Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

Russ, thanks.

Mark, I take that as quite a compliment.

John, I'm workin' on it give me some time ;)

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael,

It's your own fault for working at such a large scale.  If you worked at 1:96 a lot of that detail would be invisible! :D

John

This is one reason why I work at 1:400 and smaller scale.  

Michael,

Need to have mini you lift some weights.  Maybe a bolt with a nut on the end.   :P   Your work is incredible I'm far to impatient to make my own rope.  The detail on this model is going to be very nice.  Do I remember right that this will be RC?

that's a big build Michael......really superb work!   showed it to the admiral.....she said I was dreaming! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Michael,

It's your own fault for working at such a large scale.  If you worked at 1:96 a lot of that detail would be invisible!

It was this comment John that prompted  me get involved with this!

post-202-0-50723500-1361986782.jpg

Daniel, I hear  what you are saying with regard to the smaller scales.

Popeye, Sometimes I think I am dreaming too. Thanks for the compliment.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

today I finished gluing in the deck treenails. it was a rather long task. A little more work to finish it and on with the deck cabin and cockpit.

Michael

Alfons thank you for your kind remark.

A little milestone today i finished the scraping of the deck and then a polish with some Medium Steel Wool

post-202-0-51474900-1362463642.jpg

post-202-0-25859600-1362463644.jpg

The deck is smooth enough now that it shines in the right light. I can see the stanchions reflected in the deck, so I am pleased with the overall finish of it, I won't put any oil on it until the structures that need gluing have been glued down.

post-202-0-63639900-1362463645.jpg

post-202-0-11355300-1362463647.jpg

Now I am able to work on the cockpit and cabin structures.

post-202-0-30989700-1362463648.jpg

The main cabin sides are beginning to come together I set the curve of the cabin roof and tapered the length from 12 to 8 scale inches from stern to bow. It just feels better somehow.

post-202-0-62922400-1362463649.jpg

an overall shot I had to use a strap at the bow to stop the hull from sliding around in the cradle while I was scraping

post-202-0-29237500-1362463641.jpg

Michael

If you're getting reflections in a bare deck, then I'd say it was pretty smooth! :)

Ah John it's all smoke and mirrors ;)  Thanks for stopping by. It made a great change working on the fine wood this evening because for the last two weeks I have been helping out a farmer friend, doing rough framing of a 36 foot long 10 foot wide farm maternity shed for his calves.

Michael

Michael,

Several years ago, there was a thread on the Wooden Boat Forum on the restoration of the Bristol Pilot Cutter Carlotta. I have to say I did a double take when looking at your deck pictures-I wasn't sure if I was looking at your model or the deck restoration on Carlotta!

Thanks,

Harvey

Michael:
Very nice finish on the deck. The caulking lines look very good. Excellent work. It does look like the real thing.

Russ

What more can be said. Beautiful deck.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Just fantastic, Michael. That deck is just gorgeous. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

the deck looks great.....and with some of the fixtures in place make it even better.  I wish I had a place to do something this large......but if I did,  the admiral would put me away!  your doing a superb job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Harvey Russ, Bob, Elia, Salty, Mark, Overdale, Popeye. Thank you all for your kindness

Well because it is snowing pretty hard right now Cricket was definitely out..... so I opted for a test paint of the cover boards and a re-coat on the bulwarks.

post-202-0-74708000-1363299492.jpg

It turned out looking quite reasonable we thought,

post-202-0-00543800-1363299491.jpg

so after it dries we will give it a second coat and see how it looks.

Michael

Michael,

I see you are still making nice progress. Deck is looking superb. You do know bending over like that is very bad for your back, even for a mini you!!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

You Know Carl, I told him that! he was bending earlier but he said it was hurting his knee.

post-202-0-67519100-1363301563.jpg

Michael

That is a nice bit of painting. Very crisp lines. Very nice work.

Russ

Sure is nice to have mini you to get all that detail work.  He's doing a great job.  You should give him extra chocolate for his back trouble.  

I think you should repramand him for no drop cloth for the paint can!!  LOL!!!  that's pretty cool!  now......THAT.....is really going to add to the deck work!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

post-76-0-95222300-1363322239.gif ah...er.. Michael.. this is a forum for model ships... not full sized ones.  post-76-0-34740600-1363322309.gif  Yeah, it looks that good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

John, thanks I thought about whether to paint then for a long time, I am glad that I did choose to do it.

Russ thanks , it is a bit nerve wracking because I don't really want to get into masking on the deck. Now the thing that amazed me is the paint is from a tin of Humbrol enamel that I last used in 1980( I don't throw away much) The paint was a bit stiff in the tin partly because it was only 7 degrees in the shop when I opened it and it had been sitting all that time in a drawer, I used a 3d nail, head end down to mix up the paint it was still soft but thick, no skin on the surface just oil. After stiring it up and adding a few drops of thinner it was as if I had just opened a tin of new paint, I am impressed with the quality of that old Humbrol paint.

Daniel, will do, on the chocolate.

Popeye, I didn't want him to feel that he could be sloppy so by not giving him the drop cloth he needed to be cautious, which is good thing for apprentices.

Mark, .....darn it I asked you not to say anything about that.... I don't want to get banned for not using a model. ;)

Thanks everyone for all your kind remarks and for looking in.

Michael