San Francisco 2 by lamarvalley - FINISHED - Artesania Latina

You have to cut your gun carriages down. On the old site this issue came up in several builds. I wish I had the motivation to do the two wheeled carriages but rolled with what I had.

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

If I had wheels I would, but honestly...I just am not in the mood to make any at this time...I have my eyes on the next build and want to get to it lol.

Edited by Shaz

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

You have the older version of the Fran 2. I think fate has made you the guy to show us how to build the authentic gun carriages.

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

yep, in the newer version they replaced the metal ones with laser cut wood pieces that you have to put together.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

I think lamar's is the newest kit. Correct me if I'm wrong lamar but this is the kit I ordered in dec 2012 and was on back order until late january, maybe feb. Its the newest version and looks like the cheap got even cheaper, but the wood is beautiful. I think we all know going in, that things will change along the way, especially if its an AL kit.

Oh and on the molded piece'o'crappola carriages, I think I threw up in my mouth looking at them. BASH! those are SO bad looking.... now how to build a spoked wheel.... Hum, ... I know you can do it, look at that planking and look how much further your SF is then my Swift and they started around the same time. I hate to do this ... but .... I double dog dare you to make spoked wheels. :dancetl6:

I triple dog dare you, sorry couldn't help myself. Next we will be telling you, you'll shoot your eye out

Edited by sport29652

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

MS Rattlesnake

Seeing how your kits turned out sometimes I wished I'd of waited. but I bought the peterboro on a whim while MSW was down and am kinda glad I started slower or at least smaller.

Strangely I have 5 other kits staring at me from the wall and I'm not even tempted. (OK that Pinnace has a VERY piercing stare) but I'm having fun at the moment. Sadly most of my time is spent thinking. I know I spent an hour looking at those walnut deck stringers last night and I hate them. Its a 1.5mm by 3mm piece I cant create, even though I bought the cherry. At the moment I'm thinking of using basswood and veneering it with either the Ramin or cherry. I also need to get the Bowsprit's Knightshead together so I can find the hole placement through the stem bulwarks.

And seeing how your to blame for putting the SF back on my acquistion list, I need you to figure out the spoked wheel problem as one day when I build the Florencia I'll have to have 2 wheeled carrriages. Funny thing is that with 7 kits, 2 going and 5 waiting - Not one has a gun.

The carriages turned out well. That's a good way to make sure they all match.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I hope your not painting them. That end grain on the carriage sides looks really cool. Wonder how it'll tung oil. The Carriages look great and there's no way back now buster. You've crossed the line.... now I just can't wait to see how you solve this build hurdle. I know it'll be worth the wait. :dancetl6:

Things like this it why I love building. Figuring out hard stuff makes me feel like what the builders of the real ship must have felt like. I love the processes that had to be developed over time to adapt field artillery to ships. Makes me always think of pre-cannon warfare and Greek Fire, which was more a byzantine thing then greek IIRC. Funny I saw somewhere that it was a napalm like substance but no one knows the actual recipe. The trireme's brass punch was another interesting idea, that was greek IIRC.

Very nice, I like yours much better than mine...but I just couldn't make myself wait for wood to arrive to make my own.  Patience is NOT my strong suit :P

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Love what your doing with the guns. I've been racking my brain on how to make those spoke wheels for ya. Noting yet can't wait to see your solution

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

MS Rattlesnake

Good job. How did you make those ?

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

MS Rattlesnake

I knew you had it in you,

WOW beautiful work. And I love the colors with the red wheels, but not painted.

So where the tutorial? How about a picture of one next to a penny, That'll really show the size of the detail.

They Look great. Now I just need instructions for production.

I like the sheen on the cannons also, I'm assuming you used the same mix as the rudder hinges?

Excellent work Randy!!! Give yourself a big pat on the back!!!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Wow, talk about inventiveness. My mind would have never considered packing everything "inside" the dowel, but dang if it doesn't create a great end product. It amazes me to know end how each person thinks differently, and we all come up with so many different fixes for the same problems. I love that about this site!

You should post that on one of those pages on MSW for how toos and such. That is an awesome fix

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

After seeing the Herny Ford inspired carriages I wondered if it was a sliced job. OUTSTANDING results. and ingenious method. WOW the dime really shows how small they are.

How badly did they splinter on cutting? What type of saw did you use. I can imagine is was quite a job. Sadly most will never even see that detail when she's all done. But for those of us that know, its the details that make it all count and worth it.

I give you a A++, and a 3 day weekend.

very nice job indeed and an ingenious way to do it :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Hey Randy,

It's probably one of those 50something teeth/inch blades, Thats what I use. I've found using a ... well ... this is gonna sound weird .. but ...its a Badger Sleep Balm, with lavender and bergamount. Your supposed to rub it on the back of your neck to relax muscles. I use it because its and olive oil and beeswax blend and smells nice. Anyway I just touch it with my finger tip and lube the bladewith a quick swipe, I started using this with my jewelers saw and found it help. The really cool part is the zero clearance 50something teeth blades burnish the cherry I've been working on as I cut.

I don't know if you used any type of lube but this is something I like using. Really any Beeswax/Olive Oil chapstick or natural type stuff would work It'd think.

BTW, I was slicing some 3/4'' dowel (birch I think). I've been thinking of how to make a ships wheel. Ive also made a 3" x 4" piece of striped decking and am planning to experiment with cutting planks, nailing (20g Brass wire) and finishes.  figure I have space for 4 test patches. I'm thinking tung oil and maybe shellac (french polish) and then maybe tung oiled with shellac and maybe tung and laquer. 

Randy, I did mine according to the top pic. The hook that faces toward the water on the cat davit will hold the anchor line. the drilled holes in the cat davit on that end take the thread that holds the anchor in place against the hull. I have no idea what the hook is for on the other end yet lol.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Okay folks... I'm in need of direction... :unsure:

In the instruction manual (used loosely here -_-, I have come to the cat davit section of our show and I am a bit confused about the hooks that are used. 2 pics here, in order of their appearance and they conflict with each other and so .. I don't know how to proceed. The first shows a hook in both sides and the second picture doesn't make any sense as both hooks are downward?? Maybe it would help to know what this 'cat davit' does. I assume it has to do with the anchor but how are those hooks used?

:unsure: :unsure:

Thanks

Randy

Hi, Randy! I too long looked for the solution of this riddle, and then made stupidly according to the drawing. The bottom ring is used for anchor deduction.

post-215-0-06955800-1367008552.jpg

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

Thank you Garward, that picture helps.

AL's San Francisco directions are poor but sometimes when they are this incomplete they make the builder think harder... and that's good yes?

It, of course, badly, but on the other hand it forces to think and look for the solution of problems and riddles of kits. And it promotes professional development of modellers  :) . Paradox :o  :D !

Edited by Garward

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

I picked up a tip on the old MSW that you use watered down 50/50 Elmer's glue and completely coat the grating. I used a stupid amount on mine and when they dried you can't see any trace if the glue. I didn't have any problems cutting mine with a sharp blade. I think the glue helps reinforce the wood?

Edited by sport29652

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

MS Rattlesnake

yup glue does reinforce the wood. that was actualy a good tip by "drumroll" Artesania  Latina in the instructiosn for my stagecoach

paint some glue on the back of thin veneerstrips to make it less like they split when cutting complex forms in it

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80