One of the dangers of not cutting the wood fairly early is the potential for the log to check often badly. I have found that by cutting the wood into fairly decent sized billets or planks depending on how big the log is is to sticker it and stack it in the open air but sheltered from the weather. even if it is a small log say 2 to 3 inches in diameter, Cutting it up into 12 to 18 inch lengths and then re sawing it into some planks, then using some Popsicle sticks as stickers, and hold the lot together with some bicycle inner-tube rubber bands will help the wood to dry more evenly. It is also good to put paraffin wax on the ends of the boards to slow down the rapid evaporation from the ends.

I have dried Maple, Yew, Apple, cherry, Lilac(absolutely beautiful wood) Willow, Birch Poplar and Spruce. it is fun being able to harvest your own wood

Michael

Great advice, I wish that I didn't have to find out the hard way. :huh:   Years ago we took down an apple tree in my Dad's yard, quartered the pieces, but didn't turn it into planks, it is beautiful wood, but checked badly. Later took down some cedar, rough-planked it and it dried wonderfully.  Live and learn--slowly...

• 5 weeks later...