Preussen Clipper by Chasseur - Ship in Bottle

Nice looking tools.  I like the paint brush. Very clever.

Jeff, bob said it as well as i could have. Great to see your picking away at things, good luck with the shut down. A cheap source of good hard wire is bicycle spokes.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 months later...

Life has been crazy busy at work and being stuck in the sandwich generation makes life challenging at the best of time. I have three projects on the go right now. Building a board game, writing an article, and of course the Preussen.

I haven’t done much on this clipper however I hope to get a lot done over the Christmas holidays as I have two weeks off. :P

If the Lord is willing and I don’t get too many intrusions a lot can be done on her. I plan to supper detail her and hopefully Saint Nick will bring me a Miniature punch set from RP Toolz out of Budapest.

I found a dealer in British Columbia that carries this wonderful set of punches ranging from .5 mm to 2 mm. THE TOOL is great for punching out circles for portholes, and making miniature blocks/tackle. I was turned on to this set at a meeting I attended with Michael Mott. I have learned a lot from Michael and too bad he moved to B.C. I will miss him, a really nice guy!

The following pictures show the Artwox decking installed, an anchor winch modelled and spotted, some deck hatches in place, and 4 out of 5 the mast locaters in place as well. I apologize for the pictures I took them with my IPhone as my digital camera is at work. More to come at Christmas … Jeff

post-10500-0-92797800-1448590715_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-44336800-1448590734_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-93334000-1448590748_thumb.jpg

Links to the other two projects

http://www.bottledshipbuilder.com/index.php?/topic/182-blockade-runner/

http://www.bottledshipbuilder.com/index.php?/topic/116-article-for-lone-warrior/

A mighty fortress is our God a bulwark never failing!

Hey Jeff, good to see you still working on the ship. well the whole move to BC is not in the cards at the moment. Things change and we adjust to the change.

We are here for the time being and are not planning on moving at the moment.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Hi Jeff

It's certainly great to see you back posting again. I had wondered where you've been, but, of course life always get in the way.

Your ship's looking really good and you're certainly off and running now.

I look forward to seeing what you're able to get done over the Christmas break.

All the best

Patrick

She's looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Wow Michael I had assumed you were gone! I trust all is well with you and yours?

Hey Patrick life has a way of getting in the way sometimes and I feel blessed I have a hobby. This year has been extremely busy to say the least. Anyway looking forward to a couple of weeks off to recharge the batteries and chill in the Man Cave!

Stay tuned

Thanks Bob!

Today was a big win for me. I hummed and hawed about purchasing the tool from RP Toolz for $134 CDN funds. I just couldn’t justify paying that kind of dough for punching out small plastic discs.  So being the frugal guy that I am I made my own to experiment with?  To my pleasant surprise it turned out well. I used a piece of stick pin for my first size of .5 mm or about .020” in diameter and installed it into a piece of wooden doweling.

Then I cut two pieces of thin Plexiglas and pinned them in place with some piano wire. I drilled a .5 mm hole in the middle. I put a couple of pieces of Popsicle sticks underneath and glued them in place. I punched 5 pieces out of 0.10” clear styrene and painted them flat black to represent portholes on the Preussen as a trial. Acrylic paint was used.

Also to my surprise I flipped the discs over and I get a shiny glass looking appearance with the flat black on the backside to show some depth. It’s hard to see in the photograph but it’s there.

Note those dots you see are half a millimetre in diameter. I used my iPad to magnify it so you can make them out. If you look just below the dots you can just make out where I punched them out of the styrene. Look closely … Jeff

post-10500-0-52549100-1448840088_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-73607300-1448840106.jpg

:10_1_10:

Way to go.  I love homemade tools.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I had a chance to get back to the Preussen SIB. First picture is a little holder I made to hold small part(s) while I work on them and then paint them up accordingly. The holder can go into my mechanical arm as well for ergonomic reasons when working on the bench.

post-10500-0-05639500-1452798536_thumb.jpg

Second photo is another holder I made for painting and this photo shows two scratch built chicken coups less paint on top of the two tooth pics . These coups are located beside the anchor winch on deck just underneath two ladders that head up to the forecastle. The coups will be painted brown and some straw color. BTW those two chicken coups you see measured 1 mm X 1.5 mm.

post-10500-0-69668900-1452798669_thumb.jpg

Next picture shows a piece of thin plastic I will eventually punch port holes into to show the portholes that are located in the forward bunk area underneath the forecastle deck adjacent anchor winch. Portholes will be 0.2 mm in diameter. This piece will be glued on after all of the detail work is done.

post-10500-0-33268700-1452798771_thumb.jpg

Next two shots show the forward entrances to the area underneath the mizzen mast. There are 3 man hatches and each hatch has a 0.2 mm porthole modeled and the other three are bigger windows at 0.5 mm in diameter. First shot picked up some yellow light from the deck and looks weird. Second photo shows it more clearly against a white background. Not bad for an I Phone. If you look really closely I even modeled the base board underneath the hatches that lies against the wall and deck.

post-10500-0-45792300-1452799037_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-17400700-1452798896_thumb.jpg

Last but not least ‘a close up shot of the bowsprit inserted into the hull.’ This is going to get really interesting as… at this scale I have to drill holes in it for jibs et al. Also… there are metal fittings for rigging from the sprit to the hull. She’s going to be dicey at this scale however I think I can pull it off.

post-10500-0-76526300-1452798932_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

In order to get ‘some scale port holes’ small enough and to add some realism to the Preussen I set upon this little project to make myself a small bore tubing cutter. As a bonus it can nip off spars and masts as well.

I have to commend Igor Sky as his post here on Model Ship World got this project rolling as he was struggling with the same issue in trying to cut small piping without crushing it. The following photos show the process of installing the blade assembly, blade cover, piping receiver, and thumb screw assembly to put some pressure on the piping when cutting it off.

The candidate for the project is 1/32” brass piping purchased from K and S out of the USA. Also I had one small piece left from my Father in Laws aeroplane modelling days to play with as well. The small screws came from an old smart phone that cratered on my eldest son. Smart phones are a treasure trove for small scale project’s as the shapes are miniature and square to the earth!

post-10500-0-48787400-1454960086_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-51741200-1454960112_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-42673000-1454960128_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-13649800-1454960147_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-06745000-1454960162_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-92434100-1454960192_thumb.jpg

I also had to heat the cutting blade cherry red then dip it in some motor oil to temper and harden it. In order for the tubing not to slip out of my grip a ‘Tee Handle’ was soldered on so I could cut the piping off. I made the blade cover removable by removing three screws and then quickly swinging it out of the way to change up blades as I go.

post-10500-0-40027000-1454960239_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-51791400-1454960255_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-34724700-1454960270_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-74961700-1454960289_thumb.jpg

So there you have it a nice little tool to aid in the build of small scale port holes ... Jeff

Hi Jeff, I am sorting out how you cut the tube, am I correct in that you cut the tube by rotating it in the v slot  sort of like a miniature tube cutter, or am I missing something?

Michael

Hi Michael,

You are correct just like an automotive brake line tube cutter. The thumb screw presses the blade against the tube in the v slot. Then I turn the tube and increase pressure until it shears off.

Edited by Chasseur

Hi Jeff!

I admire to your fundamental approach to solving technical problems! Bravo!

By the way, I often use the needle from the syringe when I need small diameter tubes with thin walls.

I use my Proxxon to cut off a piece of the tube of the desired length. I am clamping the tube in Proxxon and I cut it with a scalpel. I process the pipe end with Proxxon also.

Best Regards!

Igor.

Jeff,

They also make more than mini-drills.  Do a search either here or on Google, you'll see what I mean.  Also, one of our sponsors here at MSW is a dealer:  http://www.proxxontoolsdiscount.com/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fabulous !!

sos

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Hi Michael,

You are correct just like an automotive brake line tube cutter. The thumb screw presses the blade against the tube in the v slot. Then I turn the tube and increase pressure until it shears off.

Ahhh! I was wondering the same thing. Ingenious and I think I might nick that idea!

Thanks, Jeff.

Cheers

Patrick

Top Notch looking rudder Jeff, and tiny too.

Michael

Let me pull out may magnifying glass.  Nice way to connect that part to the rudder.  Will you be able to simulate the rudder hinges or will they be to small to see.

David B

@ David

Believe me in my warped mind I thought about hinges .... however as Cog noted too small to see however the top part has to be paired down a touch where it enters the stern section to keep things accurate.

There was a gent on the Internet who put it all into perspective and I quote:

When working on miniatures each part of the miniature is a model on to its own. I like his thinking ... Jeff

Wow, wish I could get that kind of detail in such small scale. Looks really good Jeff!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Great work Jeff. She's looking great. I like how you accomplished the ships line on the stern. Very smooth and precise.