GUNBOAT PHILADELPHIA by Steve.Y - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Oh!  Eyebolts, not grommets.  Yes.  Some people paint.  I used "Blacken it", which takes more effort, but I think the result is better.  <it's late.......>

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 3 weeks later...

What,no pics?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Here are the 9-pounders:

post-17589-0-19021100-1422445634_thumb.jpg

I still have to add the 'jewelry', eyebolts and ringbolts and retainer chain.  I'm not sure the sizes laid out by the kit are correct, they seem a bit thin.

Joel Sanborn

Are those iron parts painted? That's a nice faded/bleached out black.

Paint, Floquil Engine Black.  I didn't do a color correction and my camera turns it blue-ish.  It's a dark, dark gray.  I'm not sure on the availabilty since it's lacquer, spelled stinky and poisonous for children.

Joel Sanborn

Tiny pic just for color:

post-17589-0-73475000-1422492467.jpg

Floquil paints have been discontinued by Testor's - the owner of Floquil.  There may be some floating around on eBay or a hobby shop shelf but I seriously doubt that Engine Black would be one of the colors still not gobbled up.  I know one modeler who's bought 27 or so bottles of a specific Floquil clear finish - off eBay.

The attached photo is the 12 pound gun painted with Badger Modelflex Marine Color Wrought Iron Black (#16-413) an acrylic paint.  It is the same color as Badger's Dirty Engine Black  (#16-05).  This is a somewhat weathered Engine and/or Hull Black which are both dead flat black and look way too stark on guns.

Kurt

post-177-0-09713300-1422492877_thumb.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Testor's Model Master paints carry Engine Black and Grimy Black, in enamel and acrylic. Vallejo acrylic shows theirs as 70.924 #94 Russian Uniform WW2. Good to see the Badger equivalent colors. Thanks, Kurt.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Steve:

I started to use Blacken It but had very poor results.  I got a bad batch of Blacken It - I have used it many times and while I use Birchwood Casey Brass Black for brass because I like it better than Blacken it for brass, the Birchwood Casey stuff doesn't work for pewter.  So, I ordered some Blacken It and when it arrived I used it on the guns - with nothing to show for the waster $, time and effort.  Must have been old or frozen at some point or something because it did not work - period.

As I had a magazine deadline to meet, the airbrush was used.  I like the results using the airbrush and have shown the guns at club meetings and guys asked what I used to blacken the guns.  They couldn't tell the difference - the Badger paints use very finely ground pigments and cover well with a very thin covering. 

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Kurt, I was at those meetings when you showed those cannons.  I thought they were blackened not painted.  Badger is good stuff,

David B

Down 4 points, ball on the 1 yard line, 3 downs, 40 seconds 2 times outs and one of the best ball carriers in the game.  What could go wrong?  DOH!

post-1153-0-21353400-1422858430.jpg

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Chuck, you forgot the subsequent encroachment penalty which gave the Pats room to take a knee twice.  Insult to injury, and all self-inflicted.

Suggestions for the cannonballs to use on racks? size?

Nine-pounders 4 inch dia. and 12 pounders just shy of 4 1/2 inches.

Joel Sanborn

The balls on the forward rack would have been the 12 pounders (3/16").   Steel ball bearings.  Amazon has 144 for about $5.  The 9 pounders would be about 5/32"  about the same price.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

That's looking really good!! 

Wait 'til you start securing all the lines and bolts and stuff up at the pointy end.  Hopefully it will be easier with the larger size.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Can you remove the gun or is it attached permanently?  I think it is easier to rig the carriage, get it into position, then remount the gun.  IIRC, I rigged the running tackle with the gun extended, anchored one of the breeching line eyebolts (with line attached), THEN hauled the carriage into place.  As I said, it may be easier with the larger scale.

New project:  Colonial sloop PROVIDENCE.

post-1153-0-61847600-1425021661_thumb.jpg

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Not yet.  I am still trying to fabricate the bulkheads.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild