Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

Thanks for all the likes

managed a little more work on the supports this evening.

The first picture shows the adjusting screw it is 1 1/2 inch in diameter and the threaded collar is rotated with a 1/2 inch bar inserted into one of the 4 holes.

post-202-0-76694400-1410931769_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-37489800-1410931770_thumb.jpg

In order to ensure that the holes were at right angles to each other I set up a couple of bars (scrap stainless steel out of a used wiper blade) to support the 1/2 inch bar before drilling the other hole.

post-202-0-35780900-1410931766_thumb.jpg

The stern support are only needing the swivel pads and then a bit of clean up on the bolts then I can move on to the bow supports

post-202-0-65795900-1410931767_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-00793500-1410931769_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael, I was nervous just seeing that bare metal so close to your excellent paint job. Those supports look great, though.

such a cool idea.........an adjustable slip.   does this mean that there's another build on the horizon?  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bedford, Tom, Denis, thanks for your kind words. Al those who added likes thank you they are appreciated.

Tom the ends were making me cautious as well.

This ought to calm you down ;)

post-202-0-84975000-1411018017_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-16065200-1411018060_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-24093800-1411018019_thumb.jpg

Denis the idea of an adjustable slip actually seems like a great one, it had not occurred to me that way. There will be some leather wrapped over the wood block., I am pleased with the way they work. They are part of a new way of supp0rting the model to replace the little stand it is presently sitting on.

Denis there is definitely another build on the horizon. I have the plans for an 8 foot Shamrock V, by Rene Sarao of Nova  Scotia as one option.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Bedford, Tom, Denis, thanks for your kind words. Al those who added likes thank you they are appreciated.

Tom the ends were making me cautious as well.

This ought to calm you down ;)

attachicon.gifIMG_4380x800.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4381x800.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4384x800.jpg

Denis the idea of an adjustable slip actually seems like a great one, it had not occurred to me that way. There will be some leather wrapped over the wood block., I am pleased with the way they work. They are part of a new way of supp0rting the model to replace the little stand it is presently sitting on.

Denis there is definitely another build on the horizon. I have the plans for an 8 foot Shamrock V, by Rene Sarao of Nova  Scotia as one option.

Michael

Hi Michael

I was also nervous about the metal being that close to your paint, initially as well!  This sounds like a good solution.

Also, the prospect of a Shamrock V coming from your slipway, would be fantastic!  RC in that one, maybe?

All the best!

Michael,

the adjustable chuck blocks and the stand supports for your cutters  "winter Depot" place look great. They compete with those in the actual boats shed, very realistic, well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

leave it to you,  my friend,  to raise the bar on the slip as we know them.   looking at your idea,  I'd bet that anyone could come up with something that would suit their needs.  I definitely will look into something like what you have done.......it's just toooooo good not to look into it  ;)   never quell those thoughts of yours.........your a very innovative person!

I'll look forward towards your next build!

you should market this one.............."The Motts Slip"

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Very impressive  Michael, Beautifully done . Great pics

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thank you all for your comments and likes.

I was not happy with the way the brass square nuts were looking, so made the decision this morning to replace them with blued steel ones, this entails a bit more work but I prefer the results. the only thing is i also need to make the washers as well now because the nuts on the wood are not good practice.

The new steel nuts are first bored then the top surface is shaped with a file as the steel is spinning, then parted off and tapped in the vice, by tapping the nuts after they are parted off I can use the first tap only and there is very little clogging because the tap distance is short. after the nut is tapped then it is put onto a threaded mandrel and buffed. then while still on the mandrel it is heated through the tempering colours until the purplish  blue is reached then quenched in water and then oiled.

post-202-0-00882200-1411090266_thumb.jpg

I added the leather to the wood blocks and also the retaining screws for holding the wood to the swivel plate.

post-202-0-35294200-1411091929_thumb.jpg

There is a few more hours of making the nuts before moving on to the bow supports.

post-202-0-96835200-1411091927_thumb.jpg

Michael

Nice work Michael.

Is there enough wood thickness to mortise a recess for the nuts to sit down in, rather then using a washer?

or would that sacrifice strength and integrity in the wood?

If "looks" are what you going for, I think the washers would detract from that, but that is just my opinion.

BTW, what type of oil did you coat them with? and how protective/non-scratch resistant is this method of oil/coating?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've never seen bluing done this away before. I've only seen chemical or electrochemical bluing, as is done with guns.

Thanks, for once again opening my mind to new techniques and ideas.

Thanks to one and all for looking in and the kind words and all the likes.

Keith, The washers will be brass so there will still be a contrast colourwise. I could counter bore but then it would be harder to tighten the nuts without a special wrench. the finish is pretty durable for what it is a thin oxide coating at the surface of the metal. the only reason for quenching in oil it so that the steel doesn't rust. the oils is just left over drainings from adding 10 w 30 to the care engine. I always drain the oil into a glass jar for oiling the machines.

Michael

I've also seen where oil quenching is used on sword blade forging and the reason they claimed it was used was it provided less shock to the metal and reduced heat stressed cracking from sudden cooling. In that case it was to prevent metal shock rather then the coating, which is honed off later. I guess I've just not seen it used this way before and find it interesting. BTW, a save my used oil also, waste not, want not.

I was thinking the nut would seat in an equal sized mortise, which would eliminate needing a wrench, or would that twist into the wood too much. I thought it didn't look to be a high torque tighten so marring the wood wouldn't be an issue. The brass washers and blackish square nuts should be a nice contrast though.

Keith the thing with the nuts is that there is one on each side and the bar through the wood is a piece of 3/32 brass rod that is threaded at both ends.

Michael

Ah, that makes a difference then, I wondered as the picture can only be seen from one side, I figured they had heads on the opposite side.

The brass washers, blackened square nuts and threads brass will look good together and without heads there will be symmetry from side to side.

Thanks for fielding all my crazy questions, I use to drive teachers crazy in school also, I'm sure. but you can't learn if you don't ask.

managed a little more work on the cradle this evening. the longitudinal beams 12x10 were cut from some clear fir and they were mortised into the cross beams.

post-202-0-65472000-1411368971_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-44745200-1411368974_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-56741500-1411368972_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-47606800-1411368975_thumb.jpg

The cutter is now supported by the new pads and is quite stable, more so than the former cradle.

Michael

Good morning Tom.

Hopefully these two photos will help, the glue was first diluted just enough to be able to be squeezed out of a large diameter hypodermic needle #25 the needle needed to be filled a few times for each run. I was able to lay the needle in the v groove between the planks and drag the needle toward the stern while squeezing the glue out. It was nerve wracking for sure because I did not want to spill any. the glue shrank when it dried so there were at least three applications of glue. 

post-202-0-45562400-1411398997_thumb.jpg

Once the glue was fully cured I used a cabinet scraper to remove the lumps and blobs.

post-202-0-42831300-1411398999_thumb.jpg

I have to admit that mini me helped in the tight corners ;) 

post-202-0-08131100-1411399558_thumb.jpg

Michael

Michael,

I spent a good part of one day this past weekend catching up with your log here.  Boy oh boy the cutter looks good.  I think the black/red color scheme is spot on and appropriate...it looks quite sharp.  I hadn't considered the ballasting weight required for such a large model (hull/volume), and thus the need for the transport/launch cradle.  Very interesting!  Lastly - but not least - your metal fabrication work is always quite impressive.  One wouldn't know it wasn't full size if they weren't clued in.  Very very nice.

Cheers,

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Arethusa: 1907 Gloucester Knockabout

Your sense of humour matches your modelling skills Michael. When mini me is finished over there, send him my way for a while would you - I've just the job for him!

Edited by gjdale

• 2 months later...