Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

Nice cleat.  Looks like I need harder wood than bass.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Michael, The cleats look good , That is close to the same way I have been making them. I saw Keith's log as well I like how he made them . Your cutter sure is comming together nicely. Amazing work as usual.  I have learned alot from your build logs Fantastic craftsmanship 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Yet again, incredible workmanship - your attention to detail is quite astonishing!

Next you'll be making some sub-sub minature bolts for attaching them to make 'em useable... Burgee halyards perhaps? Wonders will never cease - I know for a fact that while my eyesight is pretty good it's just not matched by dexterity.

I'll always enjoy reading of your inventiveness.

Regards,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

• 1 month later...

Bob, Pete, David, Row, John, Thanks for looking in and for all the likes.

I have been a little quiet on the cutter this last month, I do however think about what to finish next just about every day, and now that I am going to be home again full time I will be able to get more done.(I finished helping my friend build his house) The one thing that is bugging me is the proper painting of the hull, and all the different bits of rigging that need to be finished.

I will have to remove the mast and rigging in order to flip the hull for painting and that will definitely be done within the next month while it is warm.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Michael, I look forward to it

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Michael -

Congratulations on building a house.  Quite a bit bigger project than a model ship, even at your scale.

Looking forward to your progress, as always.

Nice new photo of yourself too.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

I know that I'd have a hard time working on this cutter with the 20 ftr in the shed.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

• 3 weeks later...

thank you to one and All for your kind remarks and encouragement, I will be painting the hull within a couple of weeks.

On Friday I will be taking the pilot cutter to the Seba Pavilion (a stones throw from the water) for a local library summer programming activity launch) no not the cutter but I decided not to rush things and try to get a finish paint on the hull for Friday but to see how easy it will be to de-rig and re-rig her, so to that end I dropped the mast with the minimum of fuss by just slackening the shrouds, that's the nice thing about mounting on the deck I did not have to pull the mast out of the hull. the whole operation took about 5 minutes.

post-202-0-52241200-1404348475_thumb.jpg

My it does look big in the living room.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Two things I take from that are that you have a MUCH easier rig to unship than I do and my schooner could almost be a tender to your cutter!

That is a great pic, it really shows the size and her lines very well. She is beautiful !

very nice looking cutter Michael,

I asume rigged mast and topsail shall nearly be scratching the room cealing.

Looking curiously foreward to the rigged painted model and further pics...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Now that's impressive Michael! Fancy that - using your entire living room as the display case! :P

WOW !  Put a glass top on it and you have a table.

Bob

Holy cow.  Now make sure that visitors don't use it for a coffee table or a foot stool. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Greg, Jay, Mark, Bedford, Nils, Grant, John E, Bob, Druxey, Remco, and Mark Taylor for all your positive remarks.

"Two things I take from that are that you have a MUCH easier rig to unship than I do"

Bedford 5 minutes to de-rig, and 20 to re-rig I found out today at the pavillion.

"I asume rigged mast and topsail shall nearly be scratching the room cealing."

Nils the ceiling in the living room is 10 foot 3 inches so it will be about 3 feet shy

All in all the event was very successful, I had a table set up for children to make paper dorys, most of the visitors were young girls and they built 13 dorys during the afternoon, at the end of the day there was a young boy who came, The photographer came around late in the day, so missed the girls in action building their boats.

post-202-0-72356100-1404515558_thumb.jpg

There was a lot of positive feedback regarding the pilot cutter.

After the event I went outside because there was a bit of commotion on the beach, seems that a boat had been stranded.

post-202-0-09610200-1404514830_thumb.jpg

Close but still dry.

Now to remove the deck hardware and rigging completely so that I can finish painting the hull. and the rest of the seizings and other rigging details.

Michael

post-202-0-71470700-1404514753_thumb.jpg

Edited by michael mott

That's brilliant Michael. To see her on the shore looks so authentic. The primer and paint patches only adds to that! Almost a shame to paint her!

Wow, That's Awesome Michael, Looks like you had a great dat

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member :