Dubz

HMC Sherbourne by Dubz - (Pimp my Sherbourne)

To get a bit of an order here, and to overcome the 10 image limit, I redid the posts here ;)

All the older buildpics can be seen here: https://picasaweb.google.com/112214601525161753861/BauberichtSherbourneWasserzeichen?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOr25uLXuOOWRw&feat=directlink

Sherbourne_Baubericht_401.jpg

Edit: I could restore a bit via Google Cache, I will edit here the next days:

After a three year building break due to some private issues and high workload, I decided to start a small kit out-of-box just to build a bit and have fun ...  haha .. not possible, I mean the out-of-box. 

Because of that and the long break I simply forgot some of my own rules for building: Measuring and Preparation all the time  Now as it turned out not to be a "simple" build There are some, visible flaws, I have to live with (unfortunatley I am sure u will get what I mean ;-)). 

I also forgot lots of the english words for building a wooden build ship, sorry for that, and "help" is always appreciated. Anyway, as the build is allready in progress I will start with a little Photo-Story and some short comments, and will try to update the build regulary:

Glueing the main wale made with ebony:

Sherbourne_Baubericht_042.jpg

Building the Gratings:

Sherbourne_Baubericht_069.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_075.jpg

Building the "don't know the word" ;)

Sherbourne_Baubericht_115.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_116.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_117.jpg

Researching the Decklayout based on the original plan:

Sherbourne_Baubericht_108.jpg

The final Layout:

Sherbourne_Baubericht_111.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_112.jpg

Cheers,

Dirk

Edited by Dubz

Dirk, it's great to see you're back. I was panicking that I might have lost a really valuable mentor, guide and friendly face. I'm much looking forward to seeing your continued builds.

Tony

Simply amazing work. The first photo is very stylish too.

Perhaps some tips on your photography in the appropriate forum would benefit us all? I know it would, me.

The deck planked (with a major flaw :():

Sherbourne_Baubericht_130.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_135.jpg

The deck waxed (thats the way I make the nails):

Sherbourne_Baubericht_139.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_152.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_153.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_154.jpg

Did some plank doubeling at the bow to fix a flaw:

Sherbourne_Baubericht_156.jpg

Made the Flue:

Sherbourne_Baubericht_159.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_167.jpg

Cheers,

Dirk

Edited by Dubz

Sorry for the little chaos here, couldn't post all the old relicts editing my first post .. too much images ...

Simply amazing work. The first photo is very stylish too.

Perhaps some tips on your photography in the appropriate forum would benefit us all? I know it would, me.

:D I'll try soon, but can't promise atm. Butit's not really magic

cheers,

Dirk

I'm glad of the detail on the gun carriages. I can't remember seeing them first time round.

Thanks

Tony

Hej,

finished the planking, and did the first oiling:

Sherbourne_Baubericht_207.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_208.jpg

First polishing.

Sherbourne_Baubericht_194.jpg

Another oiling:

Sherbourne_Baubericht_209.jpg

Last polishing:

Sherbourne_Baubericht_192.jpg

It's not perfect, there are some minor flaws, but it's ok for me. Next ist to think about the nailing... do I really want to drill round about 800 holes? Hmpf .... 

cheers,

Dirk

small Update on the Bow. Think it's called leveller, but not sure 

Sherbourne_Baubericht_301.jpg

Started production for the guns.

Sherbourne_Baubericht_302.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_303.jpg

Here you can see the original carriage and the "new" one. Also the caldercraft one is absolutley wrong for a british cutter like the Sherbourne, I hate the wood. Theres nothing better then pear

Sherbourne_Baubericht_304.jpg

Next was to drill all the neede holes.

Sherbourne_Baubericht_305.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_306.jpg

A little "preview", still some things to do ;) Next will be the trucks. I'm not happy with the size ofe the eyelets, they could be smaller, not sure how to do it yet, thinking about starting photoetching to make them. Maybe anybody has an idea, or know where to get very small ones? 

Sherbourne_Baubericht_308.jpg

Cheers,

Dirk

Some progress. I oiled the carriages, after I cut a little "line" in to them, cause originally they are made of 2 parts.

Sherbourne_Baubericht_311.jpg

I also made a little jig to glue them later in the exact positions.

Sherbourne_Baubericht_315.jpg

I then thought again about my eyelet-problem, and got an idea  The photoetched hooks delivered with the kit have the exact diameter I would like to have, so I cut one hook, and used only the eye. Thats what I want 

Sherbourne_Baubericht_309.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_313.jpg

I then searched the Jotika-Website but could'nt find them. Instead found this:

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Fittings/83505.htm

Will order them and try out, but as the hooks have kinda rounded eyes, the eyeletts above looks really "flat", I might mail Jotika and ask them to send me 200 hooks 

Cheers,

Dirk

Anyway made some very little progress:

I am not using the barrels coming with the kit (to be honest I am not using much anyway ...) I bought the brass ones from CC. First thing was to solder the trunnions, unfortunatley was the drilling of the small barrels not really exact so that the angle of the trunnions is kinda inclined.

Sherbourne_Baubericht_172.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_175.jpg

The next little thing I made is the iron eye plate for the preventer stay:

Sherbourne_Baubericht_173.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_174.jpg

Thats up for today ;-)

Cheers,

Dirk

This is the last post I made, and still the actual state.

Hej,

just a small Update as I'm quite busy with writing my bachelor thesis.

As I wrote earlier I really would like to have nuts or washers for the tie bolts at the carriages. Doing them by myself in a quality I would like was impossible, as these beasts are damn small. I searched alot about how to make small things like this, and the I found this:

http://www.verlindenonline.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1874

Photoetched Nuts & Washers. Made for plastic tanks these small pieces are perfect for my need :D

Sherbourne_Baubericht_417.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_421.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_422.jpg

Cheers,

Dirk

Hi, I'm Intrigued by the waxing to make nails. Is there a post that explains this process?

Lovely build by the way

Hej,

Hi, I'm Intrigued by the waxing to make nails. Is there a post that explains this process?

Lovely build by the way

I'll try to explain the neccessary steps.

It's not a difficult thing to make the nails with waxing. There is only one essential condition: The wood must be varnished or oiled, so that it is a smooth surface without open pores.

1st Step: Drill the holes:

Sherbourne_Baubericht_425.jpg

2nd Step: Heat the wax:

Sherbourne_Baubericht_424.jpg

5th Step: Arghh, don't know how to explain in english, remove part of the surface with a sharp blade:

Sherbourne_Baubericht_430.jpg

Finish. As you can see here, the wood wasn't oiled or varnished perfectly, so there is some of the wax in the pores, so be very accurate prepairng the surface!

Sherbourne_Baubericht_431.jpg

Varnish or oil the wood again after waxing.

Cheers,

Dirk

Edited by Dubz

Very interesting. I just rubbed cold wax into the holes with the edge of a blade then scraped clean. However, there's no way the finish even matches yours. So your tip is very handy for next time round I do this.

Thanks

Tony

Dubz - Thanks for looking at my build and especially your comment as on seeing this build of yours how impressed I am at what you are achieving - absolutely fantastic. Will keep looking in.

Thanks

Doug

Thanks for your kind comment Doug! Your build is really great! Still at the Syren but it will go on here too sooner or later ;)

cheers,

Dirk

Dirk, your Sherbourne looks great! Typical outstanding Bubz craftsmanship! I just don't know how you can do 2 models in parallel.

I can barely get one done . . .  :)

Thomas

Thanks Thomas for checking out my other baby too :)

It's not really paralell, more mixed seriell :D Good thing is, that I can adapt what I learn from the Sherbourne to the Syren and vice versa ;)

Dirk

Hello Dirk,

As a newbie I have so much to still happily learn, such as you technique for deck nails. I discovered your build as I was admiring (as everyone else is) BE's current build. You had made a response, and I linked to yours.

Again, such artists on MSW really astonishing. I so admire your talents. Beautiful work.

Regards,

Michael

It is a joy to look at your builds Dirk, your work is just beautiful. I have a fondness for these smaller vessels and yours are fine examples.

Regards,

B.E.