Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

" ... and have set up to work on her over the winter..."

I wish everlasting winter to all of us to have more time for modeling

Nice job

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Excellent Michael - just can't think of any other words!

I could not agree more

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks for all the positive comments and other feedback.

I made a start on the hinges, they are cut from .010" brass sheet. scales out to roughly .078 which is 14 gauge sheet. which seems reasonable enough.

the strip was annealed by heating to red and then quenching in water, I could have let it cool down on its own and would have the same result.

then it was folded over on itself in the milling vice with a length of .032" steel rod to support the rounded portion after the fold was nearly complete I set the folded metal so that as the vice squeezed the brass it pushed the steel rod upwards to form the full round, similar to what we do when we wrap a piece of paper around a dowel and then pinch it to become tight our finger slide a little as the paper closes together.

post-202-0-79127100-1447476586_thumb.jpg

A couple of pieces were cut off using the jewelers saw with a #7 blade the finest I have. The notches were filed out with needle files with some brass .032 rod inside as support.

next I used the jewelers saw to cut off the folded flap close to the rounded portion, in order to lessen the flex of the blade I shortened the throat of the saw to  approx  3 inches.

post-202-0-55034100-1447476587_thumb.jpg

Once all the rest are cut and assembled I will use the drill press to drill and countersink the holes. Just 7 more to go.

post-202-0-08098100-1447476588_thumb.jpg

Gee the close ups are brutal they show every flaw.

The pieces were assembled and then squared up with a 6 inch  #4 flat file 

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Those hinges look perfect from here, Michael.   I like the way you made them.  Fills me with ideas.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Michael - 

Really nice hinges.  I used a similar method to make working hinges for the companionway door of a yacht America model some time ago.  I do not have your skill with a jeweler's saw, so I used a length of soft iron wire inside to form the hinge barrels, and then cut straight through the whole thing with a metal cutting blade in the Preac.  I think they came out pretty well.

post-3092-0-24393300-1447653955_thumb.jpg

post-3092-0-15804700-1447653954_thumb.jpg

Either great minds think alike, or fools rarely differ, whichever one applies.  :-))

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks for all the positive comments and likes it is very encouraging, and appreciated.

The recent file organization has been completed and during the process I was able to fix a few photo issues in some of the early posts, a couple of links have gone AWOL (the nature of the net it seems).

This evening I continued the work on the skylight.

The frame material has been roughed out for all four lights. these are the 3rd and 4th sets

attachicon.gifIMG_7310x800.jpg

This is the second frame glued up.

attachicon.gifIMG_7308x800.jpg

and some in situ shots.

attachicon.gifIMG_7316x800.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7318x1024.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7322x1024.jpg

Once all the frames are assembled I will make a few more hinges the same way as the ones for the cabin doors, I will also add the wooden bars with the horizontal metal bars to protect the glass (lexan).

Michael

Rail and stile panel doors in a model... I am VERY impressed! :)

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

Wow, I had some serious catching up to do. I've been reading through my lunch break, which now has become a Pilot Cutter break! Great progress again, and such astonishing detail, not as usual, for it is unsually good!

Gee the close ups are brutal they show every flaw

... yes they do don't they ... which flaws were you refering to?

Cheers,

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Beautiful work, Micheal - not something I would ever contemplate at 1:72 or even 1:48.   Your right about the brutality of close up photos, but I seen no flaws in yours.

Ed

Michael,  Your build reminds me of an article I saw in Sail or Cruising World or some other sailing magazine from several years ago.  It was about a man who built beautiful Bristol Channel cutters, in the range of plus or minus 30', by himself.  It was both fascinating and educational how he managed to do this.

When I saw your build, it brought me right back there.  I only wish I could remember his name because I believe you two are cut from the same beautiful cloth.

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

I found that article.  The man's name is Bryan Gittins.  Here's the article: http://www.channelcutteryachts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Cruising-World-article.pdf

Julie

Hello Michael!

I echo all the sentiments about the detail and quality of your project! Very impressive. I also couldn't help thinking that you could take some of the photos, especially the ones taken in 'third person' so to speak, combined with a bunch of the black and white close ups, and make a coffee table picture book! The artistry of many of the photos is as compelling as their subject matter. Very, very nice work.

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Thanks everyone it helps a great deal... having some family health concerns right now so things might be a bit spotty for a while.

Julie thanks for the link I smiled when I saw Edmonton on the stern it is 50 miles west of here I go into Edmonton a lot and now it will be more frequent trips to the Hospital. to see Judy.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Our prayers and good wishes go with you.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Take care and be strong. Everything will be ok. All the best

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Julie thanks for the link I smiled when I saw Edmonton on the stern it is 50 miles west of here I go into Edmonton a lot and now it will be more frequent trips to the Hospital. to see Judy.

Michael

Happy to put a smile on your face, Michael. 

My prayers go out to Judy.

Julie

My prayers go out as well for Judy with all the best wishes.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

May she be healthy and strong and back in your loving arms soon.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

My prayers are with you as well, I hope that all goes well 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thank you all.

michael

My best wishes for quick recovery to your Judy Michael!

All the best

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Thanks for all the likes and concerns for Judy, it will take a while but I'm confident all will work out well.

Been a long week, but it is snowing and the roads are bad so since I had to stay home today I did manage to work a little on the hinges, picking up where I left off on Tuesday. Feels like I'm using up way too many electrons to show 32 holes in a few bits of brass. But here goes.

The hinges were clamped and cut to size using the vice as a guide for the saw blade.

post-202-0-72422000-1448347442_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-58272500-1448347443_thumb.jpg

I made a simple clamping jig so that I could drill all the holes with just 2 positions of the table. first I milled a relief slot with a 1/16th end mill in some hard aluminum scrap and clamped this in such a way as to give me the ability to use the small toolmakers clamps on the hinges.

The hinges were then drilled first in the bottom left and rotated so that the top right was next.The drill diameter was .032"

post-202-0-51169100-1448347444_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-41370100-1448347445_thumb.jpg

This shows the clamp to drill the top left which when rotated becomes the bottom right.... Are you confused yet? also the home made precountersink

post-202-0-22739800-1448347446_thumb.jpg

All drilled the drill in the picture was used between my fingers in a twirling motion to set a bit of a countersink for the 1/32 flat head rivets which will represent the screws and hold everything together.

post-202-0-87317100-1448347446_thumb.jpg

Now I just have to sort out the sequence for attaching them.

Michael

I too wish you guys all the best.

As for wasting electrons, fear not! The whole idea of needing a circuit is that the electrons go home when they've done their job and are ready for work next time