Willie L Bennett by rcmdrvr - FINISHED - Model Shipways - SMALL

This is a nice project. I would like to tag along, if thats ok.

I've never tried the magic marker, or pencil trick, but rather glue thin brown paper to a long and short edge of the planking, in batches, first. It's a small matter. The fine, discolored dust would fill in the small pores when sanded with a finer grit than the unprepped stock came as. It probably wouldn't be so noteworthy if you fine sanded the planks, first, a bit.

My scrapers are some of my most valued and used tools, however. They save so much time, effort and sand paper. There are many sizes, shapes and guages to choose from, if you were interested in the method. You can always change the texture with a single grit of paper, if you wanted a different feel, afterward.

On small or projects with relief, the old standard "Red Devil", one inch, scraper has a 3/8ths, 16 guage blade that can be shaped and/ or sharpened, with a simple file, for miles of use and is a good choice to begin with. It's also cheap and easy to find in a hardware store.

With a little pracrice, for angle and control, I think they are worth the effort. I do like the ruler edge idea, never tried that, but I'd most likely sharpen it, from habbit.

You have a very nice start and I hope you are pleased with your progress.

Regards,

Steve

Shoule (and the others), please follow along.  I am new to this hobby and this is a learning adventure.  Please feel free to jump in at any time with your hints and ideas.  The whole scraping process was totally new to me.  I quickly saw that this process is good to know.  Thanks for the suggestions.

I completed the decking and I am now working on some of the deck structures.  Will post some pictures soon.

Completed Builds:  USS Cairo by BlueJacket;  Nave Egizia by Amati;  Harriet Lane by Model Shipways

Nice cabin.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

While I ran into a rough section over the past week or so.  I began working on some of the brass fixtures which require soldering.  Found out I don't solder well.  I ruined a lot of brass pieces.  Finally found a jewelry making site with lots of learn to solder videos.  Found out I was doing it all wrong.  Went out and bought a pencil torch and started practicing.  I was doing two things wrong.  First, I did not "clamp" the pieces being solder together .  Solder doesn't fill gaps well.  Second, I was using too much solder.  I have a long way to go but feel I got over a hump.  This is my solder station.  You can see how I am using pins to hold pieces together.  Finally, the two oyster drags I worked on over the weekend.

post-13869-0-26521100-1410186419_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-21664900-1410186427_thumb.jpg

Completed Builds:  USS Cairo by BlueJacket;  Nave Egizia by Amati;  Harriet Lane by Model Shipways

The dredge frames look good. When soldering stuff like this, I always try to over bend the pieces so I can spring them back and they hold against each other. That provides the contact for hard soldering, provided of course, the mating areas are flat to each other. Yours came out quite well. Nice job on that and the paint job.

Russ

I completed most of the cabin work.  I let the paint dry for a couple of days so it could be easily handled.  Since the deck is slightly curved, I placed sandpaper on the deck and "sanded" the bottom of each cabin or piece of furniture before gluing to the deck.  This worked well.

If you look at the first photo you can see that I have carved my bow spirit and I am now working on mounting it.  Interesting process to go from square at one end of the bow spirit to round at the other end.  Once it is mounted, I have more metal work to perform.

You can say one thing about this hobby, you sure get to work with a lot of different materials and learn a lot of new processes.

post-13869-0-17911200-1410530446_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-77161400-1410530455_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-54212600-1410530466_thumb.jpg

I will have to admit that when I selected this model I had no idea what I was getting into.  I thought it was principally a woodworking project.  Now I see it involves so much more.  I am happy I made the selection.  While sometimes frustrating.....I am really enjoying the process.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not posted for a while but I have been working.  I constructed the railing around the hull.  That was more of a task that I expected, but I am reasonably satisfied with the results.  I also put in time making lots of little fittings.  The fittings for the bow spirit a real challenge.   Plenty of little tiny pieces of brass hit the workshop floor as I screwed up several versions before I made acceptable pieces.  Same can be said for the pumps.  I am getting practice on my brass and solder skills.....which did not exist several weeks ago.  I kind of like the looks of my fresh water barrel.  Finally, I tapered the main mast and have it positioned in the hull.  It has not been permanently attached.  I guess the next project will be the push boat and fittings.

post-13869-0-34608600-1411396490_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-97584600-1411396505_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-50652900-1411396516_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-34822100-1411396532_thumb.jpg

The model looks very good so far. Your fittings look just fine. The water barrel and the bands on the bowsprit look especially good. Great work.

Russ

good job on the rail.  They're not easy.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

The push boat looks very good so far. That looks like a fun build all by itself.

Russ

Well just about complete with the push boat.  I still have to install the screw.  I also worked on the deck equipment used to hoist the push boat but that work is not ready for prime time.

post-13869-0-92633600-1412001559_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-90052300-1412001570_thumb.jpg

Very nice push boat.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...