HMS Fly by ccoyle - FINISHED - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

I added stump masts today. I think these make a huge visual difference, as now the knowledgeable viewer knows this is supposed to be a hull model and is not simply an unrigged model.

fly2.thumb.jpg.91b267b490b6ed7ebf82b61734291281.jpg

BTW, I did not glue the masts in, just in case I ever get a wild hair and decide to add real masts -- an unlikely event, I feel, but one never knows.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Rather than spend a great deal of time creating spare masts to stow the ship's boat on, I decided to display the boat on the stand. I glued down a couple of pieces of strip wood with a slot between them to hold the boat's keel.

fly3.thumb.jpg.c47e622328cb83394dde455a38090648.jpg

I had planned to install the hammock cranes, but I've discovered (or perhaps rediscovered) that the cranes came with the upgrade kit, not the original kit, and there are thus no cranes shown on the plans. I will have to peruse some other build logs to figure out the spacing for them.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

17 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I will have to peruse some other build logs to figure out the spacing for them.

I took a look around at the many fine, completed examples we have of both Fly and Pegasus in our galleries, and I now have a good idea of where to place the hammock cranes and a few other details. I would also like to thank all those builders for not arriving at any consensus at how exactly those details should look, which I feel grants me some leeway on how I wish to proceed!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I added rope railings to the inboard entry ladders. Most -- actually all -- of the photos I have seen of these show ropes on both sides, but it seemed to me that the post at the aft side of the top of the stairs would make the already narrow gangway just that much narrower and hazardous, essentially useless, so I decided to add only one railing. I figure anyone who would need to use two in actual practice would have been considered a hopeless landlubber.

PXL_20221208_230802668.thumb.jpg.9e4f466f945b535ead39a683331feb1f.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

well, no one can blame you for not taking your time on this model. 😅 Love your work Chris, it's neat and tidy. I have this kit on the shelve, but not the upgrade kit. Must order that one as well if I have understood you correctly for wooden gun carriages and the small boat. 

6 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

Must order that one as well if I have understood you correctly for wooden gun carriages and the small boat.

Yes, those came in the upgrade kit. But if I were to do this one again, I would do the upgrading differently. The guns in the kit are Amati off-the-shelf parts and not period correct; you can order replacement gun sets (including carriages) from Chris at Vanguard, although he does not currently offer 6 pdr guns -- only the carriages. I would also use one of Vanguard's or Master Korabel's wooden boat kits to replace the cast metal boat. None of those aforementioned items was yet available back when I started in on this project.

it's neat and tidy

Thanks. Well, the deck is, for the most part, but you'll notice I haven't included close-ups of some parts of the hull, which is the primary source of my dissatisfaction. Lessons learned!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

More progress.

The Swan-class sloops had a very small number of belaying pins, located in racks along the quarterdeck railings. As usual, these off-the-shelf pins benefit from being chucked in the ol' Dremel and being turned down a bit.

fly5.thumb.jpg.52a172e672b328ed338b28efdcc01f1a.jpg

And the hammock cranes are done as well. No netting -- sorry. Just don't feel up to the additional effort. The black line is also a little on the thin side, but I didn't have anything on hand that looked 'just right', and all the other available cordage was too thick.

fly6.thumb.jpg.da965fde82da104bcafa70cbedff4c37.jpg

Believe it or not, there is not much else to do. I'm planning to replace the kit swivel guns with parts from Vanguard Models once they are back in stock, and I also plan to add one or two of the anchors to the display. I also ordered a brass name badge -- she deserves at least that much. So, once all those things are in place, I will report back, but that's pretty much it for now.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I have to agree with @No Idea I think your build looks really nice. I’m glad you revived it and good luck finishing up.

3 hours ago, No Idea said:

Chris I think that most model ship builders are their own worst critics.

Nevertheless, it is to these same cruel taskmasters that we must ultimately answer. 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Nevertheless, it is to these same cruel taskmasters that we must ultimately answer. 😉

Much truth in that, Chris.   Your Fly looks excellent.   Will she get a case to reside in?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 6 months later...

Hey, I forgot to add a shot of the name plate, also added back in December.

flynameplate.jpg.411e3924aace91b4198837b3a33bc0fa.jpg

Swivel guns should (hopefully) be on the way soon, after which I will post a set of final photos.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Image didn't come through, Chris.  Just a bunch of code.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That's very good work. Very clean and tidy. I plan the same - mast stubs only should I ever wish to rig but that'll be a distant day...For now (well, when I get to where you are) I'll also be happy with just a hull.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

• 2 weeks later...

Finished

So, first of all, if anyone is interested in why this model is finished without having any masts or rigging, allow me to refer you back to post #25.

I ordered resin swivel guns from Chris at Vanguard Models. These are very nicely done and far superior to the off-the-shelf metal ones from Amati. I was surprised, though, to discover that the guns did not come with any mounts. I don't blame Chris for this at all -- I never asked about the mounts and he never said anything about whether they were included. The lesson here is it pays to ask! I tried several methods to create mounts: wire (fail), cobbling something together from leftover PE parts (fail), and finally hit upon yokes made from scrap black construction paper. These look fine as long as one doesn't view them from head-on, otherwise they look impossibly thin.

The final shots:

fly01(2).jpg.d1036546530fe9509527a91eaeef9036.jpg

fly02.jpg.13156d0f1398b2fe25f99a6fd6eaa25a.jpg

fly03.jpg.b4b7b0ec536e6321f49d02b6ac366af9.jpg fly04.jpg.a25799f8e80608959bf3884be50e6488.jpg

fly05.jpg.be3db7af47a74e5502a44e135ba05565.jpg

fly06.jpg.fe9f3b73fc3a65ff3e4c3df595cdca36.jpg

fly07.jpg.6dfef6b9bb6b2a35d938a263495c6b90.jpg

fly08.jpg.426af1f58ab8129747f5824248a98dee.jpg

So, that brings this seventeen-year-long, on-again off-again journey to a close. I do have another wooden subject waiting in the wings, but I'll divulge that project at the proper time.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

She looks great Chris, and she makes a nice hull-only subject.  Congratulations - I bet it feels nice to get a 17 year old monkey off your back! 😁

Rick

Current Build: MS Mayflower II

Completed: MS USF EssexMS USS Constitution Cross SectionMS 18th Century Armed Longboat  

Very nice!!! Hopefully I can get Fly to the same level of finish. I'll be very happy if I do so.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Very well done, Chris. Display her proudly. You must have kept her in a clean room as with me, it would have had 17 years of dust being blown off.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Well done! I think it looks great without the rigging, it really brings attention to the lines of the hull and all the fittings.