Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

All the best during your surgery, Michael. Get well soon!

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

18 hours ago, michael mott said:

Para todos los que están siguiendo esta construcción. No puedo hacer ningún trabajo de modelo por un tiempo, ya que estoy esperando que me realicen una cirugía del túnel carpiano en mi mano derecha. Ha ido empeorando constantemente durante los últimos 6 meses más o menos, y finalmente me di cuenta de que necesitaba que lo revisaran. El informe de neuropatía utilizó palabras como grave e inmediato. Mi médico de cabecera ha enviado cartas a tres cirujanos con la esperanza de que podamos atenderlo más rápidamente.

Llevo una muñequera rígida que me ayuda a evitar colarse en el taller de modelos para trabajar, lo que es perjudicial para mi futuro bienestar en mi mano derecha.

Me sometí a una cirugía del túnel Carpel en ambas manos hace unos años.

Y Rob no me he olvidado de tu pieza del Rayo.

saludos Michael

Hopefully everything goes very well. It does a great job.

-HMS Tritón 1/48 1773 en scracht (TERMINADO)

-HMS Winchelsea 1/35  1764 full scracht (EN PROYECTO)

notpirate.png

• 1 year later...

Michael, though late to the party I have just enjoyed catching up on your story. I'm in awe of your skills. I keep the machinery of our farm running but can only dream of your attention to detail. We live on the North Cornwall coast with views across the "ancestral" home of the pilot cutters.

Spy, I crewed on the OYC Equinoxe, three times during my teens (1966/67). So sad to hear she is no more, but I question that she was built in 1933 - it was accepted at the time that she was of 1906. Your photos bring back happy memories of a vessel that was so ideally suited to young crews. Enough hard physical work that led to exciting deep  water sailing.

Hi Michael

Sorry but I missed the post about your hand problem. I hope you got the surgery and are now on the mend?

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Ditto Michael; hope to see you back at it again

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Michael - 

I also missed your post about your hand injury, my friend.

Glad to see you back, and hope that your recovery was complete and satisfactory.

Be well

Dan 

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Hello to you all who have expressed concern for my health.

First of all my surgery went well and my hand is back to normal working with the tools I love most the jewelers saw and my Myford lathe, opposite ends of the model-making spectrum. Judy and I have been keeping a low profile during the last couple of years for all the obvious reasons. 

My model boat building has taken a back seat at the moment, even though the cutter is not 3 feet away from my bench and the stern is only 9 inches from the end of the lathe bed.

As many of you know I am also an avid builder of model railway subjects, currently in the front seat. ( I am working on a four wheel coach of the Great Western Railway built in 1876  in 1/32nd scale and it has presented a great deal of challenges. I am not likely to build any more of them. this one with full working clasp brakes, is enough for me.)

Here are a few of pictures of it. the body is .030" styrene sheet with a printable card-stock overlay cemented with MEK to the styrene.

IMG_4730x1024.jpg.06f3037ba5a25b04d4290eefaaa96594.jpg

The wheels are a composite of steel Castello (16 wedges) and brass all the bolts and pins are turned from brass stock, the axle-boxes and hangers for the springs are currently being redone to better reflect reality, with proper cups and rubber bushings.

IMG_5004x1024.jpg.2f5750670e6497d9f83fccaeaeaac59d.jpg

IMG_5034x1024.jpg.9343396b095837e2aa29b25431c90ffb.jpg

And the adjustable jig for bending the loops on the ends of the top leaf of the springs.

IMG_5031x1024.jpg.69b1f92417435a978f563c9da0b0448f.jpg

I think I better not push my luck posting pictures of model railway stuff on this Bristol Cutter build log.

I am sure that my  boat building MOJO will be back sooner rather than later and I will get on with the galley and map chart area. perhaps a sextant lying on the table with some compasses and a parallel rule and pencil.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Glad to hear that you are in full swing again !!!

Such pre-1880s subjects are rarely seen in railway modelling and there is almost nothing commercial available from that period, I think, regardles of scale/gauge. I am not an active railway modeller, but always thought that something from the 1860 to 1880 period would be nice to create ...

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thank you Keith, Eberhard, and Druxey.

Keith thanks for your kind words.

Eberhard, yes the information is not exactly great, a mix of photographs of some existing coaches and tiny drawings in a pictorial about the GWR coaches.

I Like your Hint Druxey.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Michael, there's an area in Shore Leave that's perfect for the rail coach build:   https://modelshipworld.com/forum/73-non-shipcategorised-builds/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful workmanship as always Michael, nice to know you're still at it!

Michael...your work is second to none....both in boat building and R/R rolling stock fabrication.   I'm never left unimpressed.

Glad to see you at it....and in great form....too.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Beautiful little coach Michael, glad to see you are in fine form.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 8 months later...

Hello everyone I’m just getting my mojo back in the ship modeling world. I had a heart attack in November 2022 and am now recovered from that. I had a wonderful conversation with David Anscherl earlier this week and he challenged me to do something on the cutter within the next 2 weeks. Yesterday I dug in and am happy to say that I am enjoying the work I am going to continue with the galley area which also includes the chart table on the starboard side IMG_1389.thumb.jpeg.34d4e05c9b00a6ad60f3e262b3c5dbe5.jpeg

IMG_1392.thumb.jpeg.ab14f2e6acf13681098d9c83edda0ca9.jpeg

IMG_1391.thumb.jpeg.4704a3c715dc71d447a2445de35c2ad0.jpeg

The first task was trying to remember just what I was doing, then deciding what was the next step. The galley counter needed to be drilled for the tap and then the sink needed some serious work to clean up the sloppy silver soldering. So a few custom sanding sticks are being used to tidy up the sink. 
Time for some lunch 

Michael

5 minutes ago, michael mott said:

I had a heart attack in November 2022 and am now recovered from that.

I'm glad you're still with us!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Happy to hear you’re okay after such an eventful winter, and even happier to see you’re back at the bench! Looking forward to seeing more of your brilliant handiwork!

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Michael, so glad to hear you've recovered. We're here in tune with whatever pace you set, nice to see you back in the workshop. 

Glad to hear that you dodged the bullet.  So many people do not get a second chance.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Sorry to hear about the heart attack Michael, but very glad you are now recovered. Even more pleased to see you back at work on your magnificent model.

Michael, I echo the sentiments expressed by others above! Welcome back! Glad you've recovered.

There are some photos at Olde Rhinebeck you might be interested in. 

Edited by Jack12477

31 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Michael, I echo the sentiments expressed by others above! Welcome back! Glad you've recovered.

There are some photos at Olde Rhinebeck you might be interested in. 

Thanks for the link Jack, I made a comment over there.

Michael