Work Table Light needed

Hi

Looking to replace my work table light.Need one that is very bright and one that is on an adjustable arm. My table is in a room that I cannot put a large light above it from the ceiling,only on a stand from the table top,or clamp on the edge.

Thanks

Keith

I have two magnifying glass/lights on spring loaded locking arms

One on my scroll saw and one on my work bench

Just push them back for illumination and pull them forward to highlight (enlarge) my mistakes

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Can you mount light on a lamp post so the light is reflected from the ceiling and walls instead of mounting for direct lighting . Much better and very few shadows,  small, movable arm spot lights could be mounted on each end of the table for a bright concentrated light when and where needed.

jud

WOW 400+ dlls for a desk lamp????

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I found a very inexpensive lamp that clamps onto the work table.  It has a circular fluorescent bulb around the  outer ring and an incandescent bulb in the center.  You can turn on either or both lamps and the arm and fixture are completely adjustable.  I love it.  I also have a separate light, also clamped to the table that has a circular fluorescent bulb and  a big magnifying glass in the middle.  I use it only occasionally for very detail work but don't consider it strong enough to light my workspace.

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

Higher quality lamps are definitely not cheap.  I spent a little more money and bought Electrix brand lamps off ebay to save money (I think the 7122 and the 2246 models).  One is just purely a 100 watt bulb, the other has an incandescent and circular fluorescent bulb with a built in magnifier.  I really like them, and haven't found any of the clamp issues that are reported on Amazon with mine.  

When I did research on lamps with extending arms, the biggest complaint was that the cheap ones wont stay locked in position.  To me that was annoying, if not potentially dangerous when using power equipment.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Try checking your local office supply store.  They usually sell all kinds of desk lamps and drafting table lamps.  Many are clamp type, others have a base.  They also have different adjustments and bulb types.    I have 4 lamps in my workshop.  One is a utility type under the cabinet (kitchen type) over my lathe.  The other three are adjustable, one magnifier, one with a clamp base at my mill and table saw and the last sits on it's base over by build table.  I can move it where I need it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I like the OttLite.  I have the basic / original flip up light, purchased over 20 years ago when I was doing a lot of art quilting.  They have a proprietary light bulb that shows true colors, day or night.  Check out the color shown here: http://www.ott-lite.com/t-why-ottlite.aspx

Mine is older and is similar to this one:  http://www.ottlite.com/p-342-13w-folding-task-lamp.aspx

They have many styles available, including clamp on desk version of this lamp with a 3x magnifier:  http://www.ottlite.com/p-59-easy-view-floor-lamp.aspx

Ott lights are like ink jet printers, they're reasonably priced but they get you with the dedicated replacement bulbs.  My Ott light cost $40, but a replacement bulb is $18.  However, I've been using the same light bulb for 20 years. 

They have numerous styles available that can be purchased at local retailers or on-line. 

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

For a decent work lamp I use a base mounted flexible shaft type. I was wondering would LED lights be any good? I have never used them.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard