mary rose partwork by hachette - moved by moderator

geoff

just "discovered" that Hachette are doing the Mary Rose part work , has anyone started this & what is it like? I ask because I gave up the Black Pearl due to certain difficulties with supplies etc.!

Hi Geoff

I was led to believe this was only being trialed at the moment,i.e.offered in specific parts of the country to gauge reaction.Unless something has changed,this probably wouldn't run the full quantity of issues,a bit naughty I know.The model does address the forecastle issue present on the caldercraft kit,the cc kit was developed to information present at the time,before the additional forecastle deck was discovered in the Solent fairly recently.The images I have seen though,are of a fairly simplistic model,especially concerning masting and rigging.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I think I'd agree with the other comments, the Caldercraft kit is the one to go for. Even though it was produced a little while ago now, it is certainly a lot cheaper, when you work it out (currently I think around £240 from Cornwall Model boats) and is probably better quality. It was also made with the help of the Mary Rose Trust.

You also mention you had delivery issues with the Black Pearl; so what's to say you won't have the same problems again? I think these partworks are a bit of a con. Their kits look inviting, which of course is the intention but, once you take the plunge, it's probably difficult to get out of the situation should you wish to. Have you also noticed that the total price is very hard to find?

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

just as I thought! To the best of my knowledge it runs for 120 issues @ £5.99 a time = £720.00+extras for binders etc..The Caldercraft kit is currently £280.00. I now intend leaving this on the screen "Accidentally" for the Admiral to see, the" Big C" word is only 5 months away  thanks everyone!!  Geoff

Edited by geoff

while excellent kit manufacturers announce kits that never seem to come on the market (Caldercraft HMS Surprise, Amati Revenge), one tends to think about the costs involved with new designs.

On the other hand, they could easily score with updates of their existing kits, and Jotika's Mary Rose certainly would deserve the treatment.  I think not only the foredeck could be modified, but I suspect when I look at pictures of the time, that the rear decks too should be significantly higher.  And then there is the colouring that makes ships of that period such desirable modelling subjects, and which is rather absent from the original Jotika offering (flags, painting scheme...).  

I suppose this could all be scratch built with the Jotika kit as a base, but that would be a tricky business without plans.

Hello Nigel

I have the Caldercraft Mary Rose kit,I am not familar with who and what you are talking about for the Mary Rose.

I would be interested in revising the kit to what would be a more accurate rendering if who's making it is delivering thier kits on time and at a reasonable price.

Living in the States,I do not know who Black Pearl is and what thier reputaion is. Please educate me.

Thanks

Keith from Troutdale,Oregon USA

Hi Keith

The Black Pearl is the ship from Pirates of the Caribbean.A few members on here have started a part work kit build on here but have experienced supply issues with the manufacturer.

The Mary Rose part work model under discussion is by a company called Hachette.

Official information on the additional forecastle deck is thin on the ground at the moment,my guess is that full research is being carried out being anything 'official' is being announced.

Unofficial information was released when the deck was discovered (due to additional dredging of a shipping channel in the Solent) and whilst I did not see the news article,my wife did,and explained that it was believed this would alter the appearance of the design as she was believed to have looked.There is a separate thread discussing this forecastle debate.I do believe that if it is confirmed that the design is different from what CCraft based their model on,they would probably revise their kit.However it could be years before anything is stated officially,so a revised kit would be a long way off.The CCraft kit is an exact a replica of the vessel to the original information,but very much like Vasa,new discoveries are made throwing original research into doubt.

The extra deck would indeed make her more true to the images shown in tapestrys of the period.

Here is a link to the partwork model we are discussing http://www.maryrosecollection.co.uk/

One of the news articles I have found discussing the more recent finds http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/3552860.stm

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

just for info - the Jotika Caldercraft Mary Rose page

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Heritage_Front.htm

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat