HMS Jason by Beef Wellington - Caldercraft - 1:64 - Artois-class frigate modified from HMS Diana 1794

Cheers Guys for the comments and likes, its nice to share a journey with friends.

Sjors/Mobbsie - its not an exact replica of me, I had to scale down the pecs to fit  :P

Well, a major milestone arrived slowly. Finally the first planking is complete.  This time the bow presented me a few problems to solve, all self inflicted because I've deviated from the kit.  Because I had decided to customize the bow so I could fit the bowsprit through rather than sitting in a notch on the stem, it essentially took away any anchor points for the fo'c'sle bulwark.  The solution I used was to shape some balsa blocks to the appropriate shape and temporarily mount on top of the bow filler blocks, this allowed the planks to be given the appropriate curvature (after soaking) and then securely glued edge on the plank above and below (Hoepfully this will also provide some protection during upcoming phases).  To ensure that the top of the bulwark has the right shape for the plansheer, I needed to shape the uppermost strips lower edge to key onto the plank below.  Because this strip would be the most susceptible to damage, I used one pre-shaped strip curved completely around the bow.  The bow on this ship looks deceptively simple but has some tricky curves, but even in this rough state the lines seem to be showing through very pleasingly.  Note that the two shaper blocks are very slightly different height which gives the illusion that the top strip is not level, but it is....I must have checked it a million times.

post-891-0-56687100-1425952635_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-96741100-1425952639_thumb.jpg

A scaled copy from the AOTS Diana book to get the correct shape of the bow and many diagrams cross referenced

post-891-0-52932900-1425952648_thumb.jpg

Finally a technique I found very helpful, but unfortunately not until I was nearly done.  To keep planks edge on during planking I built these little 'U' shaped pegs out of some extra lime strip (the length of the slot is slightly deeper than the width of a strip) which can be used in many places to help keep strips edge on in some the tricky curving areas at the bow.  The uppermost strip is only approximately shaped at this point, I want to wait until the deck is on the determine final dimensions.  In the waist, I once again deviated from the instructions and carried the planking 2mm above the top of the  bulkheads rather than stopping at the top as indicated in the instructions to allow for the thickness of the 1mm false deck and 1mm deck planking.  Any excess should be easy to remove if necessary.

post-891-0-00948700-1425952644_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Beautiful planking all around Jason, wow!  That first planking can stand on its own.  Can't wait to see what you do with the second planking.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for kind words Wayne, Eamonn, Carl, Mike and the 'likes'...

I do have a couple of question that may be very basic but I'm struggling to answer:

1. Should the external dimension of open gunports (i.e. without lids) and those with lids be the same (which would mean that the actual dimensions of the port aperture would be slightly smaller for those with lids because of the lip)?  Or, should the aperture dimensions be the same, which means the ports with lids are slightly bigger
  2. Should the lower edge of the port be parallel to the deck or the keel and should the sides of the port be perpendicular to the keel?. (The former resulting in a slightly trapezoidal shape toward stern and bow).  

Hope this makes sense, any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

The ports should all be the same width and height, Jason.   The planking is cut back from the port slightly to allow for the lip.   The upper and lower edge of the ports generally follow the gundeck sheer while the sides are vertical (perpendicular) to the keel. 

Do you have a copy of the AOTS Diana?   Excellent resource for this class of frigates.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, I was about to give you a dollar for every time I referenced the AOTS book, but guess I can't now :-)  Yes, I have it and am referencing it extensively. The side profile on pages 68 and 69 show the gunport lids (cut cut back planking) and the un-lidded ports exactly the same size which I didn't think was correct as you point out above, of course printing at this scale makes a hard analysis difficult.  Thanks for helping with my question!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Thanks Jim and Sjors, appreciate the kind words, it was a long time coming and still needs some more sanding to get it where I want it to be.  I'm going to wait for some warm weather as I find it quite relaxing sitting outside with a suitable beverage sanding, and theres no push to rush it.

Gunports

Cracking on with the gunports.  This seems to be yet another problematic area with this kit, and here was my approach to hopefully assist other builders of this kit (My thanks to Ray who first trod this path and whose shoulders I'm standing on).  The instructions are no help here, and the plans inaccurate.  I used the AOTS extensively to estimate as best I can the dimensions, and this required plenty of tinkering.  The supplied template is a waste of time as it forces the ports to be square, rather than the bottom cill following the sheer of the deck.

Bulkheads 10, 11 & 12 are key to laying out the ports as these bulkheads dictate the positions of gunports 7, 8 & 9.  Not mention in the instructions/plans is that gunports 8 & 9 are spaced farther apart than all the others, which are equidistant.

The arrows indicate the edge of bulkheads indicating the potential extremities of the ports, 7 & 8 are 30mm apart, 8 & 9 37mm.  The remaining ports were then marked to be 30mm apart (which does actually match the supplied template).  The edge of the plank was used to determine the appropriate height.

post-891-0-88884400-1426355024_thumb.jpg

This resulted in two problems, the first was expected, the second not.  I had suspected that the gunport 1 would interfere with bulkead 4, and had build up additional material so this could be cut away without (hopefully) critically weakend the structure.  

The unexpected problem came with gunport 2 and bulkhead 5 as these coincide.

post-891-0-37974600-1426355008_thumb.jpg

I was determined  to have equally spaced ports, so resorted to some emergency surgery, basically cut some spare 5mm ply cut approximately to shape and inserted between the bulwarks and against bulkhead 5 - the same approach taken before planking for bulkhead 4.  Plenty of glue was used to secure this as strongly as possible.

post-891-0-83879700-1426356696_thumb.jpg

Once dry, the ports were cut and fully and trimmed to approximate shape.  First picture is gunport 1 (showing how much of the bulkhead is compromised), followed by ports 1 & 2 showing the same

post-891-0-10818600-1426355012_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-47731300-1426355020_thumb.jpg

Finally the overall shot showing how alignment looks, still work to do here but starting to look like a ship rather than a bathtub!  All ports are 30mm apart, except for the aforementioned 8&9.  I'm a happy camper.

post-891-0-55510000-1426355029_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Jason,

To me that is about the only possible solution. Since you have an inner and outer planking neither the rigidity, nor the strength of the hull will suffer. You could have inserted additional frame pieces on both sides of the port. Well done

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Jason

Another Diana problem sorted I was lucky as I mentioned, in my log,  that I saw the problem as well, and as in my log remarked the port positions before I cut them and hope they are in about the right place, you have described problem and the solution better than I did, as in the end I went slightly towards what looks right. Just wait until you get to the rigging plans !!! I am spending a lot of time looking at Pegasus and the Pegasus rigging plans.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Have started the gunport linings, this will be slow.  Fine tuning the ports so they align appropriately is the order of the day.  The technique I'm using is to first install the lower cills, and to ensure that the cills are horizontal athwart-ship am using a strip of wood to ensure it sits flat on both sides.  Lots of double checking to ensure that position is correct.  Once lower cill is fixed, the upper is glued using an appropriately sized spacer to keep upper and lower cills parallel.  Side linings added last.  

post-891-0-15234900-1426982275_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-23271700-1426982336_thumb.jpg

And finally, happy Spring everyone!  I keep mentioning waiting for warmer weather to get some good sanding done on the hull.....well, this is the scene this morning, looks like I'm still waiting....

post-891-0-31551400-1426982271_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Nice work on the gunport linings Jason.

When summer comes you'll be wishing for this spring time ...

Carl

• 1 month later...

Hi Jason,

In pix #132 it looks like gun port #9 is against bulkhead #9. Is that true?

Thanks,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Sorry Jason, I meant bulkhead #11.

Mort

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Mort - yes, the aft edge of port 9 is against bulkhead #11, and the forward edge of port 8 sits next to bulkhead 10.  I used these as the anchor points to determine the placement of all the ports forward and aft of these with a 30mm spacing.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Thanks Jason. Forgot to ask, what does the pencil line in the photos indicate?

Thanks again,

Mort

Mort - I simply marked the top of a plank with a sharpy and ran it along the sheer of the deck so I would have a reference point when it came to marking the gun ports.  Photo of the 'before' state is here which I think illustrates it best...

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7219-hms-diana-built-as-hms-jason-1794-by-beef-wellington-caldercraft-164/page-7#entry270602

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

That's what I thought.

Thanks again. 

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent work Jason. I love following your work!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

• 2 months later...

Lou, Jessie, Brian - thanks for kind words, great to have such great modelers as you here for support!

This post is a little atonement, its amazing what errors suddenly becomes obvious just as you think a step is behind you...in the interests of full disclosure.... :(

I had cut port #1 with the sides of the gunport running directly athwartships, this does not appear to be correct and I needed to rmove the lining and recut and line so they are more perpendicular to the hull lines.  It required a some filling on the interior lining, but result was pleasantly not obvious - at least to my eye.

post-891-0-51943700-1439741006_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-73457900-1439741009_thumb.jpg

You can see from photos below that I'm hoping to install the sweep ports as these would be visible from the inside.  These were made from some 5mm strip, assembled into a tube.

Next problem was much more painful to recognize.  Somehow, I managed to fit gunport #8 in the wrong position and also position a sweep port in wrong place.  This needs to be fixed to allow room for the side steps in the correct position.

post-891-0-75500900-1439741012_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-42131400-1439741015_thumb.jpg

Surgery has begun....

post-891-0-49384900-1439741019_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hey There Jason... Your fix seems to be coming along nicely.. be back on track in no time.. 

Looking Crisp by the way !

All The Best Bud

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Just the one or will you be moving multiple ... Good to see you back, though not at the job at hand ... Although not the nicest thing to find out, it's better to find out now, than later when it would be much more difficult to 'repair' if at all ...

Carl