starter lathe --

Grizzly had many interesting toys, ehh TOOLS ;)

BUT I guess they are all 110 V... Here we use 220-240V... :(

Cheers!

Finishing Titanic 1/350 scale from Minicraft, Plastic. Partly scratch. Loads of PhotoEtch.

Upcoming builds: Syren from MS 1:64, Pegasus from Victory Models 1:64, Surprise from AL 1:48

Grizzly had many interesting toys, ehh TOOLS ;)

BUT I guess they are all 110 V... Here we use 220-240V... :(

Cheers!

AC -converter/adapter is all you need, has worked for me before moving to the US :)

What I understand, Sherline is the machines!      If I only had the money... :(

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian

I use a scheppach DMT450  benchtop lathe. It costs about £280

It has a 1/2" through hole on the headstock which is important if turning long yads etc.

And a between centres of 445mm.

I added a 3 jaw chuck which helps a lot and I built a 3 roller fixed steady from MDF for it.

I have found it very good for spars and masts. I have turned all of my Victory ones even down to 2mm dia.

Of course at that diameter it is sandpaper rather than a chisel.

The steady is required if you go to that sort of dia.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCHEPPACH-DMT450-445mm-Woodturning-Lathe/dp/B00FBD2MMU/ref=sr_1_6?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1407761322&sr=1-6&keywords=scheppach+lathe

Nick

What about this multi purpose machine?

The Unimat 83000  it seems to drill, lathe, mill and sand-- I am sure it could make the coffee to?

Just google Unimat 83000

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Thanks for posting this, I love old machines.

That is a neat machine for 1852 and set up to use common power source. It looks like it has power feed and cross feed, Did not see change gears but lots of steps in the visible pulley's. wonder if threads could have been cut in a repeatable manor. Even dividing provisions. Be nice to have the resources to preserve that thing and make it available to others. Takes  high skill to take a rough casting, do some rough machining then hand truing and fitting everything. Each part being a unique piece, probably obtain castings for parts but need a good machinist to hand fit any replacements. Not just everyone would be allowed to run it. That machine and a metal Shaper could make almost anything to close tolerances.

jud

Edited by jud

Hi Ian B

On the Unimat question, they have nothing in commonm with the original unimats which were great little machines.  Personally they are OK but only OK once you get around all the time spent of changing from one function to another.

But it comes down to the question of what are you going to use it for and at what size.  As an example I have just sold my very large modern lathe/Mill with DRO's etc as I move away from model engineering and into ships again.  I will be using my 50 year old faircut junior http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php? which is more than sufficient and big enough.  more importantly its solid which means less vibration etc when cutting.

just my personal thoughts 

Ian

Still Sane? who knows, who cares

Current Build Panart deck section

But it comes down to the question of what are you going to use it for and at what size.  As an example I have just sold my very large modern lathe/Mill with DRO's etc as I move away from model engineering and into ships again.  I will be using my 50 year old faircut junior http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php? which is more than sufficient and big enough.  more importantly its solid which means less vibration etc when cutting.

just my personal thoughts 

What a beautiful machine.  Good luck on the rebuild.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray