Dubz

HMC Sherbourne by Dubz - FINISHED - (Scratch my Sherbourne)

Dirk first a happy new year to you. I just finished reading through your build log. I must say that your work on the rigging at the small scale that you are working at is superb. I have found reading your build to be just what I needed to get back to work on my own little cutter.

Michael

Hello Dirk,

First of all your build is one of the most beautiful models i have ever seen. I am just wondering one thing. As you can see in the pictures below, topmast of your model is at the backside of the mainmast but in the other models i have seen topmasts are in the frontside. I just want to learn which one is correct? Maybe both are correct, idon't know.

Cheers,

Mustafa

imageproxy (2).jpg

pickle111.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

Happy New Year to all of you. Thanks for being part of my Builds, your kind comments and all the likes. All the best for everyone, everywhere in 2020.

Dirk

On 12/30/2019 at 7:47 AM, mtbediz said:

Hello Dirk,

First of all your build is one of the most beautiful models i have ever seen.

I agree with Mustafa.  It really is fun to view the updates to your log, Dirk; especially the close-ups of the metalwork.  I'd bet a lot of ppl would love to see you produce a metalworking tutorial, if you ever had an inkling in putting something together..

Alan

Hi Dirk,

Excellent as always,

The rigging of the buoy is different.  Do the orange ropes not have to pass under the surrounding rope like the opposite side? I just want to learn if there are many way to rig the buoy.

The photos are from La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette.

imageproxy (1).jpg

5b41961926157_Ankerboje271cmKorkscheiben.JPG.b6802215b348776842ae90149d08ff3c.jpg

M5026-2003-DE-559-4.thumb.jpg.47258031b330a3fe4a9adbec9de748d1.jpg

Buoy.jpg

I have to admit I'm getting a little tired of all the little things to do.

Today I secured the binnacle.

aaf8d79e6451d36f774cfb3074f611bb.jpg

I then turned the ships bell.

353b13cc76a63947c6934267587ab469.jpg

4a4e3f8759c124b8b0765688707c8c0f.jpg

6a8152638c83f4f0715ae6a35de22bcf.jpg

Reworked the buoy.

60eb8ac809c843a58aad847986a6a844.jpg

And did some preparations ....

c0a57654fe0ec8fd80b613a678b285f6.jpg

6b5db99e393a6f48532e200c7913def6.jpg

cheers,

Dirk

What flags (union flag or ensign, pennant) are approbriate for the sherbourne?

Posted (edited)

I think you could add any of the three ensigns to the Gaff peak, Red, White, or Blue.

Vessels usually wore the colours of the Squadron to which they were attached, which was determined by the  colour of the Admiral in charge.

Any clues from her history?

Vessels not attached to a particular squadron usually wore the Red Ensign.

Remember in the case of Sherbourne it would be the pre 1801 union version.

The Union Flag was usually only in place at the Jack staff when the vessel was in harbour.

The pennant was raised when a ship was given a commission and flew at all times, whereas the ensigns were not  necessarily worn at all times when at sea.

The pennant could be either the squadron colour or the union version.

In the case of your Sherbourne with its cradle display I would perhaps just show the ensign from the gaff to add a bit of colour. Had the model had sails, or be in a waterline setting I would also add the pennant.

B.E.

Edited by Blue Ensign

On 12/10/2019 at 1:18 PM, DPK said:

P.S. I can send you more of our blocks, if you have not enough :)

Today I got a small parcel from Russia.

No words, just a big "Thanks you" to Master Korabel and @DPK. I really really like these blocks.

master_korabel_blocks_01.jpg

master_korabel_blocks_02.jpg

master_korabel_blocks_10.jpg

master_korabel_blocks_15.jpg

I also had a favorable reaction to MK's blocks in their gunboat kit. The best blocks on the market? No -- but definitely a cut above (maybe even two cuts) what one finds in most kits and certainly a great option for upgrading a model without breaking the bank.

6 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

The best blocks on the market? No -- but definitely a cut above (maybe even two cuts) what one finds in most kits

I don't like to call something the "best" but they are definitely more then one or two cuts above 😉 

But apart from that it is good that there is more choice nowaday. After all, it is also a question of personal taste or priority. I just like the shape of the Master Korabel blocks very much. Even if the wood looks a bit rough (which you don't notice on the model the macro images are also brutal).

Dirk

14 minutes ago, Dubz said:

I just like the shape of the Master Korabel blocks very much. Even if the wood looks a bit rough (which you don't notice on the model the macro images are also brutal).

Thanks for these pictures. That looks like an awesome assortment. I think I may have to pick up some of these blocks as well to give them a try.

Perfect touch of colour Dirk, nice job on the pennant, alway difficult to get hanging right.

What did you base the ensign sizes on ?

B.E.

10 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

What did you base the ensign sizes on ?

Contemporary paintings, my eyes and the two sizes I could choose from (as I bought the flags 😉 ) I choosed the bigger one. 🙂

Dirk