Dubz

HMC Sherbourne by Dubz - (Pimp my Sherbourne)

Sorry for the late reply, amongst other things we had a short vacation in Barcelona and lots of work to done.

Anyway to answer the question, yes it is available at: http://prints.rmg.co.uk/art/494933/plan-of-the-sherborne-1763 

Thanks for your nice comments and the likes btw, much appreciated. Hope to get some moddeling time soon aganin ...

cheers,

Dirk

Today I finished Sherbournes gun rigging. Here I had to optioptimize the distance even more everything needed to be as short as possible.

Sherbourne_Baubericht_598.jpg

I also hat to "run in" the guns a bit, otherwise no chance ...

Sherbourne_Baubericht_599.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_601.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_602.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_603.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_604.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_606.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_605.jpg

cheers,

Dirk

Looking good Dubz.  I'm curious about the identical color schemes.  Was that your choice, or are both the Syren and Sherbourne historically in the same colors?

They look great, it's just a curiosity question and I'm too lazy to research it myself.  :)

Thanks a lot for your comments and the likes :)

Couldn't see blocks and ropes the last days so I needed to do something with wood .. haha ... working on a stand for Sherbourne.

Sherbourne_Baubericht_608.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_609.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_610.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_611.jpg

cheers,

Dirk

Hi Dirk

just catched your Sherbourne buildlog, simply fantastic details!!

I copied some explanations to be used also for my Colibri :P

Question: is Dafi selling his great photoeatched parts on some e-shop link?

Thanks and cheers

Fam

Edited by Fam

It's a while ... hahah. Now that I am almost finish with Maria I decided to go on with the little cutter here before I start another one with Master Korabels AVOS 🙂

The Sherbourne is an older cutter with a correspondingly older rigging and topmast behind the mast. I was and still am very torn which way I should go. I got great help and information from Tony and Gregor. Thanks again for that.

In fact it is not easy to find good information about the old rigging. Petterson's book refers to the rather new rigging, the Alert basically to the old one but with a more elaborate rigging owed to the bigger ship.

There is probably no such beautiful 1:1 instruction. Also the measurements are "difficult", the plans of the Sherbourne are non-uniform and basically crap with the super simplified rigging.

Marquardt's book also shows the older rig but also for a bigger cutter. Well, I'm going to tinker with that now. Based on the Alert, taking Chuck's Cherful plans as a further orientation, I'm going to get a feel for it and hope to get a reasonably correct rig.

So first I needed to made dowels of pear. From square to octagonal to round.

3bb8a45f8fcd5ec2b7c73b46996d7d50.jpg

517e611a9fe3ebe9b29aebe12de22366.jpg

c24d0d53b824e743543ea811e26c0fa5.jpg

1f75d42440b5df594684fbf7af79f859.jpg

After the Mainmast was mostly build I had to turn the Topmast.

3c82ee715f4e9eee3599a73387a81a0c.jpg

deda75e5108eeffdb0e19fc653fa3880.jpg

1e429a3cd8d22cd1993862f6a67d6b20.jpg

19ab92bbf8a87f5d611e46e58574d9f8.jpg

a152fe9ba3548254e73bef8dc7187bee.jpg

cheers,

Dirk

Good to see this back on course. I am sure your little Sherbourne is delighted to be paid attention again!

Tony

7 minutes ago, Dubz said:

It's a while ... hahah. Now that I am almost finish with Maria I decided to go on with the little cutter here before I start another one with Master Korabels AVOS 🙂

Dirk

Dirk,

Have you looked into the HMS Alert from that Chinese team of modelers, for your next model? It looks very promising and quite an incredible model to do.

Yves

I think a crucial decision about the rigging is whether you place the topmast fore or aft of the mainmast as it is quite different depending on the position. Both positions were current at the time. It may depend on the height of the mast. You might remember the discussion we had about this with Gregor and Stockholm Tar, who decided to put the topmast aft, like the kit and as did George Bandurek. However, the 1763 cutter I saw in Chatham had the topmast fore, as had the later contemporary cutters that were there. Petersson also placed his topmast fore of the mainmast in his drawing from the cutter in the Science Museum. So I decided the other way, partly also on what I saw were the forces on the top mast if it was placed aft. I'm not saying one is more correct than the other -- just that the choice leads to different rigging.

You can see these in my pics at

The full range of pics are also available in the Gallery of Contemporary Models from Museums and Private Collections, e.g.

Tony

Thanks Tony!

I'll go with Topmast aft as on the Hawke, the Alert and on the Marquardt Drawing. 

I will see where it will lead me though ... haha.

cutter.jpg

Great to see your skills being applied to this model. Beautiful work.

Tony

I went with the altered rig and topmast abaft on my version, which is in the gallery. I cannot remember now how I came up with the proper spar dimensions -- probably derived them from info in the ATOS book.

That's the way I will go too Chris.

🙂