USS Maine by dgbot - HMV - 1/250 - CARD

I'm thinking it's great that you're still with us and even greater that you're thinking about your model.   This all great news!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Keep on, just as you always do !!!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I am waiting for my sister to drop by Staples.  To get me some ink.  Now to have some patience.

David B

Hi David,

Sorry to hear about your health and model issues.  Hope you are both up and running again soon.

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

• 5 months later...

I am finally back home and in my shipyard.  A larger work area along with the rest of my tools.  I put my model on my work table and started to look it over to see what damage was done to it.  

So far what I found can be redone but will take some time.  Here are the major problem areas and the one that gave me the most trouble to begin with.

The area marked is and area that has to be redone do to damage.

post-227-0-11527500-1429052296_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-43759600-1429052344_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-29494000-1429052365_thumb.jpg

I already printed out a new sheet and am cutting out the parts. 

David B

I'll bet it's great to be home, David.   That damage is probably minor compared to what could have happened...  I've done a few moves and know well the trauma.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fortunately I scanned the plans I can print them out to get what I need. One of the plan ahhwts was damaged so that has to be reproduced as well. The part I am working on gave me fits the last time and is doing so this time as well. I am going to take a break and finish it after a good night sleep. That is if I can.

David B

Glad to see you are back at it, David.  One small bit of advice - the part you circled in the second photo, the roof of the conning tower, should be a conic section.  This is made by pulling the two sides of the removed slice together.

Kind regards,

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thanks for the info but I think I will leave it as once I add the rest of the assembly the only way it will be seen is with a dental mirror.  I will put that down on the plans for the next time.

David B

• 5 months later...

I move back to my digs in Chicago and after a couple of months wound up back in the hospital.  I am now back at my sisters where She can keep an eye on my health.  The doctors are happy and She is too.  I finally found my plans for the Maine am now getting started on the repairs.  This is where I am starting over.

post-227-0-10979600-1444076826_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-38356200-1444076849_thumb.jpg

David B

Hi David... so sorry to hear about your health issues,I sure hope you are feeling better and  can back to doing what you like to do.

Your card model is really nice , It's a amazing what you can do with paper.I have'nt seen any card models so your build will be very interesting to see it progress. Take care David,will keep you in my prayers .

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 2 weeks later...

My first attempt came out on the sloppy side plus I was able to get some photo paper to use. I also had to get a new printer wireless this time and I was on the phone with tech support to get it running properly. But I am happy with the quality of the printing and not having to sit,next to it with a cable. The only drawback is it uses a tricolor ink cartridge and they are not cheap. I took this photo with my smartphone as my camera needs batteries.

David B.post-227-0-04669900-1444813379_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-10077400-1444813569_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgbot

Keep on and stay strong Dave!!!

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hey Dave, I just finished reading your log. These card models are really something I have never followed a build before. Seems to me like you are doing a fantastic job. Keep it up and keep well.

Don

I finally started on the repair adding to what I had learned.  The first was the walkway and saffolding in the aft section.  The first attempt at the walkway came out badly because I was not using a new blade as a result the part was unacceptable,

post-227-0-36098300-1444884711_thumb.jpg

I redid the part by cutting and folding a little glue I put the part under some weight so the piece would dry flat.

post-227-0-52736400-1444884537_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-15307400-1444884581_thumb.jpg

The scaffold was cut out and prepared.

post-227-0-50190200-1444884346_thumb.jpg

This time I put a straight edge on the part and cut out the inner area first in order to keep the integrity of the part.

post-227-0-52945300-1444884794_thumb.jpg

I also made some cuts on the backside to make to make it easier to keep from tearing the part.and this was the time when I stropped the blade on a strop with buffing compound.  Because the cutting mat dulled the point.

post-227-0-97227000-1444884839_thumb.jpg

Once I get the point sharpened I will finish with the cutout.

David B

post-227-0-93010200-1444884479_thumb.jpg

It seems to be harder than working in wood. Errors can not be masked by putty and paint

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

If you have a kit downloaded from a website, you can re-print a part, since you own the file. Working with a kit published as a booklet (typical of the many fine European card modeling sites), you have to be quite careful or else be paranoid and copy all the pages before hacking up the original.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I am finally getting back to the Maine and it is not as easy as it sounds getting into the groove is what helps.  The first thing was print out some more sheets to cut out the blanks. I first started on the scaffolding and walkway.

post-227-0-50166500-1445145313_thumb.jpg

Then fold and glue the parts as before. I started on the walkway first but it came out bad because the tip of my scalpel.  And the end result it came out pretty sloppy. And I had to redo it.

post-227-0-24064200-1445147460_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-42207300-1445148734_thumb.jpg

did another blank and put a weight on it so the part did not warp and went to the scaffolding.

post-227-0-19284200-1445147117_thumb.jpg

After cutting the blank and folding and gluing I started cutting and using a straight edge to keep from damaging it.

post-227-0-24064200-1445147460_thumb.jpg

I noticed that the tip of my blade was starting to dull so I grabbed my strop with compound and brought back the tip.  The compound is from Flex Cut and is an Aluminum and Titanium Oxide. Works great for putting the edge on and polishing at the same time.

post-227-0-00228100-1445148148_thumb.jpg

By cutting the inside cures first with light stokes yields a fine cut.  That is the reason for a sharp tip.

post-227-0-36616500-1445148276_thumb.jpg

The next part was the walkway and I had a rude surprise the glue diluted with the ink and have to redo the part accidents happen but you learn from every redo that you have if you can afford it.

post-227-0-88845500-1445148456_thumb.jpg

Well tomorrow is another day of having fun.

David B

Edited by dgbot

David, did you seal the paper/card? I got some Krylon Matt Finish #1311 at Lowe's or Ace Hardware. Quick drying flat sealer. Haven't had any ink runs from the white glue I use.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild