Beavers Prize 1777 by Mike Y - 1:48 - POF - Hahn style

Thanks for advice, Mark! It is something I could never guess before starting to fair the hull, it can only come with experience! Will cut "just outside the line".

Finished 4 frame blanks and cut 4 frames in total. 

Last blanks were laminated using really strong clamps, that squeeze the glue under blanks like the previous clamps were not able to do.

post-5430-0-22203200-1411301896_thumb.jpg

Surprisingly, I cannot find any difference in lamination quality when I look on a cut frames. Thickness and consistency of lamination looks the same. Probably I was overthinking it :)

What turned out to be more important is an edge joint of a blank pieces - they should fit really tight, my table saw can't give such a clean cut, so on a last few blanks I used a belt sander to make sure that joints are perfectly tight. And that is visible on a frames.

However, I will need to trash one frame. It is all due to the ugly grey spots on a frame blank stock. When sanded, they look even uglier. On a right side of a photo - healthy swiss pear, on a left side - smoker's pear :)

post-5430-0-16475000-1411301726_thumb.jpg

Seriously, why are they included in the timbering package? What am I expected to do with such wood? It is not suitable for a modelling, I will just trash all the wood with that grey areas, and there are quite a lot of planks with that defect :(

Or I am being picky? Don't think so, the defects in the wood are striking. 

Edited by Mike Y

Mike

Not certain why I was avoiding "Oliver Cromwell" but curiosity got to me.

Am I glad I visited.

I'll be back!

Alan

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Mike,

Hang onto the blanks with the defects.  Unless the discoloration is visible on the outside of the frame where most people will look, it won't be seen between the frames. Also, some variation in the color can provide and interesting appearance. I'm sure on the real thing all the wood didn't match. :)  I do agree that there is an issue with the supplier.

The joints are a hard thing to get right.  Cut, sand, fit, and rework as needed.  A pain, but a necessary one if the hull is unplanked.

Everything from here is looking really good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, you are right, the outside edge of a frame is more important. But on the outside it looks simply like a dirty grey stain.

I understand that wood have a colour variation, and it is good. But long grey spots are not ok :)

Alan, welcome! Happy to see you :)

Ahoy Mike :D 

I am with you on this. While a big part of woods beauty is the diversity; there is a point where it goes to far.  In most other fields; products with less desirable traits are sold as seconds. Expecting this from our wood suppliers is not asking for the stars. 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Hey Mike,

I usually cut my frames and leave about 1/32" outside of the line. But if I'm cutting and I stray and hit or even go over the line, i throw the frame away and make another one.

Ben

Hi Mike,

I like what you are doing. The practice frames are a great idea. A plank on frame model is on the horizon for me and I hope to learn with you. I have considered Lumberyard myself and your experience will help me decide.

Have you contacted Lumberyard about the substandard material? Maybe they will replace it. I purchased a small amount of sheet stock from them to see what the quality was like and it was very nice clean wood.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Ok, I probably was too emotional while writing previous post. Reviewed all planks today, separating them into "normal" and "trash it" piles.

31% of planks are defected (big grey areas, etc). Luckily, on most of them defect takes around half of the plank, so in total I am going to trash around 15-20% of planks. That would be probably ok, because I am hoping that there was a reserve for oopsies.

Close-up of defected wood:

post-5430-0-40237900-1411409389_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-75343600-1411409416_thumb.jpg

Normal wood:

post-5430-0-45224400-1411409442_thumb.jpg

Even without grey spots, note the colour deviation on a "normal" pile.

it is clear that Lumberyard have a "prime" wood, that is used for laser cut parts. They are really good - quite consistent dark colour, amazing:

post-5430-0-19569900-1411409502_thumb.jpg

For some reason, for frame blanks Lumberyard use second sort pear. That is fully understandable, with Hahn method most of the wood package is a wood for frame blanks, and using cheaper wood probably makes a big different cost-wise. 

But I would appreciate if they just offer a prime wood for frame blanks, for extra cost..

Will continue with that wood for a while. If after 10 frames it would be obvious that this wood is too bad - will recycle all frames and make a new ones with a wood from Hobbymill. I saw their swiss pear in a various build logs, and it is very consistent in colour. And I have boxwood from Hobbymill, which is the best would I ever saw. No problem with it, happy customer.

P.S.: I have no intention on blaming Lumberyard, but it would be fair to post a photos of a wood that you get in a package. Sorry for rant, but it is quite disappointing to feel the second rate customer, who got the second rate wood.  

Edited by Mike Y

If you decide to order pear from Jeff, please have him send you a sample first or else commit to using all of the wood from the Lumberyard for another purpose. I purchased the pear for my Hannah from the Lumberyard (in billets which were milled later).  I had no problems with the quality other than a few pin knots.  I ordered an extra board of pear from Jeff and it was a very different color.  Jeff's pear is "pinker."

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Yep, saw in the Swan or Echo build logs, that Jeff's pear is quite different indeed. Darker, more cherry-ish :)

Next frame, this time I am an idiot. Missed a tiny crack on a frame blank, after sanding it is becoming very clear: 

post-5430-0-63964600-1411416082_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-69820000-1411416088_thumb.jpg

The colour variation of a brighter/darker pear might be actually good. Hard to say, need to make at least 10-15 frames and dry-fit them, to see how it really looks together.

Now the plan is simple - assemble the keel, install 4 "key" frames (I selected frames 4, 10, 16, 23), make sure that everything is measured correctly - and then start a frame mass-production! :)

Just wanted to chime in on the wood coloring, I got the Swiss pear from Jeff for my Pegasus and the entire order the color is very consistent, this is because Jeff tries to make your entire order from the same slab of big stock for this reason.

I have no idea how Dave at Lumberyard does his milling but you would hope he does it the same way.

Ben

Ben, actually just recently I was looking on a photos in your log, looking on your nice wood, thinking "yep, there is Pear and pear...." :)

• 2 weeks later...

Removed the nasty laser char. In hindsight, it is good that I selected a timbering set without laser cut frames, the char removal process is messy and definitely not pleasant. In his youtube videos, Dave recommends to remove the char using the shaving blade. It works only to small extent, because char is pretty deep in the wood.

Here are the laser cut pieces on a different phased of cleaning:

post-5430-0-03441500-1412664693_thumb.jpg

Another issue is a bad precision of a laser at some lines, they are cut with "steps", so lots of wood should be filed away to make that surface smooth:

post-5430-0-97167400-1412664796_thumb.jpg

Some joints are too wide - they fit tightly with char, but if you start to remove the char (and the "steps") - then the joint is too weak: 

post-5430-0-09795600-1412664867_thumb.jpg

So I cut away that joint and scratched a new one :)

Another improvement was a deadwood - supplied laser cut deadwood was made of a single piece, which is too far from desired level of correctness. So I made a better one. 

But it was a hell of a job to nicely fit all the curved timbers together! It is easy to make a tight fit when parts are straight, but when they are curved - it really needs a skill. Here is how ugly it looks when just cut:

post-5430-0-17951900-1412665088_thumb.jpg

Next time will try to cut smoother... It took around 4 hours of sanding and filing and sending and filing to make them fit. 

Resulting fitting is not great, but next time will do better:

post-5430-0-95216100-1412665492_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike Y

End result:

post-5430-0-91192800-1412665360_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-90259300-1412665373_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-84439300-1412665389_thumb.jpg

Now the fun part - cutting the rabbet. I do not have any power tools to do it, so will make some hand jig and will slooooowly cut it with chisel and knife. Now when the keel is assembled, it would be a pity to ruin it by making a bad rabbet.

Edited by Mike Y

Very nice work, Mike, on some difficult areas. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking good.  The rabbet is no more difficult than the aft deadwood.  Mark it out first and then take your time.  If you find yourself getting hurried then stop and come back later.  I start my rabbets with an 11 blade that the tip has been broken off of and either a steel ruler for the straight sections or a french (or ship's) curve for the stem.  You can grind the angle for the rabbet into a straight-edge razor blade and use that as a scraper to deepen the rabbet and avoid oopsies.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Toni, thanks for the advice! I am probably just overthinking it :)

Digged through various blogs here - indeed, looks like a light passes of blade, chisels and scrapers will work nicely. Just do not use power tools and do not rush it. Hope it will work out!

Omega, Mark, thanks a lot!

Ahoy Mike :D 

If you are intimidated by this task you are not alone. I would suggest the same procedure you used on the frames. Get some scrap wood 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Thanks everybody for the advices, it is really much easier than I thought :)

After a lot of experimenting with scrap wood, it turned out that scrapers will not give a straight enough line. There should be something that ignores the grains and goes straight.

So I ended up with a following process, not saying it is the only correct one.

Use flat chisel to set the straight line for the rabbet, making two cutoff lines.

post-5430-0-83615700-1413127354_thumb.jpg

Cut away the wood between those lines with a blade:

post-5430-0-41080200-1413127362_thumb.jpg

Use triangular file to shape the rabbet. Do straight passes:

post-5430-0-83351900-1413127368_thumb.jpg

That triangular file was the key part, it keeps the straight line, not going sideways due to a wood grain.

Also if you need to add an angle to the rabbet - just change the angle of the file:

post-5430-0-73563400-1413127508_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-08150700-1413127539_thumb.jpg

However, I decided to make rabbet much later, when all main frames would be cut.

Before it, would be hard to determine the proper angle of the rabbet, how planks will go. I am not going to glue the frames before they are all cut anyway :)

Assembled all parts on a framing jig:

post-5430-0-04665600-1413127666_thumb.jpg

It nicely decorates the modeling area :)

post-5430-0-30158800-1413127761_thumb.jpg

Now I know how to make a nice frames, keel is ready, so let's make some sawdust and produce all remaining frames!

Luckily that model will have just 40 frames, due to a bigger (non-correct) spacing between them, so hope to make it in 3-4 months. Winter is coming! :)

Edited by Mike Y

somehow there is always more time in the winter months!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

can i have a front row seat please? watching with intrest

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Glad I stumbled onto your build Mike, very interesting to see how these 'scratch' kits are supplied.  You're doing a great job, look forward to seeing more.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

isali, there was no filling for deadwood. Usually triying to shape it so it will fit without a filler...

Thick PVA based glue acts like a filler by itself :)

Experimented with a black tissue paper to make joints more pronounced, but it makes them too black, too bright. Not sure it is a good thing on that particular parts.

Jason, Kevin, welcome!

Mike,

I picked up some artist's pigment (it's a powder) at an art supply shop.  Mixed with a bit of water than PVA, it does a nice job on simulating the caulking.  The more powder you use, the darker the glue line.   It seems to work pretty nice and I'm debating it with myself.    Ed Tosti (EdT) has mentioned it several times in his Niaid log.  Here's a link:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/232-hms-naiad-by-edt-160-frigate-38-1797/page-5?hl=pigment#entry8075  and another one:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3453-young-america-by-edt-extreme-clipper-1853/?p=119364

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Mark!

The hardest part is to decide how I want it to look like. Trying to imagine an image of a finished model, and fit various coloring on it :) best way to drive yourself crazy into a modeling block! :)