Here is something I have been toying with. LED lit cannons. Controlled by an led flasher unit (from an online auction site) with sixteen led's and eleven programs. Each led has four or five fibre optic cables held in place with heat shrink. The cannon has been drilled through with a two mm drill this also removes the fixing pin on the back of the cannon but will be held in place with the fibre optic. Smaller F/O could also be used. With a  bit of playing around with the placement of the cannon end of the F/O broadside firing patterns can be achieved.

Is it too cheesy. Please let me know what you think.

Bootes

post-13655-0-85637300-1405587986_thumb.jpg

post-13655-0-33638200-1405588045_thumb.jpg

post-13655-0-40616600-1405589686_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bootes

Bootes

Colour is just a pigment of your imagination !

Current build:

HMS Victory - Constructo 1:94 

Hi Brian, thanks for the feed back.

Yep, I have also thought about flickering LED's (1.8-2mm) for the cabins, any lanterns that might show by stairs, ship's wheel and binnacle and of course the stern lanterns. 

Now what about sound !!!

Hmmmm

Bootes

Current build:

Bootes I am looking for a source of flickering LED's for the cabin of my current build. If you know of one, please let me know.

BTW, re: the sound. Little computer speakers hidden somewhere in the model won't cut it. What you need is a massive subwoofer under the table and a smoke generator. That will really surprise people who are expecting a tinny sounding "boom" to come from your model :)

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Cabin and gun-deck lights good. Unless you make smoke and have a report with your cannon lighting, to me it would say, has good understanding about fiber optics, can produce some very fine work on models but hasn't a clue about gunfire. Being an Old Gunners Mate my opinion may be a tad bit bias.

jud

There are several ways to have flickering LED's.

Flickering LED's or standard LED's controlled by a flicker unit.

I've had a look around for very small 1.3mm flickering LED's but can only find them in 3mm on a well know auction site (not sure if I'm allowed to use the name).

I have found two very small flicker controls on the same site, one for a single LED and the other controls four but I should think a couple of extra LED's could be added to each unit.

LED range in size from about 1.3mm upwards and most come with a resistor.

I have never posted a link before so I hope these work.

Murton Scale Miniatures, controll unit: Link

Murton Scale Miniatures, 5mm LED: Link

Very small LED: Link

There are plenty of LED lighting solutions on that site.

I have also been playing around with cannon fire sound effects on the computer,and there are a few sound samples on the net which could be loaded into a small cheap mp3 player. Cornwall Model Boats sell an SD card 'Galleon With Cannon sound card' for £9.98: Link

I think the smoke might be beyond me.

Bootes

Bootes

Current build:

Hi.

The smoke can be made by using model steam loco smoke oil.

A heater unit( nitchchrome wire ).

A shot air supply ( relay with diafram )

A Arduino nano providing the timings.

Process is :-

Relay pulls back.

heat oil for 5 seconds.

release relay.

Wait for next shot..

Have done this on a 1/12 scale cannon with a impressive puff of smoke forming a ring as it leaves the barrel.

As for the Flickering LED's I did a how to some time ago. http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2806-flickering-lights/?hl=%2Bflickering+%2Bled

If you need a small drawing on the smoke.. I can do this if wanted later tonight.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Yes Antony, I saw your thread about flickering LED's with an Arduino board. To be honest I am a little intimidated by that solution, but I did look into it closely. I am currently wiring up my latest project for LED lighting (see my signature), but I decided not to bother with the flickering effect. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

i would love to do something like this - but - i have found the actual build difficult enough without all this extra electronics, but i love to see and admire actual finished builds with this incorporated

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Bootes I am looking for a source of flickering LED's for the cabin of my current build. If you know of one, please let me know.

BTW, re: the sound. Little computer speakers hidden somewhere in the model won't cut it. What you need is a massive subwoofer under the table and a smoke generator. That will really surprise people who are expecting a tinny sounding "boom" to come from your model :)

Keith,

just a thought shouldn't the sound also be to scale. I've knocked up some sounds on the computer.One for the really big and another for the light, the heavies have a really reverberating sound that rumbles on after each shot, still needs a bit of tweaking to get it just right. Unfortunately I can't post the sample for feed back.

Bootes

:pirate41:  :bird-vi:

Bootes

Current build:

By the time I'm finished I'l have that much cabling coming out of the ship. I didn't know they had towed arrays in the 1700's.

Bootes

Current build:

Bootes you are probably right that the sounds should be to scale. But the thought of causing involuntary bowel actions when I am showing off my boat tickles me pink. As you may have figured by now, I am not a very nice person :)

Regards, Keith

When we were trying to record the sounds of a 40 MM Bofers firing, Mt 46 aboard the Harnett County LST 821 in RVN, we did not get much, the concussion at the mount would make a splat sound as the shock wave tried to destroy the mike.  With the recorder at Mt 46, a good recording of Mt 41 firing could be obtained, of course that would be a little over 200 feet away. Kind of disappointing not being able to record the gun sounds such as feed pawls, empties going down the casing guides and other sounds that a Mount Captain should be listening to.

jud

By the way, if you look for Antal Dorati's recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture, you will find a recording of a real cannon from 1775. Amazon link here: http://www.amazon.com/1812-Overture-Capriccio-Italien-Wellingtons/dp/B000PMFTE0

The cannon appears first as part of the music, then in the next track it appears by itself.

Regards, Keith