HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

It's worth remembering that nearly all the outer hull planking was replaced years ago. In some areas wood laminates were used to save money. It would seem a lot of the modern materials used during the previous (but modern) re-fit has already rotted and has been replaced again!

See thorough description of this previous work in Alan McGowan's book 'HMS Victory: Her Construction, Career, and Restoration'.

One important use (among many) was synthetic materials for the shrouds which aren't as thick as they should be (same book). The list is probably endless.

Thats why I like to call it an "Almost-Replica". And I do not mean it bad. The did a good job imho to keep this wonderful heritage alive, regarding the money and the existing knowledge about the times. And this knowledge was expanded a lot within the last years, thank god.

XXXDAn

I whole heartedly agree with you, Dafi. Now the weight on the keel has been relieved should help considerably (much like what was done with Cutty Sark). Considering Britain's notorious weather, it's remarkable how well Victory survives. Unfortunately, I've never managed a visit and deeply regret realising I never will. I was a big fan of the longridge model, but often wonder why he never did a set of boats. It would be interesting to know more of him.

• 4 weeks later...

Luckily @Morgan discovered a small detail in the large Turner painting: The anchor lining, almost hidden by the fallen fore sail.

Turner-from-morgan.jpeg

Looking at the Turner scribbles there is a line, that could be interpreted as the bolster for the lost lining.

Turner-scribble-from-Morgan.jpeg

Looking at the Queen Charlotte of the the same time, one could see how it should have looked.

Louterbourg-queen-Charlotte.jpg

First the frame was added ...

Victory-Anchor-lining-200905_2238.jpg

... then I realised that the lower batten should have been the bolster. Took one step that was left from the entry port and it fitted 🙂

Victory-Anchor-lining-200905_2241.jpg

Unfortunately it broke while fixing 😞

The replacement part was bent the wrong way, so I took the time for a cup of tea and did hang the part inside to make it flexible, bent it the right direction and let it cool down in its new shape.

Victory-Anchor-lining-200905_2242.jpg

After fixing it, I realised that it sat not properly ... 

Victory-Anchor-lining-200905_2243.jpg

... even the paint did not help.

Victory-Anchor-lining-200905_2244.jpg

So another disassembly took place ...

Victory-Anchor-lining-200906_9682.jpg

... and then it fitted 🙂

As the anchor lining was to protect the hull and the irons from the anchor, I wanted to show some scratches. First I took a spare anchor to simulate its way up ...

Victory-Anchor-lining-200906_9683.jpg

Victory-Anchor-lining-200906_9684.jpg

Victory-Anchor-lining-200906_9685.jpg

Victory-Anchor-lining-200906_9686.jpg

But how do those scratches look like? It was not a metal hull with clean rounded scratches, but I opted for some splinters on the edges of the planks and some flakes of paint coming off. The color I oppted for a warm siversih grey, like old exposed wood is showing.

Victory-Anchor-lining-200906_9687.jpg

Need some black ink to simulate depth.

Victory-Anchor-lining-200906_9689.jpg

After the lanyards was fixed ...

Victory-Anchor-lining-200906_9715.jpg

... things were done 🙂

Victory-Anchor-lining-200906_9716.jpg

Cheers, DAniel

Hi Daniel,

All looking good.

Some additional points to consider for the 1805 slice.  The bolster at this date was extended forward, see the blue highlighted area below.  This provided a small ledge for foot support when working the anchors, my sketch is conservative, they are often shown extending further forward.

An additional feature that is not commonly represented, but is intrinsic to the berthed-up forecastle barricades is that the gunwale above the foremost port was hinged such that it swing up and over to create easier access to the outside of the ship for those crew working the anchor, I've highlighted this in red below.  I've shown two samples taken from admiralty draughts for the Union / Boyne (which were based on the Victory 1803 configuration) and the later Nelson, they are not the best quality so perhaps you need to go to the NMM site for better copies. This is one of those things that just doesn't stand out on contemporary paintings or models due to scale, and you would need to know to look for it.  We don't know for certain if Victory had this feature, but given the Boyne / Union plans were taken from the Victory refit plans in 1801 and it is no commonly displayed then in my opinion there is every likelihood that Victory had this feature.

The sketch to the left is my draft capturing these features.

So are we going to see a 1805 slice with the crew working the anchors given this info??  I know you like to tinker and have a challenge.

Gary

100046590_BolsterandPortcill.jpg.b02b4628ace665ed3fb53ff71582d54e.jpg

Thank you Gary and druxey.

Very nice detail the small flap. Could it also be to protect the bar from the side effects of the shot? Often the ports for the carronades were higher in size for that reason.

Also I realised the bolster being extended forward. My interpretation was - as I realisd it mostely underneath gunports - that it would perhaps allow an temporary extension for the board. The step is a great explanation too. I do not think this was for sounding the lead I know it being done out of the channels or another small platform amidship. There too the breaststrap could be fixed more easily that allowed the men to lean against and have the hands free.

Victory-140830_5696.jpg

Difficult to be seen, but the strap is there 🙂

XXXDAn

Victory-140630_4582.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Its always great to have friends that keep an open eye and give valuable hints. Special thanks go to @Morgan who helped me so much already and here came his updates. The bolster of the anchor lining was to be extended more to the front. Possibly to have the possibility for someone to stand there if the catting needed an action from there. And the small flap on top of the carronade. Most carronades had ports that were higher than the normal ones. As the solid bulwark was not high enough that was an easy way to protect the wood. Thank you tons Gary!

Morgan-Gary_Flap.jpg

So the bolster needed a good base to adjust the height ...

Victory_Forcastle_200918_0474.jpg

... and the extension was fitted.

Victory_Forcastle_200918_0476.jpg

With a lil´bit of color it looks like it was already always there.

Victory_Forcastle_200918_0498.jpg

And the flap was an easy Task to be fittet 🙂

Victory_Forcastle_200918_0497.jpg

And then we took the chance to go and see some modeler mates ...

Victory_Forcastle_200918_0500.jpg

All the best, DAniel

For some reasons the pictures do not show ...

😩  😩  😩 

[ edit: pictures rescued 🙂 ]

Absolutely amazing work, these last few days I've been going through eacht page of this log. Could I ask what your approach is to painting. I love your colors. I've been scouring many a build log and I think many get the ochre color wrong. Yours seems just right though. Additionally your weathering is also just right, not too much, not too little.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the nice comments and likes!

Final spurt:

Marines approx 1770 onwards

Victory-Crew_201030_4748.jpg

Victory-Crew_201030_4745.jpg

Marines approx 1800 onwards

Victory-Crew_201030_4749.jpg 

Victory-Crew_201030_4749.jpg

Royal Navy Offizier approx 1910 with his Agfa-box-camera ...

Victory-Crew_201030_4759.jpg

Victory-Crew_201030_4761.jpg

Agfa_Box_BW_1.jpg

... and two sailors.

Victory-Crew_201030_4768.jpg 

Victory-Crew_201030_4769.jpg

Edited by dafi

As I am a very shy and ´umble person,  I forgot to present myself 😉

So I looked for a template ...

https://www.mediaharmonists.de/bilder/Sammler33/Utrecht-170527_3805-(1).jpgUtrecht-170527_3805-(1).jpg

... carved a tiny bit ...

https://www.mediaharmonists.de/bilder/Sammler33/IMG_1141-(1).jpgIMG_1141-(1).jpg

... and here it is the small minni-me 🙂

IMG_1146-(1).jpg

https://www.mediaharmonists.de/bilder/Sammler33/IMG_1147-(1).jpgIMG_1147-(1).jpg

https://www.mediaharmonists.de/bilder/Sammler33/IMG_1149-(1).jpgIMG_1149-(1).jpg

Even with my silver medal present 😉

Edited by dafi