Belaying pin rail

So I just brought all of my running rigging down to my belaying pin rack and it's pretty damn busy

post-7286-0-14684400-1404584584_thumb.jpg

Whats the proper way to finish off the ropes?  I was thinking about CA'ing what I have in place then making some rope coils to cover the ugliness?  Any suggestions or criticism is welcome, nothing is permanent yet :)

Current Build

Rattlesnake

Previous Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HMS Victory cross section

Well this may be a little too late, but.... The way I do it, is I just pull the thread through the pin hole, then put a minuscule drop of white glue in the pin and "plug" the pin in the hole trapping the thread. Snip it and place the coil over it "to cover the ugliness"... :)

Nice work with this section, btw.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I do it the way Ulises suggests.  It's not technically correct but is easier to manage and minimises the chance of a line pulling loose later.  And rope coils cover a multitude of sins!

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

Well this may be a little too late, but.... The way I do it, is I just pull the thread through the pin hole, then put a minuscule drop of white glue in the pin and "plug" the pin in the hole trapping the thread. Snip it and place the coil over it "to cover the ugliness"... :)

Nice work with this section, btw.

Thanks Ulises, that makes a lot of sense, now I just have to decide how much work it would be to pluck those pins out.  I would have to redrill the pin holes as they were tight to begin with, adding the cord is going to make it even tighter.  And to be honest I'm not sure I have a lot of room on the rail to enlarge the holes enough for this.

I do it the way Ulises suggests.  It's not technically correct but is easier to manage and minimises the chance of a line pulling loose later.  And rope coils cover a multitude of sins!

haha, sins indeed, I may need to cover the entire build in rope coils :)

6 pins and 12 halyards? Missing a pin rail or is there  a routing problem?

Jud the kit called for a single pin rail with 6 pins, I can't find any decent pictures that show the main mast pin rail on the victory but I found others showing the pin rail for the fore and aft masts and there are certainly more pins in those.  I have enjoyed this kit but it has it's inaccuracies (E&T and AntonyUK have build logs for this same kit on the site and did quite a bit of kit bashing to bring more accuracy to it.

Current Build

Rattlesnake

Previous Builds

Or you can sand the pins thinner ;)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Divarty,

I belay the line to the pin with several figure 8 loops and the last loop passing under the crossing line.  With all lines properly tensioned, I secure the belayed line with dilute white glue.  I recommend against CA glue as it can cause premature brittle failure of your rigging.  After rigging completion, I add seperate rigging coils fabricated from the appropriate rigging line using a jig.  As noted, some lines will be paired up on a single belaying pin.

Regards,

Pete

post-5855-0-06522600-1404613160_thumb.jpg

post-5855-0-17633300-1404613161_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pete Jaquith

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Maybe it's my tri-focals but I see 9 belaying pins on that rack??

Not the trifocals just my inability to count past 6 :), it is indeed 9 pins on the rack.

Divarty,

I belay the line to the pin with several figure 8 loops and the last loop passing under the crossing line.  With all lines properly tensioned, I secure the belayed line with dilute white glue.  I recommend against CA glue as it can cause premature brittle failure of your rigging.  After rigging completion, I add seperate rigging coils fabricated from the appropriate rigging line using a jig.  As noted, some lines will be paired up on a single belaying pin.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks for the input and the pictures Pete, much appreciated.

ryan

Current Build

Rattlesnake

Previous Builds