Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

I get a lot of that clear cello included in kits.........but I've also hoarded clear cello packaging that some products are packaged in.   it comes in different thicknesses........mostly flat,  but if your looking for a particular shape,  you might find it easily as well.   some of it doesn't cloud when using CA or acetone based adhesives...best to do a test before hand though.   wonderful progress Michael........I hope Judy is home for the Holidays.   glad to hear she is feeling better  :)     Merry Christmas,  my friend....the best for you two this season!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

So good to hear that Judi is on the mend and hopefully home for the holidays. Have a great Christmas!

Several good ideas about the window glass issue, I'm sure you'll find the right one.  The CD cases sound rather promising though.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

Denis, Piet, belated thanks.

while waiting for wood to dry on the Herreshoff, I cut up a CD case and this is the way that I will do all the lights.

post-202-0-37643500-1451883122_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-17765700-1451883124_thumb.jpg

I will need to use a tiny bead of something to seal them in.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Silicone or epoxy, Michael?   I can't see you risking the pane using CA.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark, so the next question is how to produce a micro bead of silicone?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

That's the $64,000 question, Michael.  The same would need to be asked for epoxy.  What about canopy cement like the A/C guys use?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark I am not familiar with it, what sort of glue is it?

Michael

The best I can do is links.  The A/C guys use it to glue their clear plastic canopies to the airplanes.  It won't craze or fog the plastic.

http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-few-words-in-praise-of-canopy-glue.html

http://www.supergluecorp.com/?q=zap/zap-glues/formula-560-canopy-glue

The catch is, I don't know if it's water proof.

This article lists glues and clear varnish might be an option also.

http://www.scalemodelguide.com/construction/materials/learn-glue/

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

mark thanks  the next time i am in town I will stop by the model shop (they have mostly airplanes anyway) to pick some up.

The last twenty years have seen some great changes in glues and paints, I think I need to get out more.... ;)

Michael

Michael, how about this for "canopy" glue !  Some call it "watch crystal" glue. I have found it locally in Michaels or JoAnns stores.  Works nicely . I use it mostly for cementing the knots on my rigging - dries flexible. It's called G-S Hypo Cement.

Edited by Jack12477

Hi

I have used canopy glue in a lot of my RC aircraft models. I never had any canopies that came off as a result of glue failure.

I'm not sure if it is waterproof as I never sailed any of them :D

I also used it to glue any and all clear plastic parts in the 1:24 car models that I built, never had any issues there either

Regards

Deon

Michael, how about this for "canopy" glue !  Some call it "watch crystal" glue. I have found it locally in Michaels or JoAnns stores.  Works nicely . I use it mostly for cementing the knots on my rigging - dries flexible. It's called G-S Hypo Cement.

Jack next time I am in the city i will check out what the Michaels has. there is also a hobby shop close as well.

Deon I will give the canopy glue a look.

Thanks for all the likes

While waiting for the other boat to dry I had one of those moments where I fitted the skylight to the low raised cabin roof. I kept looking at the junction between the two halves of the original cabin, and picked up a chisel and a razor saw.....

The went out to the shop to the big bandsaw...

before

post-202-0-95847500-1451975366_thumb.jpg

after

post-202-0-65465700-1451975369_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-24797900-1451975368_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-62430700-1451975370_thumb.jpg

I will need to rework the hatch area but I like the overall design better, it feel a little more elegant and less boxy.

Michael

nice; but who did those beautiful watercolours on the wall? I love the boat, but they are really great paintings...

Jack next time I am in the city i will check out what the Michaels has. there is also a hobby shop close as well.

Deon I will give the canopy glue a look.

Thanks for all the likes

While waiting for the other boat to dry I had one of those moments where I fitted the skylight to the low raised cabin roof. I kept looking at the junction between the two halves of the original cabin, and picked up a chisel and a razor saw.....

The went out to the shop to the big bandsaw...

before

attachicon.gifIMG_7125x800.jpg

after

attachicon.gifIMG_7611x1024.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7606x1024.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7613x1024.jpg

I will need to rework the hatch area but I like the overall design better, it feel a little more elegant and less boxy.

Michael

Hi Michael

A brave decision to rework the hatch, at this late stage, but I have to agree that it looks better.

All the best!

Patrick

Hi Mark

Regarding the watercolours I did them It is a compilation of a series of sketches dome during a trip to Marble Canyon in the Canadian Rockies here is a link to an art show where I exhibited them and here is a couple of detail pics sorry about the colour it is still dark and the lighting was not great.

post-202-0-29255400-1452006813_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-89142600-1452006814_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-43437800-1452006816_thumb.jpg

I paint and do the odd odd art in my spare time.  I have a watercolour show coming up in April in Edmonton

Now back to the cutter.

Patrick and Druxey thanks, Sometimes I let things sit for what often feels far too long,I suppose because in the back of my mind there is something that is just not quite right about it,( this is especially true when I am following my own design and not making a copy of something already built.) and then all of a sudden it seems I have the answer and it really doesn't matter about the previous effort it was just a step on the journey anyway.

Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Looks great Michael, I like the reworked hatch area, beautiful boat . Nice watercolor pics 

Best Regards,

Pete

Edited by Pete48

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

• 3 months later...

I just finished a project to get an art show open

my poster.pdf

On the way home dropped into the fabric store looking for the right fabric and ended up in the wedding fabrics section and found a cloth that looked good but I'm not 100% on it yet mostly I want to do some experiments on the seams and eyelets or grommets.

First I used some rubber cement to glue the tabling

post-202-0-43193400-1461936094_thumb.jpg

Then trimmed the edge the rubber cement stopped the material from fraying.

post-202-0-28689000-1461936095_thumb.jpg

Then folded the tabling, I will also do one with the added tabling this will keep the cloth weave aligned.

post-202-0-93212600-1461936612_thumb.jpg

The grommets are a little large these being 3/16 diameter which scale out to 1 1/2 inch, I will locate some smaller ones I know that smaller ones are made. I might end up making the ones I need.

post-202-0-08113900-1461936092_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-02550400-1461936093_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-64666000-1461936093_thumb.jpg

These grommets were for a canvas cover on a 7/8ths scale model and worked well so I will have a go at making some with the backing ring, one of the issues with the tiny commercial grommets is that they do not have a backing ring.

neither do the ones I made, however for the sail to function well I want to ensure that the grommets are well seated through the layers of the tabling.

post-202-0-24881200-1461937079_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-25874200-1461937080_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-33776700-1461937081_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-07024500-1461937082_thumb.jpg

By making my own I can also set up any diameter that I need. the eyelets for traditional and cruising sailboats under 45 feet being size 3 or 1/2 inch diameter and for boats over 45 feet being size 4 or 5 5/8 to 3/4 diameter. these diameters are listed in the "Sailmaker's Apprentice" by Emiliano Marino ISBN 0-07-137642-9.

summer's coming and I do want to get the cutter sailing before summer is over.

Michael 

hmmmmmm,  I wonder if I can use those eyelets..........I got a big box of 'em   {big in consideration of the size that they are}.   cloth looks good Michael....has the look of canvas.   I was looking at the current state of the Bristol project........you most definitely have a beauty there!   ;)  really sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Denis, the fabric in the bottom pics is a different one from the top pics I am trying to remember what the small canvas was actually made of i think it was unbleached linen or muslin. The wedding fabric is some sort of Polyester, when I am looking at the various fabrics I do a blow test through it, they must think I'm nuts at the fabric store.

Thanks for the likes.

Michael

Yes, best wishes for the success of your art show, Michael.

I'd be a bit suspicious of using rubber cement on your sails: after a few years it turns brown. Have you thought of using acrylic matt medium for the purpose?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

good morning Druxey,

Have you thought of using acrylic matt medium for the purpose?

No I have not, My thinking was along the lines of the sewing glues that are used to hold seams together before sewing. The stuff I used on the full size sails smelled like copydex basically a latex liquid rubber type glue. I wanted to first see how the eyelets would work. Now I know. next is looking at different ways of accomplishing the tabling and panel seams. the sails will be sewn as well.

Thanks for all the support regarding the show, and for the likes.

Off to help with putting in the docks today.

Michael

Your cutter really looks great. Nice work on the skylight.

Russ

• 2 months later...