HMS Victory by robipod - Caldercraft - 1805 version - first build

Daniel,
that you see that snow on the weather-board of sides is convolute bunks in  a net for bunks covered by a tarpaulin.

In respect of the shown picture - "Trafalgar battle",  written to order of George IV in 1823 ), identical sizes with linen "Victory Lord-Hau, or Glorious Before June 1794",
Philip-Jacques de Loutherbourg( 1795).
Этапара of pictures had to become part of sequence of the battle pictures related to the Hannover dynasty of monarchs after cosmetic
repair of main halls in a palace Sent-Jayms...

Daniel,
that you see that snow on the weather-board of sides is convolute bunks in  a net for bunks covered by a tarpaulin.

post-1438-0-73072000-1370356457_thumb.jpg

In respect of the shown picture - "Trafalgar battle",  written to order of George IV in 1823 ), identical sizes with linen "Victory Lord-Hau, or Glorious Before June 1794",
Philip-Jacques de Loutherbourg( 1795).
Этапара of pictures had to become part of sequence of the battle pictures related to the Hannover dynasty of monarchs after cosmetic
repair of main halls in a palace Sent-Jayms...

Just want say thank you to all. This is really interesting creating the model and having these discussions about the "real one". Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Oh, and for Fortress:

спасибі всім вам. це дійсно цікаво створення моделі і мають ці дискусії про реальну.спасибі, що знайшли час, щоб поділитися своїми думками 
Edited by robipod

Rob in Calgary

Hi Bob

It sure is fun is it not, I just finished copper plating the hull of my AL HMS Victory. I started at the water line,I also used the latex gloves as I find the CA very hard on my hands, but making things more difficult. My method that I used was to apply one of those little tubes to the CA glue bottle. They have a very tiny hole inside for the CA, making and controlling the CA much easier. I then would pick up a copper plate with my tweezers turn it over and apply the glue to the bottom of the plate. Then I would very careful lay the plate on it's edge up against the stop or the previous plate and lay it down, this gave me a few seconds to position the plate with very little CA on the face of the plate. I hope this will help, enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence

Lawrence... just figured out how to do this... should have done for Daniel too. However, I do have a question. How do you get one of those little tubes applied to the CA glue bottle? Do you glue it on? When you put the tube on, how do you seal the glue bottle for the next time use? It sounds like an idea I should try. 

Rob in Calgary

I think you are doing all right :-)

The overlap is difficult as the material is far to thick in scale. Some modelers use hand made plates with the rivets just on two sides in L-shape and not on all four sides, thus implementing the overlap.

If you look at historic coppering, the overlap is almost not visible - as are the nails :-)

Here a picture that wefalk shot at the HMS Garnet and showed here some time ago:

http://www.wefalck.eu/mm/maritime/chatham/100220-72.jpg

Cheers, Daniel

Daniel

Just going over these comments and realized I did not thank you for the picture of the rudder and your comments. Very much appreciated. I can see that there is not much overlap as you say. I was somewhat confused by some of the books and info I was reading about overlapping the tiles but in the end I just figured as you mention that the scale that we are using it would not reflect and besides, I also figured it would look nasty if I really did try to overlap the tiles. I just stuck to the 50% stagger on each strake. Thank you for joining in. As said, really appreciate the input.

Rob in Calgary

Totally understand some of the comments re copper tiles and mounting them. Does this ever take time. I've only done this in almost a week. Supposed to rain tomorrow. Will break my 'no daytime work in the shipyard except weekends' if there is a substantial downpour. 

It may be another two months before I get both sides done. ... one plate at a time.... :)

post-1276-0-23918300-1370578682_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

• 3 weeks later...

it's been a hectic couple days here in Calgary. Have been evacuated as I live in the downtown area. Staying with friends up the hill a few blocks away. it is an awesome start to the 'day after'. Took this a few minutes ago. A bit deceiving as the downtown core is less than twelve blocks away from this spot. The panorama view has distorted it.  You may have seen the flood pictures. My victory is safe and dry on the 4th floor however there is no power to keep the music going... LOL... Well, it is a real break from the copper tiles. Hope to be back in Monday or Tuesday.

post-1276-0-65745800-1371905065_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

Thanks Andy... no person killed here in Calgary evacuation. We are thankful for that today. Was just out a few blocks away this is the story today.. Oh, where the car is submerged.. is a walkway... there was no river 36 hours ago. The lower picture one can usually walk across the twenty foot wide river with water level knee deep

post-1276-0-38458800-1371916083_thumb.jpg

post-1276-0-16607500-1371916084_thumb.jpg

won't post anymore of the flooding... time for rebuilding...

Rob in Calgary

stay safe my friend -hope you and family are safe and ok

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Wanted to give you an idea of some of the destruction in some areas of the city. I am still evacuated but might get in tonight. There is now a huge volunteer effort to help our fellow citizens in the flood stricken areas of the city. We are fortunate. Only one death attributed to the floods here in Calgary. This is 8 blocks from where I live. We will have the area rebuilt in a year or so. Am certain of that. The economy here is still booming. Feel sorry for my friends who lost their houses. Haven't thought about copper tiles now for a while.

post-1276-0-67321300-1372290412_thumb.jpg post-1276-0-29623600-1372290413_thumb.jpg

post-1276-0-79962000-1372290413_thumb.jpg 

post-1276-0-81016900-1372290414_thumb.jpg 

Edited by robipod

Rob in Calgary

From what I've seen in photos, the destruction is incredible, but as you pointed out, given the magnitude, things could have been a lot worse. Houses can be rebuilt, material goods are replaceable. Glad you're ok.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Rob

Real sorry to hear about the problems in Calgary, glad to hear you are back in now.

I hope you and yours are all ok.

I remember to copper tiling, seems like it will never end.

But the thought of new things to progress to keeps us going.

I am now just starting the rigging on the main.

All the best

Nick

Rob, does appear, snow melts too for you ?!

Not disordered - all passes.
Building of models of ships is eternal !

post-1438-0-30926400-1372404111.jpg

It is my native Dnipropetrovsk by a past summer.

post-1438-0-39004400-1372404123.jpg

post-1438-0-68039100-1372404131.jpg

post-1438-0-47393600-1372404141.jpg

It is Odesa - on May, 31 2013.

post-1438-0-26605700-1372404150.jpg

Konstantin

Hi Konstantin: I see it happens there too.

We are over the worst. Spent the last days volunteering and helping others not so fortunate. Here's some of our volunteer gang. We got the basement cleared of water in two hours,

post-1276-0-72202800-1372724888_thumb.jpg post-1276-0-47373000-1372725275_thumb.jpg

and filled the bin in another neighbourhood in less than an hour. We just walked from house to house. There have been literally thousands of volunteers!

post-1276-0-86493800-1372725283_thumb.jpg

It's bin row in the flooded areas niow... the area houses are being rebuilt now... no sense waiting.. Oh, for my fellow Canadians that is Mrs. Harper standing tall on the back of the garbage truck (black T-shirt). She slugged away with us in the muck and water for three days!

The flood only touched a relatively small portion of the city. But is was quite the show.... as said before we are fortunate, almost all will be rebuilt and soon.

post-1276-0-45507800-1372726957_thumb.jpg

But that was yesterday.... today is CANADA DAY ... happy Canada Day to my fellow Canadians...

Celebrations have been moved to three locations today as the main show usually takes place on an island in the middle of the river... LOL... the island is still there but just....

Everyone is trying to make a giant Canadian flag. (This is the east side of the skate park in the west end of the downtown.

post-1276-0-78583500-1372725650_thumb.jpg

So I looked at the Victory this morning and tried my hand at placing a couple tiles. It is much easier putting wood, debris, drywall and buckets of dirt onto the streets. Have lost my touch... LOL... well, will have to destroy a few copper tiles to get back in the groove.. (actually already did this morning so stopped until tonight...)

Here is where I'm at: slow or what! Debating on five horizontal rows. I figure the five rows will end up about the dark horizontal line on the bow. Am proceeding with five unless someone suggests - no way! Figured I better see where the horizontal tiles will lay on the hull so I didn't take the tiles too far up the keel etc.

post-1276-0-37509500-1372725839_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

Rob, I envy and welcome your spirit of collective !
For us, wherein(private) the houses - every owner can clean part of street before the court(and can not clean)...and in city, where at home for many floors is a very rare case, when lodgers will go out to clean the court or even stairwell in an entrance !
Offensively !
And these people dream to become the European country !
Nonsense ! :(

it's still July 4th but barely. Belated happy July 4th to all our friends in the U.S. Best neighbours in the world! Haven't done one tile since the other day.

Edited by robipod

Rob in Calgary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

Just catching up on your build. So sorry about the flooding you went through, but glad things are returning to relative normalcy.  You and I are going through the joys of coppering together right now...I've been at it for a week. Will it ever end?  Stay patient and keep plodding away, you're doing a great job.

Patrick

Thanks for the well wishes. Have been able to start back. Patrick and Lawrence.. it does seem to go on forever. Have made some progress. Photos below. I took one of the photos and electronically flipped it so I could see if the upper tiles are running somewhat parallel. They seem ok. But the eye can be deceiving. Still not sure if I should go to the 5th horizontal. Anyone want to make a comment about a fifth row? Should be at that row by the weekend... well at least I hope!

post-1276-0-55120200-1374219689_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

good morning

imo i would continue down so any gore line would be hidden under the waist of the ship

For anyone not understanding the gore line - it is where the tiles down meet the tiles from the keel up, and in some cases you would end up with a row or two of cut tiles to infill - hence gore/scare line, by continuing down this line would be hidden under the belly of the build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks Kevin. Just getting back to a bit of normal. We've got two flood relief concerts on the go here and I've been a bit involved so it has kept me away from the shipyard and on-line. I think I get the concept you explained of the gore line.. So I should continue down and will go with at least the five rows that I read somewhere, think it was Longridge. Just opened up McGowan's book and decided my hull won't look like the expansion plan of the copper plates on pages 140-141. 

Get to do some tiles tomorrow! That will be the first since the 19th. so much for doing a bit each day... I wonder if the tiles will now start to age differently as I've taken so long to do even the one side. Not sure there is much I can do anyway.

Rob in Calgary

i took months to do mine, but opened them all up at the same time - had no problems so far one year or so down the line wrt to ageing

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Thanks for letting me know that Kevin. I opened all the packages at the same time too. Have been able to do a few kicks at the hull.  This is where I'm at tonight. Am not sure if this is going to turn out ok for the copper plating lines but have not got much choice but to continue now. Have flipped the image. I sense it is not going to be visually correct. But will decide when this side is done. :(

post-1276-0-66286800-1375171919_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

so long as you happy with it, - thats all that matters

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, one side done! Now for more... I have just flipped the image over.. when I was doing the tiles I took images every day and looked at them on the computer to see if I was going "off course".  This did assist and picked up errors as I was going. You might try it too. The tiles really reflect anything in the room. Hard to get a picture.

post-1276-0-46665500-1379272307_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

Thanks Lawrence. I will do better on the other side am sure but discovered part way through that I did the copper tiles on my 'finished side'. Decided early on that one side would be 'first'. Do all the crazy mistakes on one side and keep the other side for final. (read that somewhere)  Have been pretty good at it till now. Oh well. I think the biggest challenge too will be to make sure the second side is done basically the same as the first because the tiles 'should lin-up' in the view looking towards the bow or stern. If I had a second chance would have gone only three or max four rows down on horizontal. Went one too far for sure but I can't change that now on the second side.  I haven't started again yet. Will probably wait for the first rainy evening. We have been having spectacular weather here so it is just way to hard to sit and do copper plating. Just looked at the weather forcast-- periods of rain: tomorrow... LOL.. so much for that excuse! Oh, I have meetings tomorrow including evening.. what a relief... B)

Rob in Calgary