Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

That´s it, Michael, perfect.

I am going to use some black thread to make the shrouds I think I will be able to make the length just long enough without lengthening the rope walk.

Michael

These hempen lanyards, shrouds and stays have been protected and greased with a time-honoured, dark-brownish dip of stockholm-tar and boiled linseed oil, a nasty mixture for the hands and clothes of the ship´s boys, who had to do this job from their monkey-swing, lowered all the way down from truck to channels. The dead-eyes themselves got their share of that blackish grease as well. So a black rope for the lanyards and black thread for the shrouds will look alright.
Germanus

Edited by jo conrad

Michael,

I've read your entire log and I'm staring in front of my PC, looking at your work. Wonderful! I'd like to shrink also myself and go aboard with that shipwright I've seen in some picture ... !!!!

Regards

Alex

If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again! (Stan Laurel)

Russ, Sherry, John, Germanus and Alex. Thank you all for your kind comments.

I picked up some Gutterman Black No 50 cotton thread today and followed Longridge's method of using 4 x 3 strand ropes, I only used 3 threads instead of 4 in the three strands of the smaller ropes I should have used 4 threads in each strand. It was a lot of work regardless.

post-202-0-81452300-1364277819.jpg

The four ropes each rope was formed from 9 threads instead of 12, so I ended up making the shrouds a little on the light side.

post-202-0-64049800-1364277812.jpg

post-202-0-40746900-1364277816.jpg

I did some seizing with the same No 50 threads and test fitted the shroud rope around one of the deadeyes, I was a little disappointed because of the mistake with the numbers of thread in the smaller ropes, because this made the shroud 16 threads thinner than it should have been.

post-202-0-15049100-1364277808.jpg

post-202-0-55737100-1364277821.jpg

I need to make a serving jig and a better clamping method than the crocodile clip stand for doing the seizing. I am also thinking that a geared powered ropewalk with be the ticket, So I will have to get cracking on one of those as well. I must admit I got tired of winding by hand.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael:

The rope looks good, On the model the shrouds do look a bit thin. Do you have a source for the size of the rigging on this boat?

Russ

Hello Michael,
your project is just awesome, let me express my admiration to your inspirational work. Thank you for sharing.
Kind regards,
Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Michael,

That's what I meant with the contrast. It looks better (to me).

If you feel it's  to thin, You should change the shrouds. Any saddlers in the neighbourhood? They have some excellent thread from thin to quite thick - in the end I made and repaired most of my tack (but for the saddles) myself. Don't buy the waxed type though.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

that's some really nice work Michael......had a nasty work week  {I work the week ends}.......I had to really backtrack on you log to see it all!

what a great tuitorial on how to make dead eyes....you made it look so easy!   and your dry fit is fabulous....the shrouds look so cool.   you do some wonderful work!   I've never made rope before,  so this should be quite interesting.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Michael,

Went back to see find something and noticed I missed your art show link.  I wish I were there to see it in person.  Love your piano(?).

Have you come up with an easy way to lower the mast for transit, or will you loosen the shrouds every time?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

John, Russ, Doris, Carl, Popeye ,and Bob, thanks for dropping by.

Today I whipped up (pun intended a little serving tool that will also be able to be used as a clamping jig. I will post full details on the tools and jigs section. Here is a shot of the tool in action I used black on white for the photo.

post-202-0-12040000-1364341093_thumb.jpg

The sewing bobbin which can be easily loaded on the sewing machine is a slide fit on the shaft and close enough to the base that a layer or two of card acts as a brake. I used Dafi's method of securing the rope in the tubes with wedges, The tubes are  running in ball races to reduce the friction.

The slides cad be easily slide off the aluminum bar. and locked with the little thumb screws

Michael.

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Carl, It is funny I got so focused that I realized by 3:30 in the afternoon that I had not eaten anything all day. Plus I had all the supplies.

Good morning Druxey, I made 3 slides anticipating other clamping ideas At the moment it really need not be stored there. and it just taking up room. Had I been thinking it through I would have made 4 or the two that are in use a little wider at the top.  It is a work in progress. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Michael

Michael:

That is very ingenious. I look forward to seeing your results.

Russ

I found a little time this evening to have a go at another shroud. I did not take any pictures this evening I will take some tomorrow. I reset the whirl end of the ropewalk after making the 4 ropes of 3 strand I increased the number of threads in the 3 strand rope to 6 per strand from 3 in the first shroud.

I drew a square layout on the circular disc and drill a new set of holes. The rope strands were even now. and the shroud formed up really nicely on the ropewalk. the new shroud is .093 Diameter the first one was .062.

In scale the .093 works out to .7 inches which is just under 3/4 inch in scale. it is actually closer to 23/32 in scale numbers. It looks much better on the deadeye.  Now I can use the .062 as the lanyard.

Also tomorrow I can see how it looks on the serving machine.

Michael

Set the new shroud up in the serving machine and did the serving.

post-202-0-40484800-1364578225_thumb.jpg

Next time I will switch the rotators end for end so that the turning is done from the right hand short end of the shroud this will make the long loose end continually in wind up direction instead of an unwind direction. I also noticed that when the bobbin came off the brass sleeve and was loose on the 3/16 shaft the bobbin sat on the base and created just enough friction that it wound up nicely and traveled along by being pulled by the wind.

I will see if this will work for the full length on the next one. The other advantage of switching the feed end is that I can feed some of the served end through the right hand rotator to serve a longer length if needed .

post-202-0-07115800-1364578227_thumb.jpg

laying the loose end inside the clear plastic tube that some of the metal tube comes packaged in worked a treat.

post-202-0-47909500-1364578228_thumb.jpg

The clamping method finally became clear as began working on the setting of the deadeye, simple pegs in the top. I looked at a couple of different weights of seizing thread and also different colours I like the contrast with the lighter colour and I like the heavier Koban  next to the deadeye ,so next trip into town I will pick up some tan coloured Koban

post-202-0-31221600-1364578230_thumb.jpg

A quick look at the new shroud in situ, I used some of the first shroud as a lanyard, It is not as flexible as a 3 strand rope so I will make some black rope for the lanyards.

post-202-0-86216800-1364578231_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-51288000-1364578223_thumb.jpg

Michael

Michael,

Your new lanyard looks more sturdy, it suits your boat. I have to say that I like the contrast in the colours on the right side better. What do you feel yourself ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Michael,

Nice serving device. Along with that micro adjusting table saw fence you showed in another forum, you are the maestro jig maker! I have an idea for an adjustable stop for cutting small strips on the Byrnes table saw I might try out on you and see if you have ideas....

Great work. Looks fantastic.

Mark

Well it has been a Good Friday.

Sherry, thanks for your comment on the new shroud test.

Russ, Thanks, I will need to make enough lanyard now for all four sets of deadeyes, it will be simple 3 stand rope which will be much mor flexible than the 4 rope that I used for the new test.

Carl, The jury is still out on the light verses dark rope for the lanyards, I have seen it both ways on the photos of the cutters and smacks.

John, thanks for the info regarding the seizings.

Mark thanks for your thoughts. I really do like making the small tools and devices. I am interested in your ideas about the adjustable stop.

The snow is finally melting here still a fair bit to go yet before the lake thaws out there were still ice fishermen out there this afternoon.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Did you post the details of the serving machine elsewhere? I am very curious to see the details.

I'll try to do a drawing of the jig I have in mind for the Byrnes saw, in the next day or so. Your inventions have got me thinking.....;-)

Mark

Hello Mark, I did add a little more about it in tools

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1410-another-serving-machine-and-universal-clamp-for-seizing/

Not a lot more than her but a little more. I could do an as built drawing and post it if you think it would be of benefit.

Your inventions have got me thinking.....;-)

It is one of the things that i enjoy so much about this forum , all the wonderful sharing of Ideas that happens almost daily.

I was in town today and picked up a few more different threads to try.  The Black Gutermann upholstery thread look very promising, it is polyester so a little less fuzzy.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Here is the saw stop I was thinking about making, inspired by your inventions. It indexes cuts on the side opposite the fence, with a micro-adjuster. I'll bet there is a more elegant way of doing this. Any thoughts?

Mark

post-477-0-47585300-1364760271_thumb.jpg

Mark I have done a drawing that I will post over in tolls and equipment. I think you have a neat idea.

Michael