Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

Thanks for the lessons.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks S.os, Nils, Bob, Used to sail, for your kind remarks, and for all those who  added likes.

The last two pieces of the main-sheet tackle the cleats for the port and starboard main sheets.

These were rough milled with a 1/2 inch end mill and a 1/4 inch ball end mill, then drilled for the # 0 deck screws, I also made a countersink out of some 5/32 drill rod because I had nothing small enough to get to the hole past the top part of the cleat.

post-202-0-48847000-1395634566_thumb.jpg

A series of files were used to shape the cleats the following pictures are pretty self explanatory.

post-202-0-53813300-1395634568_thumb.jpg

Here I am showing the large half round for shaping the top of the cleat, the flat file has a safe edge, it was handy for supporting the file with my fingers when shaping the bolt tabs

post-202-0-90158500-1395634569_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-11063800-1395634571_thumb.jpg

The finished rough filed cleat ready for the fine needle files and for the emery and steel wool

post-202-0-49974100-1395634572_thumb.jpg

All mounted, I did have to reshape the heads of the #0 countersunk wood screws a little. I made them into quasi oval heads by setting up a wood mandrel in the chuck to hold the screws while a very fine file rounded the tops and reduced the diameter a few thou.

post-202-0-77436700-1395634574_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-61788500-1395634576_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-11324700-1395634565_thumb.jpg

Now to deal with the rudder.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

It continues to be amazing, Michael.   Almost too clean and precise... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It always intrigues me how you see these shapes inside the stock material. I guess that comes witha lot of machining experience.

Steve

Beautiful, as always.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Twister said

With a 3:1 purchase that's going to require a considerable length of sheet pull and I therefore don't think a standard winchdrum or arm type sailwinch servo is going to fit the bill.

This is an area that I have been ruminating over for some time now.

Bob said

As for sail winch I saw a 5 foot boat, with big sails, where the owner used a reversing screwdriver/drill with a torque control for the winch. 

Bob I think that there has to be a way to make the main sheet work in a similar way to the full size practice.

This is a schematic of the mainsail sheets

post-202-0-14404300-1395681778_thumb.png

and a clearer PDF kingfisher main sail control.pdf

I am thinking that if I have 2 drums that are 6 inches in diameter or 2  6 inch that are stacked with the boom centred and three turns of sheet on each drum and that both drums run in sync so that both port and starboard sheets can let out at the same time then I lessen the distance for the sheet on either side by half.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

I rigged up a couple of drums to test my thoughts about this, I used the camera to make a video clip here

The drum is only about 4 inches in diameter I used a couple of discs of oak left over from a project they rotate 6 times from centre to full swing.  I think I will be able to make this work, In all my sailing I have never used a main sheet rig like this so I was unfamiliar with the actual mechanics of the way it would work.

I full scale I would think that the double set of cleats gives the person working the sheet more control by letting out one or other sides for when the added leverage is needed and then using both at the same time lets out the main faster. That is the way it appears to me anyway.

The deck cleats did double duty as guides, but I think a couple of fair-leads would be useful I am thinking that for display the sheets can be coiled up and when sailing they could be led into the cabin in some simple way.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

A very nice test... well done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Steve, thanks for your thoughts about my machining.

Doris it is always an honour to receive your praise.

Bob, sometimes I wish you lived just around the corner so I could talk to you about design issues, your experience would be very informative.

Tom, thanks and yes I think it is on the right track.

Mark thanks, each day I realize how much more work and testing there is so it is really nice when they work out.

today I also managed to get a start on the reworking of the rudder shaft top. I machined a 1 1/2 inch length of 1/2 inch diameter brass rod to a dome end and bored out the inside to fit the copper shaft and also to fit a piece of square brass tube then slipped a piece of 1/4 inch brass tube in after these were soft soldered into the hole then the cross hole was drilled and tapped 4x40 for the yoke fixing screws.

post-202-0-75262500-1395728745_thumb.jpg

The body of the yoke is just rough machined at this point and the apple wood tiller will need to be replaced with a new one because it is about a 3/64 too narrow. so some masking tape thickener to see how the length looks.

post-202-0-14818400-1395728747_thumb.jpg

I like the way it is articulated now so will finalize the shaping  of the yoke tomorrow. I will make a wood shoe to clean up the transition from the deck to blend in the angles.

post-202-0-44202600-1395728748_thumb.jpg

Michael

Never mind Bob, I wish I lived around the corner from you so I could learn more.

That works beautifully.

Steve

..or rather you could make it a double drum....top for port,  bottom for starboard.  making sure that both sides have equal tension, would insure that the boom would swing smoother,  without the threat of it swinging back wards.  in this way,  one line would be coiling up,  while the other is being let out.  nice video .......cool to see it in action.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Michael, your drum method is very well thought out.  By pulling on both sides at the same time you only need half the number of turns.  Don’t forget to put some sort of stop on the drum.  When the sail is all the way “in” the drum needs to stop even if your finger does not release fast enough.  And when the sail is all the way “out”, if the drum does not stop you end up with tangled line. I always had mine stop just before the boom hit the shrouds.  A purchased sail winch has a mechanical stop built into the gearing inside the winch.  Maybe you can do it with gearing also.

Ah, yes.  There are a lot of people on the forum I would like to live near.  But better the forum than nothing.

Bob

Denis wrote

in this way,  one line would be coiling up,  while the other is being let out.

Hi Denis, after my test I discovered that this does not work for the following reason.

1 There is no fixed position of the sheet to the boom.

2 It is only when one end of the sheet is fixed , ie cleated or a winch stopped that the boom can be let out or pulled in. and this is where the triple purchase gives the crew member the extra advantage of the triple purchase for fine adjustment.

3 If I were to do that then the number of turns for either side of the centre would be doubled. to let the sheet out fully. on either drum.

4 if one is coiling up and the other being let out the the position of the boom does not change, it would only change with a differential speed of the two drums which in my limited view would greatly increase the complexity of the controlling a transmitter even if it was computer programmed.

For all the reasons stated I think that having both drums moving simultaneously and in the same direction will be adequate. of course the test was under very false and controlled conditions I am looking forward to trying the test with a sail bent to the spars and a light breeze to see how the sail snaps past centre as the boat crosses the line of wind.

I will do this test on dry land using a turntable of some sort.

Bob we must have been posting at the same time.

Thanks for your thoughts about the stops, I agree that there will need to be some form of mechanical stop at both ends. A definite stop with a clutch rather than a micro switch which can have overriding effects due to the incoming speed of the switch riser on the drum

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Oh dear its a shame it doesnt work as you hoped - I loved the video !!

Spyglass I am not sure I understand your comment the way it is working is the way I thought it would work. I'm happy you liked the video.

Michael

One thing I got from the video is a much better realisation of the size of the model, she will be magnificent under sail

Steve, yes it is rather bigger than a lot of the models on the forum.

John, sometimes I think I should stay out of the RC conversations as well.

Mark, sometimes I think that I should forget about sailing her.... but then I would always wonder.

Sherry, thanks, I like the term full fledged, conjures up thoughts of flight and wind.

This evening I did a little more work on the tiller, after doing a few sketches this morning to get a better sense of the shape.

post-202-0-99163400-1395813932_thumb.jpg

the next step in shaping the yoke on the mill

post-202-0-64861000-1395813492_thumb.jpg

and the new Lilac tiller, I am looking forward to the fine work on the lilac it is such a wonderful wood to work with and has the aroma of aromatic cedar. and is very fine grained with purplish streaking.

post-202-0-22845100-1395813494_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-03999800-1395813491_thumb.jpg

Michael

The brass looks much better.

Bob

Steve, yes it is rather bigger than a lot of the models on the forum.

John, sometimes I think I should stay out of the RC conversations as well.

Mark, sometimes I think that I should forget about sailing her.... but then I would always wonder.

Sherry, thanks, I like the term full fledged, conjures up thoughts of flight and wind.

This evening I did a little more work on the tiller, after doing a few sketches this morning to get a better sense of the shape.

attachicon.gifkingfisher 004x800.jpg

the next step in shaping the yoke on the mill

attachicon.gifIMG_2799x800.jpg

and the new Lilac tiller, I am looking forward to the fine work on the lilac it is such a wonderful wood to work with and has the aroma of aromatic cedar. and is very fine grained with purplish streaking.

attachicon.gifIMG_2803x800.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2805x800.jpg

Michael

Beautiful Michael,

you are realy resembling your "actual dream cutter" in a splendid done model, I would wish to own such a boat in reality...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Aussie, thanks

used to Sail, the Lilac was a small tree like White Lilac that I pruned in 1973 I only have a little left so I keep it for special occasions.

Bob thanks and I think it looks even better now.

Nils Yes I would like a full size one of these too.

Today I finished up shaping the brass yoke and have almost finished shaping the tiller, it is such a lovely wood to work with.I really like the way the wood curls off when using the chisels. All that is left is the very end. after the shaping with the chisels i just gave it a rub down with a little steel wool I could not bring myself to putting any sandpaper on it.

post-202-0-84062000-1395896665_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-52806100-1395896667_thumb.jpg

As I was shaping the brass I kept thinking of famous line "less is more" usually associated with Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe (1886-1969)   (the origin of the phrase surprised me) and so I continued to shape until it felt better. one of the things that occurred to me as I was shaping was the potential chafing of ropes on the yoke and so a more simple shape lessens that possibility.

post-202-0-13087700-1395896669_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-73028200-1395896670_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-17135000-1395896664_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow I will add the transition shoe for the deck.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Michael , if you have decided to build it just slightly bigger, you could sail with it.

A beautiful work you are doing – great precision.

Have fun!

Dražen

There are no boundaries...

… besides those we set for ourselves.