Civil War Picket Boat by rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways

I think John hit the nail on the head.  The concept of ramming a vessel to stick an explosive charge into it then backing off in order to 'pull the trigger' strikes me as shear lunacy.  Try your gun first, Bob.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie,

As I recall, they didn't back off before firing.  The torpedo would have just bobbed around a bit.  I think John hit it right... "suicide spear".  Reference the Hunley...

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Augie,

As I recall, they didn't back off before firing.  The torpedo would have just bobbed around a bit.  I think John hit it right... "suicide spear".  Reference the Hunley...

And a concept still used today....recall USS Cole a few years ago.....

Thanks all, for the interest and kind words. "Suicide" seems a fair description of the mission of this boat. Of the fifteen crew, two died and eleven were captured, but rhe mission was successful and the target sunk. There seems to be little certainty about how the torpedo was deployed and detonated, but it is clear that it involved getting right up to the target to place the torpedo.

Final work is now underway, with completion in the next few days.

Bob

Getting to the finish line. The anchor is now made and installed. I followed the suggestions made by John (Jim Lad) and did an Admiralty pattern anchor of just over three feet in length with a folding stock. The anchor is made of boxwood and the stock is brass rod with small beads at each end and a slice of styrene tube as the center stop. The shackle was made from brass strip bent to shape.The stock worked until I glued it in place.

I also  made the mast, which is a simple piece of dowel, tapered to shape, with two blocks ( of unknown use) attached at the head.

Bob

post-186-0-53153100-1362777085.jpg

post-186-0-05749500-1362777105.jpg

post-186-0-31966500-1362777123.jpg

post-186-0-39088100-1362777141.jpg

post-186-0-23973100-1362777160_thumb.jpg

Nice anchor!  Could the blocks be for flag halliards?

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks, Grant, John and Augie.

John, I'm sure that you're right about the cable length. I redid it to provide about 35 feet of cable, which I hope would be enough for a boat working in relatively shallow river waters.

Augie, I've seen different theories as to the use of the blocks, but nothing definitive.

Bob

post-186-0-92136800-1362830622.jpg

The picket boat is now complete. I have set the steam plant components in place and have rigged the funnel guy lines to eyebolts in the funnel and rail. With that, work on the model is done.

My camera battery required recharging, so I'll post a few more photos of the finished model tomorrow.

Building this model was a pleasure. I will again commend the kit designer, Bob Crane, and Model Expo for a fine product. I would recommend it to anyone with or without experience.

Bob

post-186-0-67801800-1363025144.jpg

post-186-0-05461300-1363025162.jpg

post-186-0-22728400-1363025182_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-94997100-1363025198_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-11634200-1363025215.jpg

Very nice work. This makes into a fine model. Thanks for showing us what can be done with this kit.

Russ

Looks great.  A very neat and well done build, Bob.  I'm looking forward to seeing some more pictures of it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Excellent job, Bob.  I'm looking forward to the final pics :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Bob, Well done. That is a excellent job you did on a fine model.

As always it was a pleasure following along. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Bob, this turned out to be a beautiful model.  Speaking from experience, I am sure Model Expo has sold many of these kits because of your fine work.  I cannot wait until the day that I start mine.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Bob - thanks for bringing us a fine example of a build we don't get to see too much of.  I love the details that you were able to include at this scale and the realism it adds to the build.  Well done!

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Beautifully made Bob - as you always do. An interesting subject and a very fine model to highlight it. Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks, Ryland, Bob, Grant and Alistair.

Here are the final photos.  By the way, the mounting is only temporary. The model will go in a case. Now that this project is done, I am going to try to redo my prior build logs for Fair American, Kingfisher and Syren, at least in very summary fashion.

Bob

post-186-0-98896300-1363092241.jpg

post-186-0-58856800-1363092260.jpg

post-186-0-05011000-1363092282.jpg

post-186-0-74553800-1363092297.jpg

post-186-0-73055700-1363092316.jpg

post-186-0-44411700-1363092332.jpg

post-186-0-33570900-1363092346.jpg