HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

Yeah some are stuck for a fortnight in the ice of the Antarctica, but nobody tells about dafi, being confined for 3 weeks in the austrian mountains, far off his beloved ship yard ...

But also the mountains sometimes surprise with maritime content, as to be seen with the SMS Trinkstein ...

Also this time dafi had his maritime moments and that was not surprising ;-)

There in the deepest valley, where the sun refused to shine, there she was lost, the proud Stixtenstein, lost long ago in the dark days of lost tales, lost in the rigid hardness of the towering mountains beside, just in the wake of the safe harbour of the fortress. Deeply sunken into the elements only the topgallant of her once sky scraping proud masts still was greeting the sea-farers ...

... and of course, dafi had to follow immediately his primal instincts, sending himself aloft ...

Austria-140103_1547.jpg

... and putting in two reefs of clouds to make the sun shine again :-)

Austria-140103_1545.jpg

And now greeting happily as dafi finally learned, that there is no problem to climb up overhanging ratlines like the futtock shrouds and wishes a happy 2014 to everyone!!!

Edited by dafi

May you soon be out of the mountains and back in the safety of your shipyard.   Will there be an attempt to raise the Stixtenstein?????

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

hope you had a good holiday yourself Daniel.   you think as I do........fun is where you find it  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Papa got a brand new toy :-)

Until now I used a low-cost-solution: 7 Euro from the supermarket 3 dioptrien with LED!

Victory_glasses.jpg

But then the fam saw me  looking at those magnifiying glases at the optitian ...

... and surprise!

Got them for X-Mess :-)

Victory-140112_1582.jpg

Restartet doing some micro-surgery ...

Victory-140112_1580.jpg

... and therfore: Big Grin !!!

Victory-140112_2.jpg

With 130 Euro a bit more expensive then my old one, but much more comfortable than the ones that go around the head, almost no weight, no destroyed hairdo and to be worn over the normal glases and better vision than my cheap glases.

Cheers, Daniel

Dafi,

I have been thinking about getting a pair of those lenses. I didn't realise that they also give new dimensions to self photography! :o  :)  :) 

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

The thumb thing, BTW, is a thumb stall.  It's not so much to protect the thumb as to seal the vent.  When the sponge or rammer is sent into the barrel it pushes air and you don't want that going through the vent as it can ignite left-over embers and cause the new cartridge to ignite as it's rammed home.

The thumb-stall is a very important safety job and isn't just laid on the vent.  It's pressed on and twisted so the tip of your thumb is pointed at your right hip with your elbow pointed to the right as you face toward the muzzle.

Edited by JerryTodd

Click a pic to go to that build log

sig_flags.png stamp_stella.jpg stamp_mac.jpg stamp_pride.jpg stamp_gazela.jpg

Daniel........you are just plain having ....too much fun  :)    I have an optivisor.......hardly ever use it.   we have a discount store where I live,  that sells glasses with a variety of different strengths.......about $2.00 a pair.   I wear reading glasses with a strength of 1.25.......I also have a pair of 1.50 and 1.75.   I have a pair of 2.00.......but I don't wear them very much.......gives me a headache.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...
Oh that feels great ...

... after being off for that many weeks - job, holiday, job - now back on the drug ...

... back in the shipyard again :-)

I already showed the carving ...

Victory-140112_1580.jpg 

... I tried long to finally find the right way to display those tendrils on the supports of the side entry port canopy. Positive carving, modeling with clay - nothing worked.

Then the idea to carve it in the negative way ...

Victory140114_1584.jpg

... and have a thin cast and glue it together :-)

Here the family juwels:

Victory140115_1598.jpg

Left bottom the old casted parts from the carved styrene carvings of the ones on my model. Left top sculpted with Magic Sculpt - not successful - , then the negativ carvings with a thin cast, below left the first test and right the improved carving with the thin face side sculted with Magic Sculpt and right the final casts and black the final cast with primer :-)

From near it looks like this:

Victory140115_1591.jpg

And with some paint it is near what i wanted to achieve ...

Victory-140123_1876.jpg

... then the small crown underneath the canopy with its flags ...

Victory-140119_1854.jpg

... both parts together ...

Victory-140123_1883.jpg

... feels good :-)

Now just the new canopy ...

Cheers, Daniel

Nice to see you back

Happy new year

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

...and a great way to produce those sculpted knees that you would see adorning the overhangs and out croppings!  such a great idea Daniel.......... :)

welcome back!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great carving work and at 1:100 too.... :o  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Sirs :-)

Very appreciated.

Cheers, Daniel

Daniel,

Discovered your build, thankfully, by accident. I was on the Victory Etch Parts web site and a link fell on your build. AWESOME, though I'm sure that you have read that adjective before about your Victory.

I will join your legion of followers as well. Spectacular build. Those etched parts are worth their weight in gold, well let's say silver at least (:-) Your super clever use of them is superlative.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thank you very much Michael - just trying to do the best with my humble means :-)

XXXDAn

good afternoon my friend

can any of the ageing effects you have used, be transferred  over to wood, as part of my Victory diorama, i don't want her looking pristine, but looking like she has had to work for her living, but not so much battle damage, just heavy used

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hy Kevin, 

should be applicable without problem.

I used casein paints. A bit smelly - rotten milk - but wonderful to work with. If the wood is painted, you can apply the paint in thin layers with different shades until the wanted effect is reached or even take a wet cloth and take the paint off and restart over again. Once really dry it always will stay water soluble but is strong enough to hold it in the hand without leaving marks - if hands are not too wet ;-)

Cheers, Daniel

thank you

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

As always, make wooden samples and test it before you touch the real thing :-)

DAniel

Finally ...

... finished the canopy, was working on the whole set since late last year.

dafis law for modelmakers Nr 57:

If a part is not working well - try not to fix it - make a new one!

Here are the 4 parts for the entrance port:

Canopy, two pillars and the carvings with crown and coat of arms over the entrance.

Victory-140201_1981.jpg

And immediately the fitting test:

Victory-140201_1983.jpg

Victory-140201_1989.jpg

And here the painted version as shown before.

Victory-140201_1990.jpg

Cheers, Daniel

PS: I did not cut the port yet as I dot know if I still need the hull other wise ...

Miracles happen ...

... I finally found time to finish the refined side steps on the spare kit ...

Victory-140209_2001.jpg

... first prepared single steps ...

Victory-140209_2006.jpg

... and here the revised version with the different depth of the steps underneath the admirals entrance :-)

Victory-140209_2009.jpg

Still a tad uneven, as just being fixed on double sided tape, but very near to what I wanted.

XXXDAn

• 2 weeks later...
Doing what I can do best ...

... DESTRUCTION ...

Victory-140219_2268.jpg

... and even ...

... more DESTRUCTION ...

Victory-140219_2271.jpg

... okokokok ...

... I also cleared up ...

Victory-140220_2274.jpg

... the whole thing ...

Victory-140220_2277.jpg

... and then carefully choosing some important steps in the circle of life of a big ship :-)

Victory-140220_2290.jpg

Cheers, Daniel

Whew... scared me for a minute.  I didn't think anyone did DESTRUCTION like I just did.  :)   Nice work on repacing the steps.  They now look fit for an admiral.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I can see a subtle difference Daniel,  in how everything looks.   you did very well with the reno  ;)   but,  I do have to ask why.......I thought you did a splendid job on this originally ;)   was it because you did a refinement on the replacement parts?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thank you Sirs :-)

In fact, those old steps were already for quite a while on the to-mess-up-list - that is why I tackled the refined ones :-)

Actually those first ones were some kind of historic parts: the first details beyond oob on the model :-)

victory-fraesen1.JPG

Mark one still with Humbrol Colors.

victory-porticus.jpg

At a later stage the supports underneath were added, but still - the base was too thick for my liking. 

640_Victory-treppe.JPG

So here already come the replacement parts ...

... first cleared up ...

Victory-140220_2274.jpg

... the whole thing ...

Victory-140220_2277.jpg

... and then carefully choosing some important steps in the circle of life of a big ship :-)

Victory-140220_2290.jpg

Cheers, Daniel

Already looking forward for the first touch of paint on the new ones :-)

XXXDAn

Daniel, the new steps look great although the old ones were nice as well.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I enjoy how you always look to improve the improved!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Daniel,

Nice upgrade.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

The "Mark One" Steps were stuck on the hull, UHU-Plast flooded into the gap in the back, and thick paint to cover it up. Worked well as it stayed on the ship for more than 10 years :-)

For some reasons did not work this time ...

But I better spare you THOSE  Pictures. So pulled down the paint again - was easy as it was to thick and come down like a rubber coat.

Instead of the usual car filler I lately use the 2 component sculpting masses. More time to work with and being able to place it properly and still form it to the wanted effect.

My favourite is Apoxie Sculpt, a small saussage of 0,3 mm placed on the gap ...

Victory-140223_2292.jpg

... and squeezed in with a moistened wooden stick, moulded and already taken out the surplus material.

Victory-140223_2298.jpg

After drying the fine tuning ...

Victory-140223_2300.jpg

... with some sanding paper glued onto an old blade :-)

Also easy to fit other places ...

Victory-140223_2304.jpg

... like a small blister on the edge of the cast of the canopy. Also works for the steps. After modelling I just lift it up from its place and add some CA underneath with the help of a toothpick, like this it wont come of while sanding to form. 

Victory-140223_2307.jpg

Edited by dafi