Model Expo's parts picker

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MT1036

Anyone used this and what did you think?

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

I've used something similar in the past and they seem to work great for getting small items into cramped spaces.  May be useful for rigging blocks and the like.

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

May be useful for rigging blocks and the like.

That's exactly what I'm hoping:)

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

The hard part is to let go of a part cleanly without disturbing it's location. It seems like one or the other of the feelers is always puching to one side on the release.

It's another one of those cursed things that needs practice

The nice thing is that you can pass the holder through the model or from one hand to the other without losing hold of the part. Like a hemostat without the big loops on the back end

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

I have one of these and find it useful for picking up very small parts from parts trays and surfaces.  Makes it easier to keep the part from slipping away to hid under the bench.  Also good for holding very small parts for painting, however you have to leave the part in the holder until it is dry enough to put down.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Have one in the shop, it is about 18" long and I use it to pick up dropped nuts, bolts and washers mostly, from places my hand won't go. Once you get a grip it holds firmly. If hobby size has the spring toned down it should work well without marking the part, mine would mark wood and plastic well. Maybe using a magnifying glass and a small file and some crocus cloth  the gripper could be smoothed out with rounded edges.

jud

Edited by jud

The old ones that the computer techs used to use were pretty good but on the newer one I have the spring is off and the little wires are so flimsy they don't keep their shape.  So I never use it and stick with tweezers.

I've never tried to use it for rigging but it seems like you might end up snagging a line if you're not careful with the thing. 

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal