gerty

Willie L. Bennett by gerty - Model Shipways - 1:32 - First Build

Thanks so much Augie and Tim  - as they say, it's tough to teach an old dog new tricks, but glad to make it to the new site. :)

I should( fingers crossed ) have an update with the Planksheer within the next few days -

thanks for looking.

Edited by gerty

Hi Gerty,

Very nice model! I'm working on that one too after putting it aside for a few years - I forgot how enjoyable this kit is. Like you I did all the interior framing and while it is mostly invisible I learned a lot. I just finished the mast and boom, getting ready to work on the rudder, aft davits and all the dredging gear. After that I'll have to find someone to sew the sails for me.

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Tim

Thanks so much; SkerryAmp ( like the champagne ;vD ), schooner ( I'd ejoy seeing pics of your Willie L. Bennett ! ...and I hope to get to the point that you're at now ), and Cap'n Bob !    Much appreciated !  

Planksheer in place ( phew )  - - 3 pieces made up the planksheer on each side to make the needed bend along hull - cut and shaped from the 1/2" wide stip to the final 1/4" wide  - and sanded/shaped planksheer profile along inside edge as shown in plans .

Next up; the Log Rail , Cutwater and Stem and the Side Guards.

thanks for looking -

post-872-0-80374300-1361901122.jpg

Edited by gerty

That's some nice looking work Gerty - and an interesting kit.  It's enjoyable to see all the framework showing through - at least until it gets covered up.  It makes the typical POB look sort of sad.  Looking forward to updates as they come.

Bob

Good work so far Gerty, I´m looking forward to following your progress with this interesting project.

/Alfons

Nice work Gerty!  That is the part I am on myself, only I have 1 on - so guess you are 1 up on me on the plankshears (I have 1, you have 2, 1 up.. get it get it.... ahh, nm bad joke :huh: )

Anyway, it is looking really good!!!  Won't be long before that deck starts to go down!!

-Adam

Hi Gerty,

Your build is coming along very well, and your photographs of her do a great job of showing your work.   :D 

Cheers,

Tim

Gerty,

Your Willy L Bennett hull looks great!  I've been a fan of this boat for some time.  I hope to build it one day.  I'll be following along, and enjoying watching the build, with you progress here.

Cheers,

Elia

Thanks so much for the nice words; Bob, Alfons, Adam, Tim and Elia - its much appreciated !

A new look today !

Stem and Cutwater added, along with the Bends on outside of Hull, the Log Rails and Headrails & Brackets.

Next up, some touching up ( as always ;vD ), and the Guards and the Trailboards.

thanks for looking -

post-872-0-95169200-1362162626.jpg

Edited by gerty

Wow Gerty;  amazing how a few added pieces can totally change the look;   starting to look like a Willie by golly!!  Really nice clean job!!

-Adam

gerty,

It is looking good, I too am building this little gem. I am impressed with you detail and ability. I will be creating a build log here soon.  Keep up the good work, I'll enjoy seeing the build.

-joshukr-

Thanks so  much for the kind words; Adam ( great job on your Willie L. Bennett ! ), Augie and Joshukr ! - it' much appreciated !

Joshukr  - welcome back ! - I enjoyed seeing pics of your Willie L Bennett on the old site and look forward to seeing pics of your terrific work again !

Edited by gerty

Gerty:

She is looking really good. The framing looks just like the real thing. I love builds of boats like this. Makes you think you are right in the shipyard. Nice work.

Russ

I watched you start this one and I too have a kit as well.......I agree, very clean and precise building....will be watching this one.

Rick

Thanks so much for the nice notes Russ and Rick - its much appreciated.   Russ- I had just mentioned to my wife that I feel like I'm building the real boat - its been alot of fun in the shipyard.

The guards have been added with their taper on the bottom edge as plans indicated...as well as small slot for dredge roller supports.

They were attached to the Bends by inserting small brass rods on each end for added strength ( as shown in plans ) - as guards can easily get banged by the boats builder as he continues building ( ;vD ).

Next will be work on the trailboards, rudder and cap rails - although I don't plan on attaching them til after painting.

Also added a rare view of port side ( ;vD )

post-872-0-84203500-1362679302.jpg

post-872-0-97801300-1362679326.jpg

Edited by gerty

I am also building this boat and plan to add my build log soon. I too am building as close to the real thing as I can. I am about to tackle the planksheers but have also completed all the cabins, hatches, engine cover and wheel box with the single screw steering set up. I will also add lights in the main cabin, the forward cargo area and the navigation lights.

Hi Richard - that's awesome about your Willie L Bennett and I look forward to seeing some pics ! - thanks for the note.

Trailboards are fitted and completed !   However, they won't be added til after painting  - the starboard trailboard is shown here just taped in place for the pic  ( :vD )..and also a closeup view prior to painting ( cut out insert from plans an added to trailboard for pic )

Now onto a big step - the decking !

thanks for looking.

post-872-0-67953400-1362771037.jpg

post-872-0-09092000-1362771048.jpg

Edited by gerty

gerty,

It is looking good, seeing your pictures, sure is getting me excited about doing some work on mine. Keep posting the pictures, and it is looking great.

-joshukr-

Thanks so much Josh  - Its great to see that you've posted your build log again & I look forward to following along !

Gerty:

Just out of curiosity, what will be the final treatment of the trailboards? Just glue them on or will there be something more?

Russ

Hi Russ  - - I scribed a line on the 1/16" square strips that make up the trim pieces of the trailboards, and I may make that line a little wider prior to painting.

The trailboards themselves will be painted prior to placement on the painted hull - but it's a good question as to what that painting will look or what colors will be used ...as I've been looking at material for ideas. The plans indicate that the scheme shown in the cutout that I used for the pic is "typical Chesapeake Bay" and that the actual Willie L. Bennett trailboards are unknown.

This cut-out is temporarily placed and will be removed. I can then see painting the trim pieces one color and the trailboard another...and either trying to paint a design that is similiar to what is depicted in the plan. ..or something different.

In the book, "The SkipJack", by Steve Rogers & Patricia Staby-Rogers, Mr.Rogers did a beautiful job painting his SkipJacks trailboards dark blue with red trim, and with light blue S-like lines for the design.

Thanks for the note -

Edited by gerty

Hi Buck - thanks so much for sharing that great pic !   I hadnt seen that !  That's awesome.   

It's neat knowing that the framing on this model is similiar to the framing on the real thing ( as Russ wrote in an above mentioned post ).

Thanks again for the pic & thanks for the nice note.

Edited by gerty