Beavers Prize by Mike Y - 1:48, 1777, POF (Hahn style)

Bill,

"Hahn style" involves a lot and the modeler can go with as much or as little as they wish.  As Mike pointed out, there's stylized framing, the jig for working upside down (and also right side for the interior).  There's also minimal if any carlings used during decking process.  No knees, etc.  Simplified keel, stem, and stern deadwood.  I'm thinking there's a bit more but I'm in the middle of a "senior moment" on those points.

Few cents: I am not sure if simplification is a part of the style (except framing). I thought it is more of "let's leave some details up to the builder".

Bill, here is a link to the Oliver Cromwell plans preview from Lumberyard website (the preview is distorted and not suitavle for building, you need to purchase real plans to build): http://www.dlumberyard.com/Plans/cromwell.pdf

As you can see, some things are simplified. Like Mark mentolned - knees, carlings, deadwood, stem, stern,

But nothing stops the builder from reading up and making a correct version instead of simplified one, like I did. It will not change the "style".

However if you change the framing style - it would not be a Hahn style anymore.

But it is really a fuzzy term. Hahn was "anti-purist", so hope he would not mind people deviating from his plans even if building from them :)

Mike, she really is looking beautiful, well done.  The shots in the sun really are spectacular and something to drool over :-)

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Few cents: I am not sure if simplification is a part of the style (except framing). I thought it is more of "let's leave some details up to the builder".

I can't speak for your ship, but on the plans I have for my build and some other ships he did plans for, the keel is a single piece as is the stem.   And you are correct that leaving detail up the builder is part of this.  I'm wishing I had the L'Hermione monograph as well as the Belle Poule monograph when I started my build...  so many details...  <sigh> 

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Working on the keelson.

Decided not to rely on the plans due to possible error here and there, and fit it to the hull instead.

Fixing the keelson parts to the hull with masking tape:

post-5430-0-40410400-1474740376_thumb.jpg

Marking frame boundaries:

post-5430-0-77970700-1474740374_thumb.jpg

Keelson markup completed:

post-5430-0-19718100-1474740378_thumb.jpg

First fit after milling, some notches are not wide enough. Three iterations on a mill were required, because these pencil marks are not precise enough (hard to get the pencil right, the angle was awkward):

post-5430-0-81050500-1474740378_thumb.jpg

After the fitting. Will need to make some notches deeper to avoid gaps:

post-5430-0-39880100-1474740379_thumb.jpg

Now rinse and repeat!

Mike,

Would a marking knife give you better result than a pencil? I know that EdT swears by this method of marking. Your ship is looking great, by the way!

Grant, I have a scriber, but the sharp angle between the marking tool and frames and keelson makes it really hard to use anything except pencil.

Ideally some hook-shaped scriber could be used, but I was too lazy to make one just for a single use.

Grant, I just realised that I am an idiot - thin knife should fit if you poke it from the outside, not from the inside of the hull.

Thanks for the comment that pushed me in the right direction. Will re-mark the remaining pieces of the keel, should save some time for fit-and-cut iterations.

Beautiful work Mike. Amazing. I just went through whole build log this morning with coffee and it is real enjoy. Amazing work. Thanks for sharing :) Kind regards

Past build: BRACERA

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do... Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"

KIND REGARDS!

ELMIR

We are all our own harshest critics Mike. You have a superb build there.

We all benefit from a fresh set of eyes to see what we can't. It's the old saying 'can't see the wood for the trees'.

I hope to tackle fully framed one day as you have been confident and skilled enough to do.

Keep it up.

excellent work Mike !

beautiful craftmanship   :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

If the frames are square to the keel, you can clamp the keelson piece to one side of the keel on the inside. Then you can use the marking knife from the outside without the keel getting in the way.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Keelson is done.

Bolts are simulated with black monofilament that is glued with gel CA.

post-5430-0-24895200-1475177059_thumb.jpg

Then CA is sanded away and the wood is scraped with xacto blade to the desired finish:

post-5430-0-48808300-1475177060_thumb.jpg

I start to like scraping more than sanding with fine sandpaper - paper leaves some super fine sawdust in the wood pores, while scraping removes it and leaves a better finish.

Edges are chamfered with the plane and fine shaped by scraping (because keelson is a bit curved, plane is not perfect for it):

post-5430-0-59201600-1475177061_thumb.jpg

Tung oil applied:

post-5430-0-40613100-1475177062_thumb.jpg

Applied the oil before gluing - it would be really hard to reach the corners between the frames and the keelson when keelson is installed.

I find the oil really forgiving - you can scrape some parts after the installation to make sure they fit perfectly, and then re-apply oil there - it will perfectly blend with the previously finished areas. Very forgiving finish.

End result:

post-5430-0-80406500-1475177063_thumb.jpg

I am not happy with the fit quality - everything was perfectly fitting when not on a hull, but on a hull the join angles got a bit out of alignment, leading to gaps: 

post-5430-0-08898600-1475177065_thumb.jpg

Will spend more time fine-fitting on the hull next time! :)

Mike,

Lovely work on the keelson. You can get a hollow plane for those curves, or a spherical ...

Will spend more time fine-fitting on the hull next time!

There is no next time for the keelson ... just a next build

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Yes, that is comforting - once I reach the top decks - I will already learn enough on mistakes done in the bottom of the hull. Nobody will see the deep parts of the hull anyway :(

I would be super happy if anybody will ever look deep enough into the model to find a loose joint in the keelson. :)

Edited by Mike Y

Good evening Mike.

I have to agree with you on the scrapers.  Your work looks amazing.

Thank you for posting the info on the mini scrapers earlier.  I have a full size set and from your posting info I found a place in Canada that didn't charge $50 for shipping $17 worth of merchandise.

http://www.woodfrog.ca/default/woodworking/hand-tools/scraping/lynx-mini-scraper-set.html

They are quite tiny!!!

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Where will you display your craft's result ... You should give people a chance to see it :)

At home, so far. I am greedy :) Even if I will decide to donate it to the museum - do not think they will take it. Stockholm maritime museum has more models in their collection that they want to display. Some of them are top notch, way better then mine, but still not on display. Carl, but you are always welcome to see it, you live fairly close by ;)

Good evening Mike.

I have to agree with you on the scrapers.  Your work looks amazing.

Hope you enjoy them! They are not smooth enough for the finishing work, but nothing can compete with tiny xacto blades for finish scraping. No nicks or dents, super clean surface left :)

Super work on the Keelson!  With all of those joints, angles, edges, etc, it's almost as if you've created the perfect blend between craftsmanship, engineering and just sheer talent!

Patrick, thanks a lot! You hit the nail - it is a lot about engineering, I am really attracted to this period and style because it shows a pretty complex, but beautiful curves of the ship hull. Shipbuilding industry of that centuries was closer to a large-scale workmanship, with aesthetics being a big part of it.  

Edited by Mike Y

Well, I sometimes see deers around, and there are 3 sheeps, 2 pigs, some chicken and few rabbits in 500m from my apartment. Does it count? :)

Anyway, you are welcome and I'm not joking.

Super result to date Mike. I have read all of your posts on this log and I have not only learned much from yourself and the comments of others here, but I also greatly enjoyed seeing a such a fine model emerge. I do not think that your work so far would have come out so well if you had not from the very start been seeking excellence and been willing to redo those things you were not satisfied with. Looking forward to the rest of the build!  :)

Mike,

an American living in Norway

Current build:  Galley Washington - 1:48 - Scratch POF - NRG plans