GUNBOAT PHILADELPHIA by Steve.Y - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Thanks guys.. And thank you Kurt! I received rigging rope, 5mm hooks and the block kit from Syren today. Kurt, you were not kidding about how outstanding the rope is. It is superb! and it is easier for me to work with. The blocks and hooks look great too! And the customer service at Syren is the best! I even started some rigging tonite. Anyway thanks for all your help!

Steve,

That stove looks great!!!!

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Have you been practicing your rope coils?

One thing you will have to think about is at some point you will be building the canopy.  Make sure your blocks, etc are either above or below the canopy line (as appropriate).

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Now that is a true brickstove, you better get the pig roasting as well.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

You'll be scratch building next.

post-1153-0-08515600-1441325395.jpg

Galley WASHINGTON is calling.  <Steve...BUILD ME!!!, Build me!!!!>

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

When you say 'spar' do you mean 'yard'?  I am looking at my PHILLY 1 right now and I cannot tell if the lifts for the upper yard are smaller than the lower.  It appears so, but I need to wait until I check the plans to be sure. 

HOWEVER..... I would recommend you move the blocks for the upper lift lines further up the mast.  From what I recall from the plans (and what I see from PHILLY 1) these blocks were too close to the yard.  The whole set up didn't look right and in my opinion (as well as others) would not have allowed for proper lift of the yard.  I think it should be 3/4" to an inch above where the yard is.  Again, I will check my plans when I get home.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Chuck. Yes the yard.. (terminology challenged). Also, in the manual it says to pin the yards to the mast. Is this a permanent pin? I wouldn't think one would actually glue the yard to the mast. I am a bit cautious as the plans seem to assume one has experience with rigging. Anyway thanks!

Steve 

Steve:

Yep, they are referring to a permanent pin.  The yard isn't all that heavy and pinning it to the mast allows the lifting rigging to be tightened so that it looks like the weight of the yard is pulling down against the rigging.  A pin isn't seen and is easy to undo if needed - unlike glue.  You can rely on the other rigging lines for downward pull w/o pinning.  The nice thing is that you can check how you like it w/o the pin as long as you don't secure the control lines (as it tells you not to do until after the awning structure is complete) and if you are happy - fine.  If not then you can pin the yards to the mast.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Steve,

I would say the lift lines for the upper yard is smaller than the lower yard.  This is based on the fact that the associated blocks for the lower yard is 7mm while the upper yard is only 5mm.

I pegged my yards into place using small wooden (bamboo) pegs, about 1mm in diameter.  Since your model is twice as big, you have a bit more leeway. 

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I agree with Chuck's opinion on the line size - the blocks are smaller.  I am sure I used the thinner line on the upper spar.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Hi Steve, I sumwhat have finished my Model Shipway's Philadelphia a couple of months ago. Lots of fun to build, Its also a good build to get into rigging as its pretty simple. I didn't like the cleats in the kit (way to modern) so I replaced them with home made wood cleats as were on the real boat. All I have to do now is find a 3 inch high figure to add a bit of scale, and of course a display case.-----------------good luck on your build

Check a model railroad shop that stock garden railway items. They may have people in 1/24 scale. The garden RRs are anything from 1/32 to 1/20 scale cars & locos. They use the same track gauge. Very confusing to us more conventional model railroaders. :)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

I'm not sure I understand the question.  From your picture in post 235 it looks like your shrouds are already attached.

The model is looking great!!!  Next step....the awning assembly.  Remember, it's not symmetric.  It looks kind of cock-eyed...but that's what happens when army guys build boats...er, ahh...I mean....

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild