Dubz

HMC Sherbourne by Dubz - (Scratch my Sherbourne)

Thanks a lot for your likes and comments. Glad you like my babies :)

Another Update ;) This time with some - I'm pretty sure - allready missed macros :D

Sherbourne_Baubericht_526.jpg

Made the crank handle for the windlass.

Sherbourne_Baubericht_531.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_535.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_539.jpg

The stanchion for the entry ladder. I used some small brass tube, Dafis eyebolts and some micro washer. All soldered together in pure harmony ... ähm ...

Sherbourne_Baubericht_532.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_534.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_536.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_537.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_540.jpg

A small detail for the iron bowsprit retaining fit (not sure if this is "correct" .. but ... pfffff )

Sherbourne_Baubericht_527.jpg

Cheers,

Dirk

Thanks for supporting me with all you likes and nice comments :)

@Jan: One fun part for me is to try out what level of detail is possible and how accurate can I work so that things look nice in macroview ... it's a lot about redoing and/or finding different ways to do things and in this way learning new techniques ... while building there is so many to discover, materials, tools, best practise and else ...  

I'm pretty sure in this scale rigging will be a love and hate relationship ... so damn small for so many potential details .... 

Anyway some first rope work ... haha ... damn small knots :D

Sherbourne_Baubericht_542.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_541.jpg

cheers,

Dirk

Hello Dirk,

Thank you for sharing your progress. She is looking sensational! A real inspiration. Unfortunately I have no time right now to go ahead with my builds :-(

Cheers, Daniel.

Edited by Siegfried

Gun Rigging Part 1:

It was quite a difficult decision what diameter to take for the breeching rope. It's kinda visual compromise with 0.63mm, a bit to thick at the breech but ok for the rest imo, especially in a non closeup view. I used the variant showed in the AOTS Alert book ... but ... haha ... no idea how this should work :D

Sherbourne_Baubericht_543.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_544.jpg

Next will be a lot of 0.1mm tackles near the ring ... hmpf ... 

cheers,

Dirk

Dirk,

You're guns look good, and the breech rope looks just the job. Is that Chuck's rope you are using? They look way better than mine, which are certainly under scale – but too late now! :(

Thanks for the link to Alex M, that is indeed some nice rope !

Outstanding work as usual Dirk.

Eamonn

Thanks guys :)

Gun Rigging Part 2:

Made the small tackles and then glued all guns on deck, yeah :D

A little picture howto:

Sherbourne_Baubericht_545.jpg

glue the small rope with CA

Sherbourne_Baubericht_546.jpg

Wrap around the rope

Sherbourne_Baubericht_547.jpg

After 5 rounds some more CA to fix it then a little cut

Sherbourne_Baubericht_548.jpg

The result:

Sherbourne_Baubericht_549.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_556.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_557.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_552.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_559.jpg

cheers,

Dirk

Very nice and neat. Are you going to put all of thr rigging on or use the leave as is convention? Great looking model.

David B

The rope work is very impressive, however the breech ropes should pass through the rings on the sides of the truck without deviation (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g186298-i74262215-Portsmouth_Hampshire_England.html). The second any of the guns as modelled recoiled, the rings would be torn out of their mountings.

Happy (and frustrated) modelling,

Mike

Mike, thanks for your comment. The rope is exactly as described in AOTS Alert, yes it is unusual, but it makes sense somehow. These are small guns, the Sherbourne ones with 3 pounds even smaller than the Alerts with 6. Tbh I don't think that there is any real power in the recoil ;)

cheers,

Dirk

Dirk,

Only a query about the rope's 'point of manufacture', but this certainly looks good too!

That's a good way of seizing the breech rope. I have an idea that the loop around the cascable had a seizing as well, but I may be mistaken.

I have an idea that the loop around the cascable had a seizing as well, but I may be mistaken.

I thought about that aswell. In the book there is no sizing shown and after doing some tests with a bottle and some rope :D I can say in principle it seems not to be neccessary. Only - visual - problem is that the cascable of the barrels are too big, not really in scale. Anyway ... :P

Dirk

Gun Rigging Part 3

The gun tackles. I used Chuck's 2mm single blocks and Dafi's smallest hooks, single just because I only have singles and I don't think for a 3 pounder doubles are needed. As a compromise I made no dedicated eye (is this the correct word for?) for the hook mainly because of the limited length, ever 0.1mm counts. It's a pretty short distance.

I have 32 tackles to made, 31 to go .. hmpf ... 

Sherbourne_Baubericht_564.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_565.jpg

I also like to present my birthday present :D Tablesaw built by Alex M. :)

Sherbourne_Baubericht_562.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_561.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_563.jpg

cheers,

Dirk

I also like to present my birthday present :D Tablesaw built by Alex M. :)

Sherbourne_Baubericht_562.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_561.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_563.jpg

cheers,

Dirk

Not jealous....

... OK, I am!

Furthermore... with a Proxxon rotary, Proxxon and Mill and a bespoke table saw, I assume next build will be scratch? ;-)

Edited by Marsares

Your gun work is excellent! Can't wait to get there myself. Unfortunately I am still trying to find the time to tackle the head rail. And there are more enticing tasks to building the Syren than this one  ;)

Thomas

It's been a little while, quite busy with jobs atm.

What has happen ...

First I did some modifications to my workshop, I built another shelf and bought a new, bigger worktop to have more space for tools and stuff.

Sherbourne_Baubericht_566.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_572.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_574.jpg

I also bought me a nice little tool I now need to learn to use, an old Unimat 3 Lathe :)

Sherbourne_Baubericht_575.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_576.jpg

One of the next things I need to solve is the light situation, thats still not optimal for working.

After all I found some time to work on the Sherbourne too, yeah ;)

I redid the breeching rope.

Sherbourne_Baubericht_571.jpg

And finally finished the windlass with some microgear I bought.

Sherbourne_Baubericht_577.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_578.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_579.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_580.jpg

Sherbourne_Baubericht_581.jpg

As soon I get the new, a bit smaller hooks made by Dafi (!!! go go go !!!) I'll go back to rigging the guns.

cheers,

Dirk

Cool little building den.. sooo clean, mine still looks like an explosion in a timber yard ! will have to address that this week sometime as it is getting to the point where I'm spending more time looking for stuff than actually doing stuff :mellow:

All The Best Dirk

Eamonn

BTW  Sherbourne looks amazing too, almost goes without saying.. ^_^