HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

As usual, the last details always need most attention and especially work ...

800_Victory-stopper_1629.jpg

Whaddat? A dogstopper. Where from? From deep inside, there where fixing bits on bitts is the most fun, located at number 2.

800_Victory-stopper_1636.jpg

And it is rather clear immediately. As the turns around the bitts won´t give enough grip for the anchor cable, the cable is further held by several stoppers. The dogstopper secures the incoming side of the cable against the outgoing side before and after the bitt.

800_Victory-stopper_1650.jpg

In front of it we have the bittstopper, alternatively done without the short strop and lashed directly against the bitt ...

800_Victory-stopper_1649.jpg

... and behind  we have n# 3, 4 and 5 three deckstoppers, short strop against an eyebolt and with a thinner rope for lashing. 

800_Victory-stopper_1641.jpg

This thinner rope is turned around several times inside the cuntline before being lashed up.

800_Victory-stopper_1659.jpg

Greetings, Daniel

Known for my non linear working scheme, I tackled something I was pushing for a while, the lettering for the figurehead.

After long search I found the (possibly) smallest letters available. After all these years of building the first PE ;-)

First a template to get a feeling for the space and needed sizes ...

800_Victory-figurehead_1857.jpg

... and really it is the smallest of the set ...

800_Victory-figurehead_1866.jpg

... after cutting the letters I placed them on the backside of a Post-it, as this one glues not too heavily.

Then side 1 "Honi soit q(ui)", the last two letters underneath the volute ...

800_Victory-figurehead_1879.jpg

... and side 2 "mal y pense" .

800_Victory-figurehead_1872.jpg

For glueing I gave up the CA quite fast, and came back to the hint to try paint. The best was the matt varnish I had for my decks.

But not easy to cut without zoing and free ticket to nowhere, and placing on the right place before the paint is too dry ...

And afterwards the next task: the letters on the side of the stem.

Creating some cleanroom atmosphere ...

800_Victory-figurehead_1887.jpg

... and after some nerve wrecking long moments, tada ...

800_Victory-figurehead_2187.jpg

... "Dieu et mon Droit",  ...

800_Victory-figurehead_2192.jpg

... and a last one to enjoy.

800_Victory-figurehead_2203.jpg

Amicalement, Daniel

"A machine that will serve me well"

These are the words, that B.E. used when he got his little serving machine.

So here comes my interpretation of it.

800_Victory-serving_2210.jpg

Famous for my lifetime-supply of old Fischer-Technics (luckily my son never was interested in), it can be either turned by hand ...

800_Victory-serving_2211.jpg

... or the motor can be switched down. As it is works by friction and not by the gearwheel, the drive can be stopped easily while working just by holding the axis if any correction is needed

800_Victory-serving_2212.jpg

I did not use hooks but tubes, a wire is used to get the lines through ...

800_Victory-serving_2240.jpg

... and the other side is hold by a toothpic squeezed into the tube. Like this I can shift the serving area to the left or right if longer distances are needed.

800_Victory-serving_2213.jpg

First tests on the trials of the mainstay show a nice result, still showing the structure underneath.

800_Victory-serving_2215.jpg

But it not just works for the big ones, here are the tests for the thinner ropes, this one 0,5 mm thick.

800_Victory-serving_2245.jpg

Here some serving tests. Right the 3/0 fly fishing yarn with the charm of dental floss - very uncool. On the left my usual 8/0 yarn, much better :-) After serving a touch of CA on the ends, still some diluted white glue along the sausage. And juch-huui!

Still tried the 6/0 one, the black one on the right, that is a tad thicker and goes therefore faster in serving, that it will be.

800_Victory-serving_2253.jpg

Also tried the direction of serving. Going with the cuntlines - here serving rightwards - results in the serving line getting stuck in the groove and running of, like seen on the right side of the orange one. So always against the cuntlines, that it means :-)

And the result? The modelling ropes have the bad habit to flatten if taken around sharp turns. Totally uncool. Not with Dr. dafis non-patented serving machine! Here a rope of 0,5 mm wraps itself gently around a 0,5 mm drill and nicely keeps its form.

800_Victory-serving_2269.jpg

And smaller parts? No prob, if well planned, some of these can be ...

800_Victory-serving_2280.jpg

... nicely placed on the same line like Münchhausens duck hunting :-)

800_Victory-serving_2285.jpg

So have a nice day until it will be shouted again: "Mom, he did it again!!!"

Sincereily, dafi

PS: This kind of machines can be found in many variations on the net, either to buy or DIY. But this was a great opportunity to proove dear darling wife that it was a wise decision to keep all these items in the cellar, and not to sell, swoop, give as present - or even through away - already many years ago ... XXXDAN

Edited by dafi

The bosum´s mate´s whistle sounds across the deck ...

... I will make you spin, dirty old landlubbers, ...

Jack, Ben and Phil are looking with astonishment. The head still heavy, but not from the lovely sound of the beautiful voice, no, much more from yesterdays rum in the cosy inn "at the funny anchor", where this lovely mate made them sign in, for a funny cruise with plenty of entertainment and great atmosphere.

... I will teach you, go to the crow´s nest, fetch some eggs for the captains breakfast ...

And here they they find themselves standing on the messenger, supposed to pull it clear the capstan on the outgoing side ...

Jack thinks ... Breakfast ?!? Eggs ?!? Can I have some too? ...

Ben thinks ... what massage was I supposed to get? ...

Phil thinks ... who is he talking too, this funny ol´man ...

800_victory-landlubber_2338.jpg

... I will take you apart and reassemble you for new, even your mother won´t recognise you any longer ...

... and with a loud SQUACH Jack finds himself taken to pieces, lying helplessly on the deck, having NDE-kind of visions just ... 

800_victory-landlubber_2339.jpg

... just to find himself pulled back together again pulling the messenger.

800_victory-landlubber_2340.jpg

... and I will fix your head ...

Phil feels a strange pain in the back ...

800_victory-landlubber_2342.jpg 

... how I will have a hold on you, ...

... his knees shaking, after a first cut his knees went straight, after the second, leaving a deep cut, thats allows the knees to be bent more with some loving and tender brutality ...

... but he still was happy, as he saw Ben´s fate ...

... I will teach you what it means to show balls ...

800_victory-landlubber_2349.jpg

... who, after a tender squeeze into the family jewels, opened his legs a tad more to have a better standing.

Already more willing to show working position ...

800_victory-landlubber_2352.jpg

... our three freshwater sailors reassemble themselves on the messenger, but the bosum´s mate only yells ...

... I ... WANNA ... SEE ... MORE  ... 

... with a friendly and sweet sounding whip of his starter accompanying each syllable.

So the back leg bent even more to put more grip onto the front one ...

800_victory-landlubber_2353.jpg

... and ... heave... heave ...heave ...

800_victory-landlubber_2358.jpg

... and an unnoticeable smile deep on the inside of the mate´s sinister soul comes from enjoying the effects of HIS successful work :-)

And how our three new-bees will become dirty, sweaty and stinking lowerdeck rats, this will be told in one of the future dafi´s sailor's yarn.

XXXDAn

As five hands sometimes are not enough for rigging, I build myself a small rigging bench.

800_Victory-Takelbank_2371.jpg

An inclined plane with a pin in the middle ...

800_Victory-Takelbank_2372.jpg 

... and two hairgrips on a holder. The holder can be fixed also pointing the other direction - or being left off - ...

800_Victory-Takelbank_2419.jpg

... and even tiny bits can be worked on with ease :-)

For serving small parts I included a hook on a thread. Turning the part in between the fingers, it is still nicely held under tension and does not wobble around  :-)

800_Victory-Takelbank_2383.jpg

These are the nice bits one can do with it ...

800_Victory-Takelbank_2414.jpg

... and even to be repeated precisely :-)

800_Victory-Takelbank_2458.jpg

Gruß, DAniel

Edited by dafi

Nurse! - Scalpel - wadding - death certificate ...

800_victory-stopper2_2504.jpg

... please put the patient up ...

800_victory-stopper2_2524.jpg

... adjust field of view ...

800_victory-stopper2_2525.jpg

... look for culprit ...

800_victory-stopper2_2490.jpg

... aaaaaaaaaand - CUT!!! ...

800_victory-stopper2_2492.jpg

Dear Sirs and Madam, we proudly present bitstopper version 2. 

The old one - not only looking more alike a blopp than a stopper - was a great security risk: only the thin lanyard was fixed on the anchor cable ...

... not very stable. The right way now seen means that the stopper is lashed directly onto the anchor cable, only the turks head looking out, the rest of the  lanyard being wormed along the cable and secured

800_victory-stopper2_2561.jpg

Looks more heavy duty now ...

800_victory-stopper2_2546.jpg

... also the bitstoppern ...

800_victory-stopper2_2570.jpg

... and the dogstopper.

800_victory-stopper2_2552.jpg

And so we get a nice new picture :-)

800_victory-stopper2_2607.jpg

Sincerily, Daniel

And it keeps hurting ...

... long time ago I proudly presented the pump ensemble ...

...  but now, suddenly something was missing on the lower deck ...

800_Victory-pumps_0001.jpg

...ouch...ouch...ouch...

800_Victory-pumps_0003.jpg

...?!?

Long time ago I realised a remark in Arming and Fitting that from about 1740 on, the ships were supplied with an extra set of pumps. First quests were begative, but then I discovered the described sets of pumps on almost all plans in the NMM, among them the plans of the Vic of 1788, showing the etxra pumps on the middle deck.

Here is a montage of the three decks of the pumps area

800_victory-planpur.jpg

One can nicely see the Layout: The single story pumps linked by the cistern, the double story pumps with a cistern each on the lower deck but not interconnected. But no technical details to be found.

The only place showing the details is Rob Napier´s book about the contemporary model of the HMS PRINCESS ROYAL 1773. 

The linkage in between the two stories was in form of a well, all the lower deck cisterns have adapters for dales and the cranks of the single story pumps protrudes through the well of the two story pumps.

Why this arrangement almost never is shown? The curse of the museums ship? 

So here we go adapting the pumps ...

800_Victory-pumps_2843.jpg

... a touch of color, a tad of highlights and ink ...

800_Victory-pumps_2847.jpg

...the clamps on the ships side for the dale´s round end pointing into the scupper, once open and once closed by a slider ...

800_Victory-pumps_2855.jpg

... maneuvered onto its place ...

800_Victory-pumps_2857.jpg

... and the pump ensemble shoved into its habitat too.

800_Victory-pumps_2859.jpg

Interesting is the way the dales go ...

800_Victory-pumps_2863.jpg

... being quite close to then guns.

800_Victory-pumps_2881.jpg

That is why I do have the side entry port, for the nice view, and yes, I know, if the dale is fixed, the slider should have been taken off ...

800_Victory-pumps_2876.jpg

And now we go on and have to fix some new cranks and drill some scuppers ...

800_Victory-pumps_2888.jpg

... so the thrill goes on :-)

Lieber Gruß, Daniel

Edited by dafi

...hihihihihi...

... and who did realise it? On the plan of the chain pump one can see little circles on the place the elm-tree pumps ought to be. And not just two - on the lower and upper gun deck - as shown in most models of three deckers and as to be found on the Vic in P. No there are 3 of them, see the blue circles.

800_Victory-NMM-pump-plan.jpg

And as the plan has other minor omissions in other areas, I took the liberty to lead one of the pumps to the upper deck, see the green circle. now all decks have fresh sea water :-)

So I prepared 3 pumps.

800_Victory-lot_2956.jpg

Almost like the Dalton-Brothers from Lucky luke, just that Emmett/Averell is out looking for food ...

... and as the Daltons´trademark are the holes from pistol shots everywhere, my one is holes on wrong places, as I used the metal handle for small drills. This one was too thick and  about 2 mm out of place, so reclose the hole and with Dr. dafis patented kebab-skewer-drill I was able too reach the furthest godforsaken area of the ship :-)

800_victory-pumpdrill_2969.jpg

XXXDAn

I think that by now is a commonly known fact, that I am infamous for trying to understand technical interconnections. I realised long ago the two stanchions situated behind the pumps´area, being that solid, good english oak and plenty of that.

Once I fixed the first dale, I immediately understood the height of the guide, to keep the dale free. But as I did not see the sense of the vertical roller, I took the chance to omit it as I thought it to be just for reduction of friction ...

... and as I did not want you to call me a rivet counter ...

... but!

... but by now, a learnt a little bit more about the messenger . yes, a little bit :-)

On the tension side the messenger comes from the main hatch - where the anchor cable is stowed - and passes the pumps´ area almost parallel to the ships axis, slowly raising to the above mentioned rollers on the stanchion, where it takes a turn down- and inwards towards the spill. Therefore the whole weight/force of the anchor pulling on the messenger is put onto this one stanchion. No wonder it is as thick as it is.

And for that the vertical roller is needed too, yes, the tiny one that little dafi wanted to embezzle ...

And another thing I realised ...

800_victory-elmtree_2971.jpg

... of course the pump and cistern are ought to be kept free too. So the cable has to be set more outside. As the rework was to great to be done ambulantly inside, one already guesses the ritual coming ...

800_victory-elmtree_2985.jpg

... with a friendly and nasty sound of a gentle crack, caused by the pleasant but nicely brutal push of a scalpel´s back the stanchions gave way for external treatment ...

800_victory-elmtree_2987.jpg

... the missing wheel including its bearing was fixed, as was the missing clamp (even though I still ignore its purpose, but one can never have enough clamps on a sailing ship) ...

800_victory-elmtree_2986.jpg

... and positive confirmation that the change of direction works fine :-)

Thrown back into the hull, but still just stuck in and therefore not aligned properly ...

800_victory-elmtree_2990.jpg

... one can see how tight it is ...

800_victory-elmtree_2991.jpg

... and above I gave the position of the upper deck beam using a kebab skewer ...

800_victory-elmtree_2998.jpg

... and ontop of this one missing the quarter deck. 

Deep down inside, the pump now is nicely kept clear ...

800_victory-elmtree_3006.jpg

... also nicely to be seen from above.

800_victory-elmtree_3013.jpg

Now the messenger can be unleashed :-)

Cheerio, DAniel

Aperitif

... so first a new messenger was done and there came the next question: which way was the messenger worked? Always from the bottom to the top or always clockwise because of the lay of the cable?

So Jack, Ben und Phil were pushed away from the old capstan, this one was made turnable, the messenger was wound 4 times round, some weight put onto the cables to simulate load and the capstan was worked. 

800_victory-Spindoc3.jpg

The frictional connection worked extremely well on the model, I did not manage to make it loose grip, neither with little or with heavy load. The pile of turns nicely slid upwards, giving space on the bottom. The other way round - cable coming in on the top and leaving on the bottom - did not work as expected. (picture still with an old cable-laid cable)

As the messenger is endless, it is linked by 2 eye splices with a lashing. Curious as I am, I wanted to see what happens if this big fat end comes to the capstan - it looks less dramatically than expected :-)

800_victory-spill_3262.jpg

And here comes the big topic, the side that runs back too the bows. On the Vic in P. it is shown on the floor, most models show the same. This for sure is the basic idea. But early in the research i found the drawing of 1815, showing hanging rollers.

800_Victory-LaveryCap_3594.jpg

Many contemporary drawings show cables lashed up to the ceiling, the AOTS of Bellona 1760 and Diana 1794 show the same system of rollers as seen on the drawing.

So great happiness as I found a uncommon feature to put to discussion.

First tests proved successful

800_victory-rollers_0694.jpg

*jumpingofjoy*

*runningbacktokitchen*

First Course

... and if you think things are now sorted, you could be wrong ...

... first a threat was streched to get an idea of the way the messenger takes. Bows rather easy, the capstan too, but the pump ensemble appeared intresting ...

800_Victory-messenger_3172.jpg

... if the messenger is on the floor, it is underneath the dales and could get stuck in the sharp corner of the stanchion, if it is put on the roller of the stanchion, it hangs in the front of the chain pumps´cisterns, if it is lead from the stanchion´s roller to a hanging roller it interferes with the elmtree pump. Only if it is guided by a roller abreast and aback the pumps it can move freely ...

800_Victory-messenger_3177.jpg

... what was to be proved easily by a test messenger. 

So distributed the hanging messengers by means of a tape on the stand and doing the count of the deckbeams ...

800_Victory-messenger_3240.jpg

... and drilling the holes ...

800_Victory-messenger_3181.jpg

... which resulted in another of my funny operations deep inside the intestines of my Vic.

Then taking out the thread, putting in the real messenger ...

800_Victory-messenger_3190.jpg

... adjusted the length, and taking out the whole thing again to build up the second eye spice ...

800_Victory-messenger_3245.jpg

... and putting everything in again, sometimes using the heavy duty special devices ...

800_Victory-messenger_3244.jpg

... just to end up with the fun and honnor to have to do the lashing all down in there :-)

800_Victory-messenger_3263.jpg

But sometimes two hair clamps work wonders :-)!

Afterwards Dr dafi still had to remove the stitches ...

800_Victory-messenger_3236.jpg

*andrunnighastilybacktothekitchen*

Second Course

Next curse is about the nippers ...

800_Victory-messenger_3504.jpg

... here shown the newer version, a long rope, that links the anchor cable with the messenger. The older version is shorter with a small plate on the end, but apparently more difficult to unlock.

The system is simple: 3 turns around the messenger, three around both cables, there around the anchor cable. There were more complicated versions, but I hope, this one will do. The ends are not knotted, so I believe the end was to be stretched by a hand. This is why my little shipyard worker was helping out - What a smart nipper he is :-)

And here are the details: The messenger is pulled on the starbord side and running back on larboard.

At the bows the messenger is running loosely around the rollers ...

800_Victory-messenger_3560.jpg

... and will be nipped straight after the manger. 

800_Victory-messenger_3550.jpg

Both cables run over the horizontal parts of the riding bits.

800_Victory-messenger_3547.jpg 

On larboard the eye splices are to be seen, then it goes just straight ...

800_Victory-messenger_3551.jpg

... before the nipping is taken off for the anchor cable to disappear in the orlop deck. The starboard cable is stored on the port side and vica versa for handling reasons.

800_Victory-messenger_3511.jpg

Of course the grating should still be taken down, but unfortunately it was glued in to professionally in my dim and distant past ...

The messenger still has to finish its turn round the pumps, on starboard over the stanchion´s roller ...

800_Victory-messenger_3558.jpg

... and finally running round the capstan to proceed bowwards.

800_Victory-messenger_3556.jpg

And if you have a close look, you will discover our mysterious Mr. Thor swinging his mighty hammer :-)

800_Victory-messenger_3397.jpg

His duty was to make shure, that the incoming cable does not jump over the turn lying above it. And we see Jack, Ben und Phil pulling free the outgoing cable.

Here a overview from the back, one can see the space above the elmtree pumps ...

800_Victory-messenger_3467.jpg

... also interesting the turns the cables take on the pulled side, both horizontally and vertically ...

800_Victory-messenger_3460.jpg

... and from the front.

800_Victory-messenger_3423.jpg

...hihihihihihi...

*runningbacktokitchen*

Second Course

Next curse is about the nippers ...

800_Victory-messenger_3504.jpg

... here shown the newer version, a long rope, that links the anchor cable with the messenger. The older version is shorter with a small plate on the end, but apparently more difficult to unlock.

The system is simple: 3 turns around the messenger, three around both cables, there around the anchor cable. There were more complicated versions, but I hope, this one will do. The ends are not knotted, so I believe the end was to be stretched by a hand. This is why my little shipyard worker was helping out - What a smart nipper he is :-)

And here are the details: The messenger is pulled on the starbord side and running back on larboard.

At the bows the messenger is running loosely around the rollers ...

800_Victory-messenger_3560.jpg

... and will be nipped straight after the manger. 

800_Victory-messenger_3550.jpg

Both cables run over the horizontal parts of the riding bits.

800_Victory-messenger_3547.jpg 

On larboard the eye splices are to be seen, then it goes just straight ...

800_Victory-messenger_3551.jpg

... before the nipping is taken off for the anchor cable to disappear in the orlop deck. The starboard cable is stored on the port side and vica versa for handling reasons.

800_Victory-messenger_3511.jpg

Of course the grating should still be taken down, but unfortunately it was glued in to professionally in my dim and distant past ...

The messenger still has to finish its turn round the pumps, on starboard over the stanchion´s roller ...

800_Victory-messenger_3558.jpg

... and finally running round the capstan to proceed bowwards.

800_Victory-messenger_3556.jpg

And if you have a close look, you will discover our mysterious Mr. Thor swinging his mighty hammer :-)

800_Victory-messenger_3397.jpg

His duty was to make shure, that the incoming cable does not jump over the turn lying above it. And we see Jack, Ben und Phil pulling free the outgoing cable.

Here a overview from the back, one can see the space above the elmtree pumps ...

800_Victory-messenger_3467.jpg

... also interesting the turns the cables take on the pulled side, both horizontally and vertically ...

800_Victory-messenger_3460.jpg

... and from the front.

800_Victory-messenger_3423.jpg

...hihihihihihi...

*runningbacktokitchen*

Third Course

To end something less heavy to digest, just some details ...

800_Victory-messenger_3322.jpg

800_Victory-messenger_3453.jpg

800_Victory-messenger_3476.jpg

800_Victory-messenger_3564.jpg

800_Victory-messenger_3433.jpg

800_Victory-messenger_3427.jpg

800_Victory-messenger_3358.jpg

800_Victory-messenger_3351.jpg

800_Victory-messenger_3195.jpg

800_Victory-messenger_3466.jpg

What a nice back ...

...hihihihihihi...

Dessert

And as icing on the cherry :-)

800_Victory-messenger_0755b.jpg

800_Victory-messenger_0757b.jpg

800_Victory-messenger_0771b.jpg

800_Victory-messenger_0720.jpg

800_Victory-messenger_0712.jpg

800_Victory-messenger_0746.jpg

800_Victory-messenger_0736.jpg

800_Victory-messenger_0747.jpg

I wish you a good night and a good digestion, also we hope you liked Mr Thor and his mighty hammer :-)

800_Victory-messenger_3474.jpg

Daniel

Question:

How can one manage to make the best of all wives get cold sweat, panic and feel big discomfort in just a second?

Very easy, just leave "by mistake" all three hulls lying on the table ;-)

800_Victory-triple_5065.jpg

But one has to admit: it´s looking great !!!

800_Victory-triple_5069.jpg

Greetings, Daniel

Edited by dafi

Wormsigns ...

800_Victory-dmt_3988.jpg

... here we go again. Where too? Next picture makes it clear :-)

800_victory-anchors_4103.jpg

Then dressing them nicely for sacrifice on an old Inca pyramid with several high steps and silicon over it.

800_Victory-Anchor_5058.jpg

Because of the steps, I do not need an extra fence for the casting, in goes a batten in the middle for the anchor shaft and the resin goes over it ...

800_victory-anchors_5075.jpg 

... and then cursing over ones own stupidity, too much resin and who wants to rework that abundance of material overflow?!?

So back to start, this time less resin and immediately one sheet into each half to press the excess material to the side ...

800_Victory-anchors_5076.jpg

... and parts were perfect to be taken out by the help of a cutter blade only :-)

Then took an evergreen batten, painted red and did the chamfer with sight control flight ...

800_Victory-anchors_3994.jpg

... which worked very easily. Then still the arms and throat glued in and positioned the points ...

800_Victory-anchors_3998.jpg

... as they were guide for thinning the arms. Still glued in the blades ...

800_Victory-anchors.jpg

... and a nice anchor comes out :-)

In brown the original Heller one, too round, a much later shape ... 

Then fenced a small playground, positioned the anchor on three needle tops in the right height ...

800_Victory-anchors_4099.jpg

... and filled with silicon. 

Then used the spay silicon and soaked the first half of the form and even put Vaseline into the corners for that the second half of the form does not form one solid block with the first half - guess how I found out ...

Then filled with resin ...

800_victory-anchors_5041.jpg

... and out came ...

800_victory-anchors_5072.jpg 

... lot of bubbles. Ok, mixed some drops of resin, put back the parts in the form, the resin onto the right places and closed the form - and magically the parts were repaired :-)

800_victory-anchors_5074.jpg

By now I learnsd the waffle-cooker method, by first putting the resin in both halves and wait until it starts getting thik and just then to close the form. Works wonders and much better results :-)

800_victory-anchors_5058.jpg 

Then cleaning up a little, painting, dry brushing and here we have a sweet little set of anchors. Looks like tailor made ;-)

800_Victory-anchors_5123.jpg

800_victory-anchors_5121.jpg  

On the last picture one can nicely see the gap in between the two halves of the stocks. By the conical form the stock rings can easily be pushed towards the middle, thus closing the gap and refastening the shaft :-)

Kenavo, Daniel

Yes B.E., the stream, the kedge and one for my little Mistery were still on the way and I took the chance to make a better documentation ...

First printing the plan in the right size, taking double sided Scotch tape to fix some Evergreen in the right position, and flood the joints with CA ...

800_victory-anchors_5142.jpg 

... took it out and glued the reverse too. As the arms grow thinner, I glued a thinner material on the tip as guide:

800_victory-anchors_5144.jpg

Then files carefully the whole area in between the shaft and the tip ...

800_victory-anchors_5145.jpg

... until the small step to the thinner tip disappeared. Then turned the anchor to do the other side, and as it was not lying flat any more I supported the hanging arm by some sheet. 

800_victory-anchors_5146.jpg

Here from a different perspective:

before ...

800_victory-anchors_5147.jpg

... and after.

800_victory-anchors_5148.jpg

Then for the bent of the arms I colored the surface with Edding ...

800_victory-anchors_5149.jpg

... and one can nicely see what is done and what still has to be done.

800_victory-anchors_5150.jpg

It helps to work on a thin Plexi, as one can use the sides as guide for the file.

800_victory-anchors_5151.jpg

Then comes the throat, the area in beween the shaft and the arms. At those days it was rather small, later versions of anchors accumulated much more material on this spot.

800_victory-anchors_5155.jpg

The filing itself is easy...

800_victory-anchors_5156.jpg

... just getting both sides equal is needs a careful approach.

800_victory-anchors_5157.jpg

Colored the shaft and the arms for the chamfers ...

800_victory-anchors_5162.jpg

... drilled the hole for the ring and most was done.

800_victory-anchors_5163.jpg

Used my small template to cut the palms ...

800_victory-anchors_5165.jpg

...glued in place, cut ...

800_victory-anchors_5166.jpg

... cleaned up and done :-)

800_victory-anchors_5169.jpg

And here the family shot with all the needed tools that were needed for conception.

All the best, Daniel

How did you lot always manage to make that nice anchor ring servings and seizings?

No gaps, nice color of the thin light line?!?

Took me ages to figure out ...

800_Victory-anchor_5184.jpg

I had to put a thin brown paper underneath the seizing for that the black did not shine through ...

800_Victory-anchor_5188.jpg

... on top the old odd version with gaps - the picture is better looking than the real thing for once! Right the paper and bottom the new seizing on top of it. Took me the same time to find out as to do another anchor ...

And then a test-hanging and yeah - it fits :-)

800_Victory-anchor_5189.jpg

*jumping of joy*

Greetings, Daniel

Of course, it had to come ...

... of course, I admit, I made it easier by using just one single strand to serve the anchor´s ring and not the multitude as in the original ...

... of course, this was already tricky enough to me ...

... of course, I had no idea how to do other wise ...

... and of course someone was moaning ...

... and of course, the challenge was accepted!

Once I used my thinking equipment ...

... and of course I used first 4 strands to serve ...

800_Victory-rings_5198.jpg

... but the difference was not to visible, so I tried 8 of them ...

800_Victory-rings_5199.jpg

... and of course looks much more authentic :-)

800_Victory-rings_5200.jpg

Then bent the served wire around a core ...

800_Victory-rings_5203.jpg

... and here we are, on the left side the new one :-)

800_Victory-rings_5211.jpg

...hihihihihihi...

Challenge won!!!

Of course the seizings are badly done as I did take the wrong rope and it was already late, but the next ones, just wait!!!

Mission accomplished :-)

And now to the other rings ...

... underneath the eyes as these things cost sleep ...

... of course ...

XXXDAn

tätä - tätä - tätä

... as does german carnival ...

And here comes some petitesse: the kedge on the mizzen channels ...

800_victory-anchors_5258.jpg

... with the foldable iron stock and locks ...

800_victory-anchors_5250.jpg

... and having a test placement - and shooed it to the back end for that the palms keep clear davids and boats.

Also found finally the guts to drill the holes for the dales of the chain pumps ...

800_victory-guns_5264.jpg

... with their strange places on top of the gunport and in the middle of the stairs.

tätä - tätä - tätä

And some more unsignificant things on a ship of this kind: first ten guns are permanetly fixed - I can hear Rob yelling of joy as he even gave up asking for it ;-)

First breechroped them, decided to opt for the controversial Goodwin setting, with S-laid rope and preventer brreching rope - just to keep the discussion going :-)

800_victory-guns_5218.jpg

Prepared outboard on the already shown template ...

800_victory-guns_5219.jpg

... and with a small cheat on the eye splice of the preventer breeching line ;-)

800_victory-guns_5224.jpg

Mise en place ...

800_victory-guns_5235.jpg

... and ...

800_victory-guns_0834.jpg

... enjoy!

800_victory-guns_0835.jpg

Happy carnival greetings ... 

tätä - tätä - tätä

Daniel

And here we are at the end of the small summary, we are up to date with some wonderful new things happening soon :-)

So just a small season greetings out off the kitchen, just a little bit of ship ...

800_Victory-view_5297.jpg

... but it is just a question of ones point of view :-)

800_Victory-view_5321.jpg

Greetings, Daniel

Today is a special day. Today three years ago I started my building report at Wettringers - this is where the madness really took off :-)

And to celebrate my little Vic got some small presents to get soon many more sisters :-)

That is why, a small and logic step for myself, but a leap for the heller-builders ...

etch_victory-stern_5406.jpg

So courageously cut the window bars with a sharp wire cutter ...

etch_victory-stern_3950.jpg

... clean with a scalpel ...

etch_victory-stern_3954.jpg

... do the touch ups with the file ...

etch_victory-stern_3959.jpg

... and fit in the etch parts.

etch_victory-stern_5399.jpg

Then scratch off the name cartouche ...

etch_victory-stern_5353.jpg

... take the template, mark the position ...

etch_victory-stern_5356.jpg

... and glue in the Letters :-)

Last put the 8 bolts. For not loosing the bolts - outside diamater 1 mm or larger at choice - I secured them with Sellotape. 

etch_victory-bolt_5405.jpg

Next step is easy and wont make you sweat after all this: Scratch down the old rigols and  ...

etch_victory-rigol_5415.jpg

... replace them by the new ones.

etch_victory-rigol_5422.jpg

...hihihihi...

Häppy anniversary,

XXXDAn

I've been following along silently since I joined the old website. Now I have to speak up. Not only is there one incredible Victory being built, but now you are starting on a second one. Your work has never been short of inspiring. This is simply incredible.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thank you Patrick :-)

And of course the parts I neede for the lower deck :-)

etch_victory-cipher_5368.jpg

Looks a bit like ticks ...

etch_victory-cipher_5330.jpg

... also one size for the 12 pounders :-)

etch_victory-cipher_5328.jpg

I blacken them before assembly, makes painting easier ...

etch_victory-cipher_5375.jpg

... place over a gap ...

etch_victory-cipher_5378.jpg

... and press them into a curve with something round.

etch_victory-cipher_5381.jpg

A small touch with the file to create space for the glue underneath ...

etch_victory-cipher_5382.jpg

... a drop of CA ...

etch_victory-cipher_5384.jpg#

... placed ...

etch_victory-cipher_5387.jpg

...colored ...

etch_victory-cipher_5389.jpg

... and brushed:-)

etch_victory-cipher_5395.jpg

The other 2757 part will be shown peu à peu containing everything a Heller heart desires ...

XXXDAn

PS: And me stupid did glue the first guns already in, forgetting about those ciphers ...

... now I can look how i fix that ... 

You're not like the 'standard builder', we all know that by now, but.....why start a second one?

and: will you finish the first, as soon as you have a second one that (undoubtedly) will be better than the first?

Jan

Edited by amateur

Do not worry Jan, this build here will have priority :-)

Some parts I need myself like the ciphers and the hammock cranes - not shown yet - and some parts go to a friend at Wettringer, who is desperately waiting for the parts. So these parts also can help others as they are not just for myself and will be available as soon as I checked them being correct :-)

And the there are still some nice ideas of mine towards the other hulls ...

;-)

DAniel

Edited by dafi

Daniel, you never cease to amaze me with the detail you put in.  I'll be watching again now build log 2.0 is back up and running.  Very impressive!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)