Scotland by sygreen - Corel - Scale 1:64 - First wooden build

Looks good, have you built the rudder yet? Let me know how the rails go, they should fit right over the sides.

Also, you might want to drill the holes for the rails before glueing them on, it's easier. I found out by breaking them off and drilling. Much easier.

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

As I get ready to paint the hull, do I use primer first and then the color. Or, is the color itself enough to cover it.

How many coats does it usually take?

I have seen modelers on this site water down the paint and apply many more coats. What is the advantage of that??

I on,y use primer on plastic so the paint sticks better. No need for it on wood in my opinion. I use one coat of satin polyurethane on all my ships (4 beginner kits so far) Gives them a protective coat and doesn't look too shiny. Don't know about varnish, it think it's more of a general term for a lacquer. I would check out the forums here or maybe start one with specific questions. Some of the guys on here should be able to get you a better answer. I am still learning these things as I go.

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Thanks Casey for your comments. I doubt I could do this without your ideas

I have shaped the rail and will drill it as you suggest prior to gluing it on.

I have looked at the rudder metal fasteners and they seem too long esp the top one. What did you do?

Also, the metal fasteners have extra pieces of metal. They are flimsy , so how do you remove excess metal?

I think I will start a thread on  varnish and polyurethane

I clipped the rudder hinges down to size. No biggie about the look,if you paint over. I used a needle nose pliers to clip and shape the hinges. They a flexible so you can adjust them to go flush with the hull. Super glue will work, I clamped them to the hull after putting on the glue. Pretty easy and looks good.

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to figure out the correct drill size for the holes needed on the rail. Any ideas?

Also, the yellow given by model expo for the hull is no where close to the picture on the box. Not bright enough. Any ideas on what the correct yellow is called?

the drill size you want is 1.5mm

i just found a yellow i liked and went with it, it was Sunflower Yellow.  i bought it at Michaels in the cheap paint section acrylics  

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Looking good !

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

I am starting to paint the transom . Probably an idiot question but do I seal the paint on the metal piece with polyurethane? Although I will be using flat or satin finish for the entire hull, will it look nice if I added glossy just to the metallic gold pieces??

I have multiple areas of excess CA glue stains on the walnut hull and the wales. Do I care about sanding them out completely or will the painting hide them anyway?

Also , what is the best way to clean the wales as they will be only stained?

I sealed the metal with poly. As for the wales I taped them off during everything so they didn't get too messed up. I'll post more pics this week

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

I painted my transom in gold paint and I like it. Give the hull a good sand and the CA shouldn't show through the paint. Good idea to tape off the wales though.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

• 4 weeks later...

Hey sygreen, did you use drop planks and the like when planking the hull (as shown here: http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Framing_and_Planking/plankingprojectbeginners.pdf) 

or did you just lay the planks regularly? I am worried that if I continue planking the downward the planks are going to get too curved, like a really happy smiley face. How did you do this part? Any advice? 

Planking was very difficult for me. Are you on the first layer?

Dropped some planks but also gradually narrowed to the planks by approx half, starting where the planks began to overlap at both the bow and stern. Ended up by using lots of filler (probably too much) on the first planking. Second planking was a bit easier. Used the same technique but because it was thinner, it was easier to curve.

I'll post it on your site as well. Show me pictures