wear, as seamen began to wear shoes/boots more commonly.

Electronic shops sell copper wire from 0.05 mm on spools or you may look into this on-line-shop for a more consistent supply of wires.

You can also make the stirrups from a rope stiffend with varnish, attached with a fake eyes-plice to the jackstay and with another fake eye-splice at the end for the foot-rope.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg