GUNBOAT PHILADELPHIA by Steve.Y - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Steve,

That looks good.  Did you use pencil for the 'tween plank caulking?

I am running a bit behind.  As I think I previously mentioned, I believe the bulkhead at the back of the forward platform (in this case, frame 12) was not solid...but in fact open to permit crawlspace type access.  I am having some setbacks.  :-(  I hope to have some pics by tonight.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Hi Steve

I finished my build months ago. Our building group at our now closed hobby shop built the Philadelphia as the thrid group build. I bought hte two books on the Philadelphia,one had the Smithsonian prints in it. I put all of the nails in my model. There are over 2,500 .025 square nails in my hull. I drilled all of the holes first with a .022 dia. drill. Then I opened the round hole with a .028 square pin. I then put in .025 square white Evergreen styrene plastic into each hole. I used Titebond to hold them in. When I put them in,I left them about 1/16" aboue the serface of the planks.

I then cut them down so that they were about .025 above the surface. After staining the hull in it's first coat,I then sanded them down to where they are .015-.010 above the surface. After the rest of the hull and decks were finished,I then using a steel colored Gundamn paint pen-painted each of the "nails"

It looks great,you can then use more stain to highlight there the nails are,and how the wood ould discolor around each one.

I used the pans from the Smithsonian to change the details on the boat from the kit's to represent a true scale model of the Philadelphia. I also used .032 red oak veneer with a .o32 basswood as backing for the oak planks on the hull and deck. All this took about 8 months of steady work. I also added grain deatil to the basswood that I used,so that it looks like oak.

As for the hull planks,I first made the planks to fit the hull in the .032 basswood,then I would glue the oak veneer to the plank,while it was flat and sandwiched between two steel rulers with clamps,to keep it from warping while drying. Then I would trim the oversized oak veneer to the plank outline and fasten it to the hull frames.

Keith

Keith,.

Do you have any pictures? I am intrigued.  Start a build log and post some.  I know that you are already complete, but this will allow you to post your pics without using somebody else's log.

Which 2 books?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Next time around...when you scratch build it.  :rolleyes: 

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I better shadow what you are doing more! I caught myself yesterday thinking about the cockpit planking while I was at a recording session actually performing. I had to share and everyone had a good laugh! Actually a few of the musicians are very intrigued about my Philly project.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mark,

I would not recommend workin gon th einner planking first.  The plans are a bit jumbled, but it sets the planking in to three sections; Top three strakes of the outer planking, inner planking, remainder of the outer planking.  The instructions don't explain why it is this way, but I ended up doing it that way when I scratch built with out the benefits of instructions, so there must be a reason.

For me, I found that laying the first three outer planks helps make th emodel more stable and less prone to snapping things off, while shifting to inner gave me access to the inner planks from both sides.  I don't remember why that was important.  Kurt Van Dahm says to add a block up in the bow to help support the inner planking.  Otherwise it has a very small point of attachment to the stem and may break off.  That block is attached to the outer planking.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I was unable to access Keith's/Bear's pictures.  Has anyone had success?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bart.  Try as I might; Bing or Google, "Wooden Ship Class" or "woodenshipclass" or "woodenshipclass.blogspot", I am unable to find that on my own. 

I will take a gander tonight.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Inner planking, of course.  Looking good.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Happy New Year! It has been a while, so here are a few pics of progress. I did not like the brass rings for the hawse hole flanges, so rummaging through my drum parts box I found some small grommets that almost fit exact.. I like the look better. I also stained the knees for contrast.

post-13761-0-60934800-1420156887_thumb.jpg

post-13761-0-25718200-1420156888_thumb.jpg

post-13761-0-31207700-1420156889_thumb.jpg

Lookin'good.  I am about to post some myself, but I am not as far along as you.

I don't see the grommet on the inside.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Hey Chuck, some of those pics were pre-grommet. Here's one with it. It was funny, I opened a tool box organizer that I keep drum parts in, and 4

of these grommets were sitting right there. I don't even know where or what they were from..

post-13761-0-94098300-1420264630_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steve.Y

Steve,

Being a former drummer I understand the collection of "odd" things we can have laying around.

That's a nice use of the grommets.

Are you going to do some fills where the small grooves are in the grommets?

Ha, :D, fills and grooves two terms used in music as well...... :) :)

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

What next?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I'm not sure what the instructions say.  They look white on the SMITHSONIAN model.

post-1153-0-27368600-1420625791_thumb.jpg

....so that's how I made mine.  I used styrene tube.

post-1153-0-78372300-1420625791_thumb.jpg

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild