HMS Surprise by Waitoa - Mamoli - Scale 1:75

Hi

Been struggling a bit with motivation between work and family holidays. Managed to get a few hours in today and finished one side of boxing the gun ports. The cannons are not fixed but just added to show where I am going as a bit of a boost. While it took a lot of time to do the boxing I think the result is worth the energy and when painted sure these will stand out more.

Waitoa

post-2873-0-25805300-1442071340_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-52436500-1442071399_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waitoa

That's looking great! I wish I would have boxed in the gun ports like on my last two ships. I am now sanding the metal ones down to fit my framing. Unfortunatey I followed the directions, should have known better.

Waitoa, your pix show going higher on The planking, is this a modification you are doing to make it more like the real Surprise? If so how much higher are you taking it? Also are you planning on framing the inside of the decks with horizontal strips? Please let me know, you're my mentor! Thanks so much.

Edited by Bipper

Hi Bipper,

Thanks for your comments. Be good to see some photos of your build. I have planked the upper deck to make it closer to the real surprise. I have not measured how high I went was basically three of the planks higher than the original plans. On the lower gun deck I used some scrap wood to make the planking thicker inside so it looks more real. Will do the same for the upper deck once I get to it. You can see some of the initial framing for this.

Hope this helps

Waitoa

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi

Still struggling to get the time to dedicate to this build, started the second planking which is hiding some of the mistakes of the first. Will provide a good surface as will fully paint this one. Also hoping the detail added will hide some of the gun ports that aren't as well shaped as I would have liked.

Waitoa

post-2873-0-48633100-1451397116_thumb.jpg

Hey it's looking great. A simple jig made up to check gunport sizes can be made using the size off the plans. A simple square piece of wood glued to a dowel can make it easier to get them all uniform. Your planking is looking great.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

HI

Thanks for the feedback and the tip. Made a jig with one of the cannon port lids last night to check. They weren't as bad as I thought but can see some small issues with the first planking makes them look worse. If anyone else is making this would suggest a couple of extra frames between cannon port 3 - 6 from the bow so that the planks lie right.

Waitoa

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally finished the second planking.  Glad that I decided to paint the hull rather than go for the natural wood finish.  I forgot to label the wood when I unboxed it so ended up using some spare strip I had.  I am not very good at planking but could not seem to get the planking to run on this so had to use a bit of putty.  Hoping that with additional details added and painted it will not show too badly.

Waitoa

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

hey howya goin Waitoa, coming along nicely there mate.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Looks really good. Your a brave guy, Waitoa. I'm inspired.  I'm always scared to move forward.  First off. Damn! Makin those gun port boxes must have been tedious. 

How far did you set them back from the surface of the first planking? How bout a close up. And finally what size and wood did you use for the finish planks? they look wider than the ones I thought

we use.  I have all my gun ports framed in and first planking on but haven't set them in place yet. I'll be adding pics to my log soon. Great job!

16 hours ago, captain71 said:

Looks really good. Your a brave guy, Waitoa. I'm inspired.  I'm always scared to move forward.  First off. Damn! Makin those gun port boxes must have been tedious. 

How far did you set them back from the surface of the first planking? How bout a close up. And finally what size and wood did you use for the finish planks? they look wider than the ones I thought

we use.  I have all my gun ports framed in and first planking on but haven't set them in place yet. I'll be adding pics to my log soon. Great job!

Hi,

Thanks for for the feedback and glad you are still out there.  Think Bindy has dropped out so looks it is you and me.  The gun port boxes weren't too bad I used the gun port lids as the template for the size.  I tried to set them back enough so that the ports would be flush but in some cases they stick out a bit.  Used 5 mm mahogany strip for the second planking with something else which may have been meant for the deck.  This was spare wood I had so that is why it won't look the same as yours.  Need to label the wood when I unbox it.  Photos below. 

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

Thanks Waitoa. Very helpful. Since I have a frame around each metal gunport anyway, I might just go with wood as well. I"ll do some experimenting. The plans and parts are so screwed up, it's kinda of a free for all anyway. Going down to San Diego. While I'm there I'm going to take a look at ship they used for the movie. The HMS Rose replica.  Just for fun mostly but I think It will help me get some perspective on how it should look.

17 hours ago, captain71 said:

Thanks Waitoa. Very helpful. Since I have a frame around each metal gunport anyway, I might just go with wood as well. I"ll do some experimenting. The plans and parts are so screwed up, it's kinda of a free for all anyway. Going down to San Diego. While I'm there I'm going to take a look at ship they used for the movie. The HMS Rose replica.  Just for fun mostly but I think It will help me get some perspective on how it should look.

Hi

HMS Rose is on my to do list.  Been based in the U.K. For a number of years but originally from NZ and may take some convincing of the wife to go the LA route just to pop down to San Diego and see a ship.  Plans and parts seem to be all over the show so will need to do more scratch building.  As it is really a fictional ship I am sure we can fall back on that as an excuse.  Will try to do some more this weekend so can post some more.

Rgds

Waitoa

Have visited the HMS Rose/Surprise in San Diego. It is a little run down now and needs some TLC. I had some pictures of it in my build log that are helpful. You might want to see the USS Constitution in Boston for a better preserved ship. And of course the HMS Victory is outstanding in Portsmouth.

I have found the Lavery book on HMS Surprise very helpful for diagrams if you want to bash your kit in that direction. You can likely get one at the library and photocopy some of the pages. Otherwise it is $$$.

https://www.amazon.com/Frigate-Surprise-Complete-slipcased-hardcover/dp/039307062X

Good to see you making progress. 

18 hours ago, Mayohoo said:

Have visited the HMS Rose/Surprise in San Diego. It is a little run down now and needs some TLC. I had some pictures of it in my build log that are helpful. You might want to see the USS Constitution in Boston for a better preserved ship. And of course the HMS Victory is outstanding in Portsmouth.

I have found the Lavery book on HMS Surprise very helpful for diagrams if you want to bash your kit in that direction. You can likely get one at the library and photocopy some of the pages. Otherwise it is $$$.

https://www.amazon.com/Frigate-Surprise-Complete-slipcased-hardcover/dp/039307062X

Good to see you making progress. 

Thanks, managed to get a copy of this from a discount bookshop a few years back and counting myself lucky as it was very cheap.  Been drawing some ideas from this and peaking at other more talented peoples' blogs like yours for ideas and inspiration.  Thanks for the photos and will have a look.  I think I am taking the "bash" concept a bit too far as the photo attached shows.  Ending up having to scratch build a lot more than I intended but hoping I end up with a better outcome as a result.

IMG_0033.JPG

Hi,

Being able to view other people's builds always provides new inspiration to push further.  This also includes trying to emulate the tidy build spaces you get to see.  Spent the weekend building the Occre model boat building station.  Came together very well after my 8 year old read the instructions and pointed out some of the pieces were around the wrong way.  Instructions are not my strong point.  Now run out of steam to transfer my accumulate treasures to it and clear out some of the clutter but at least I have made a start....

Waitoa

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2017 at 11:25 AM, Waitoa said:

Thanks, managed to get a copy of this from a discount bookshop a few years back and counting myself lucky as it was very cheap.  Been drawing some ideas from this and peaking at other more talented peoples' blogs like yours for ideas and inspiration.  Thanks for the photos and will have a look.  I think I am taking the "bash" concept a bit too far as the photo attached shows.  Ending up having to scratch build a lot more than I intended but hoping I end up with a better outcome as a result.

IMG_0033.JPG

I have the book Frigate Surprise. Learned a lot and valuable in getting a perspective of how the basic shape should be. Still haven't gone to San Diego yet. Sorry to hear the Rose is in disrepair. I have been to Boston to see The Constitution and Plan to go back in June for the arrival of the Tall ships. Good to see you goin for it and making good progress. I work on mine in short binges then slack off for awhile. I'll post some more photos when I've made some respectable progress. Thanks for the pics and updates. They're encouraging. 

Thanks Captain 71, progress is grinding to a halt as work is getting a lot busier and my efforts to scratch build the stern area are proving challenging.  Seeing how you are getting on my spur me to action  

• 1 month later...

Hi,

The metal pieces that were provided with the kit did not fit so will need a lot of scratch building.  Not something I am very good at, built the basic outlines of the stern galleries from balsa.  Still will need some more sanding and my best friend putty.  Will get the rubbing strakes fitted and the hull painted before I try to make the windows etc.

Waitoa

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

Ermmmn, putting on the rubbing strakes - fenders and open to ideas, I have steamed them as I have seen other do but they still spring out a bit.  I have had to pin to get them to lie flat while the glue dries but that leaves me with holes the will need touching up.  Any suggestions on how to do these better, thanks in advance.

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

Have a look at my build, The Mamoli 1:75 Friesland. On Page 2 it shows me putting the second planking on.  Just buy using drawing pins next to the plank. No holes:)

Your build looks fantastic. Good work

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

On 18/06/2017 at 3:03 AM, S.Coleman said:

Have a look at my build, The Mamoli 1:75 Friesland. On Page 2 it shows me putting the second planking on.  Just buy using drawing pins next to the plank. No holes:)

Your build looks fantastic. Good work

Thanks, I have been enjoying your build and impressed at the finish you have achieved, next build is the Santa Maria so I can not hide my mistakes with a coat of paint so trying to get some practice on this one

On 18/06/2017 at 3:24 AM, Mayohoo said:

I usually soak them in a tub overnight and then use a soldering iron to get a partial bend then use clamps to hold it in place after gluing. I use plastic push pins to hold them if clamps can't be maneuvered into place to hold the wood in place. 

Thanks Mayohoo, very jealous of your build and trying to use some of your ideas on mine even though different kits, tried the soldering iron trick tonight and got a better result than just soaking and clamping so appreciate the tip

Hi,

making a a bit more progress, glad of the advice and feedback from Mayohoo and SColeman as the other fender - rubbing strake was a better fit.  Decided a while ago to paint the hull and glad as some of the bow is a bit messy.  Will sort the upper deck planking out once that deck is down as this is the area that I have kit-bashed as this model is not really based on the Surprise but is a re-box of another kit la Glorie.

Waitoa

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

Looking real sweet.  The red on the gunport linings really picks out the look.  Nice :)

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction: