18' Cutter by Maurys - Scale 1:48 SMALL

Thanks Druxey.  The overlaps are sanded.  I clean off the glue that seeps out as I attach the plank, but I have no idea how the underside looks.  David, the boat will be left natural.  First full strakes above the garboard are installed.  Some slight trimming needed on the butt joint of the last plank  (visible on the left) and after smoothing it will still be under the overlap of the next plank.  I'm using the scored lines in the starboard side of the plug as a planking guide, and using tick strips I mark the same distance from the keel on the port side at each rib.   So far, the spiling of the planks has matched one side to the other.

Maury

post-923-0-68608000-1408285906_thumb.jpg

Looks very nice.  I had some glue seepage on the interior but was able to remove it with scalpel blades and sanding sticks.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Thanks for all the likes and comments.  The underside has some glue seepage, but I'm reasonably sure I can get it off.  Fore end of the fourth strake is in place.  Aft end fits over the transom, so this first plank is going to be a challenge getting it around the sternpost without leaving a gap.  A bit of beveling and a notch should make it work.  So far, all planks seem even from side to side, top and fore-aft.  Pleasing run from all views.

Maury

post-923-0-36578200-1408650947_thumb.jpg

Actually, you should be able to remove the shell from the plug at any point in planking. It's amazing how it keeps its shape without distorting if you've spiled the planks properly. Looks great so far!

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Beautiful planking Maury.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Druxey, Thanks.  I took it off the plug to re-glue the transom and was shocked at how much glue seepage there was.  I apply glue very sparingly with the tip of a pin, but I've been assured that it can be sanded and scraped off.  The shell was very stable at that point.  Once I get a plank attached to the transom, it will be quite strong.  All that time spiling on previous models is paying off.

Maury

I found that excess glue was best removed after the frames were in. A fine-tipped brush and isopropanol (a small section at a time) softened any excess glue, and then a miniature chisel tip could scrape off the gummy remnants nicely. Time consuming? Yes, but the result was satisfying.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Druxey, Thanks so much.  That's a great suggestion.  The first plank resting on the transom is in and it came out well.

post-923-0-56700200-1408742219_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

The small cutter is a fill-in project when I can't work on the Echo Section or now Chuck's Cheerful.  Every once in a while I'll add another strake of planking.  The dip in the last strake will disappear when the next plank goes on. The next few planks will be critical.

Maury

post-923-0-18469200-1424188137_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-69366300-1424188160_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-67296800-1424188173_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I usually work on this when I'm away from my power tools.  More progress on planking.  I've run into a slight conflict with the instructions, but it will work out fine regardless.   I've got to the top plank as lined out on the plug (one side of the plug has slight indentations showing the planks...which I transfer to the other side as I move along).  That strake seems to be described in the instructions as the shear, and the gunwale will go on top of that.  Other drawings seem to indicate that is the washboard which sits atop the gunwale.  I can remove the fore part of the strake and install the gunwale or put the gunwale on top of this strake and not put a washboard on the boat.  They were removable anyhow and I like the lines without the extra height.  I have to make some adjustments in affixing the aft portion of the strake to the transom.  It's a great little project that I may repeat since the cutter is a nice accessory to any ship of that era.

Maury

post-923-0-74942600-1434723325_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-80859900-1434723370_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-46161700-1434723391_thumb.jpg

Druxey, Thanks, I've removed the top strake and will install the gunwale.  Then I'll decide on the washboards.

Maury