Battens lay naturally, but wait'll you see this!

What the heck am I doing wrong here? Those battens lay as naturally as can be!

I'm happy with the battens aft.

And yes, I know I have some fairing to do. That's as far as I got in fairing when I said ??? Some of that is shadow (the BHD's are actually white) and too much is me.

post-10291-0-96964300-1407871857_thumb.jpeg

post-10291-0-64217800-1407871870_thumb.jpg

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Your battens should lie naturally but that is not an iron rule.  It gives you a base line to start.  The end result should also look pleasing to the eye as well.  This will help to insure that your planking is running true.  That one batten should be repositioned in the bow to even things out. 

If you have 5 strakes at the mid section then you want 5 planks at the bow.  Especially on the first run.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Please read the various tutorials on planking on this site.(That's why they are there for you!) They will answer most, if not all, of your questions. In addition to the second batten near the bow, the lowest one should not rise as far as you have it at present. The garboard plank should not rise up the bow. 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Here is a hint on how the battens might ought to run. This is the best I can do given the photograph angle etc.

Russ

planking runs.pdf

Druxey's advice is spot on.  Go through the tutoriols.  Plus what model are you working on.  This would also help in that there might be a build log of it.  And if there is go through it.

David B

It's your avatar.

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

I like this a lot better. Some kinda optical illusion at play aft... They're nice too. *I* think!

post-10291-0-29003500-1408154205_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

That looks better. You want the strakes to run along the curve created by the wales. That means that you do not want to have the planks at the bow sweeping upward too much. What you have seem to be better.

Russ

Shouldn't you wait until the garboard strake is in before you insert your battens?

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I think that is a matter of personal taste. The run of the planks is guided by the wales and he can start with the upper belt or the lower belt. I would do the upper belt first, but that is just one way to do it.

Russ

That's true, but the area to be planked is defined by the wales on top and garboard strake on bottom, not keel.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Chuck:

I have not heard it put that way, but as I said, it is an individual thing. I have never put the garboard on first. It all depends on what you are used to doing and comfortable with. I plank the upper belt, then do the lower belt and finish in the middle. Some like to go from the wales down or from the garboard up. So long as you can make sure that the garboard does not creep upwards too much along the stem rabbet, it makes planking the rest of that area a lot easier.

Russ

Yeah,  I have had problems with the stem creep.  I learned alot from BobF's Longboat build.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Sorry if my terminology is incorrect, I have to google and write down what's port and what's starboard. BAD memory combined with lack of experience.

At any rate, I'm starting at what I call the "top", just below the gun ports and sweeps, and working towards the keel. The plans absolutely do NOT match the measurements described. I'm planning to use the garboard plank to either take up slack, or make room for my - I assume - many mistakes.

Since I just bought one of those temper-pedic memory foam mattresses for my wife, I'm hoping many of my mistakes this year will be forgiven. Like spending so much time here in the man cave on the computer and my ship:)

In Dry Dock:

Port is on the left looking towards the bow, and starboard is on the right looking towards the bow. A simple trick is "port is spelled with 4 letters and left is spelled with 4 letters" that trick always help me when I work at the shipyard. Now looking towards the aft it is the other way around.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Actually I also had some trouble with port and starboard, simply because in my own language we use the French terms (babord and tribord).

However some time ago I learned the English terms come from Viking times: "starboard" is in fact the "Steering-board" as the Viking ships were always steered with an steering oar put on the right side of the ship.

So if they had the steering oar always on the right, they landed always with the left side on the quay, so this was the "port" (harbour) side. As simple as "bonjour" (which is "Good day" in French).

And, by the way, the story goes that "babord" and "tribord" comes from mid 19th century when the French had several floating batteries used as depot ships. Each battery had the name "BATTERIE" and the number below, written with big white letters going all over on the round stern. So if you were looking from the left side, you would see "BA.... ". If you were looking from the right side, you would see "....TERIE". So this is from where they got the names "BA-bord" and "TERIE-bord" :)

As with your strakes, you should start with the first under the wales put parallel to it, then go down and taper the strake at the stem and at the stern as you see it necessary. Keep in mind that with the real thing they did never have straight long planks the size of the whole ship. Instead they used several shorter planks put in line for every strake, and as need arose, these planks were curved to make the proper round of the bow. Good luck with your planking!

Ahoy JB  :D 

I am no pro but I did have a similar issue. It took me quite a few hours to get this right. I think it ran into weeks. 

I made some templates and checked my work, You can use the bass wood that the bulkheads came from or if your plans show the bulkheads, use them to make cardboard templates.  I also downloaded some manuals from the Model Expo site for solid hull kits which rely heavily on using templates. 

If you have over sanded this is very easy to correct. 

I would also suggest using thinner battens. 1/32 x 3/32 basswood bends much easier and does not need to be soaked like the planking will. 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Is there any " port wine left "

LOL! That'll stick with me. Is there a part of the ship I could use a Mloody Mary to make easier? So far they're making things difficult.

In Dry Dock:

or if your plans show the bulkheads, use them to make cardboard templates.

JPett, I'm not clear on what you're talking about. I now satisfied with my faring job, you're right, sanding too much seems to be no problem. A small dose of wood filler and problem solved. I'm ready to start planking now. Here's what I'm doing. BHD H is the widest part of the ship and BHD is the stem. The wale to the 1st batten is .75", while it's .58 at the stem. Difference of .17. I divided that by the 8 BHD's and come up with an average reduction between BHD's needs to be .021. Or am I shooting, smoking or snorting?

In Dry Dock:

Ahoy JB :D 

I hope you don't mind me addressing you as JB. 

I can not see any laser burn on the edges of your bulkheads. I was just suggesting that before committing to planking you check the shape of your bulkheads and make sure you have not changed them. It is simple to do and can save you a lot of aggravation 

Are you measuring for the plank widths 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Are you measuring for the plank widths

I've laid the planks down on every part of that ship. Far as I can tell there'll be no dips or bumps. I did sand too far a number of times, but wood filler is getting to be my friend.

And speaking of measuring planks, that's what brings me here today. The width of these planks are varying from .098 to .104. Supposed to be 3/32, but they're closer to 7/64. Nothing else in the kit that comes closer unless I go to a greater thickness. I imagine I'd do more damage than good trying to adjust it. I'm trying to select planks that are around .101 and that seems to be the average.

Anyway, reason I'm here this time... I need to reduce 3/32" planks to half that over a 6" length. I seriously don't want to sand that. I tried pinching the planks between 2 pcs of wood and clamping it in my vice... My belly chance of that!

In Dry Dock:

If you have a small table saw this would be fairly easy.  I own both a Preac and a Byrnes.  If not what I used to do to keep my fingers from getting cut was to make a fixture using the back of a hacksaw blade  or you can use a straight edge.  The plank would be clamped under the blade. I would then take an xacto knife or a fine toothed razor saw and trim the edge off.

David B

Ahoy JB :D

Here is what I used 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/45-rattlesnake-by-jpett-model-shipways-ms2028-scale-164th/?p=5884

The third image shows my "plank cutting tool" 

Its made from some electrical hanging brackets I found @ Home Depot. Cost with the hardware was around 3 bucks 

As for your planking measurements I tried that way and wish you luck. What ended up working for me was this 

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Framing_and_Planking/Lining%20Off%20your%20hull%20for%20planking.pdf

I used battens instead of the string but the using the little strips of paper and marking off the planks on the hull worked for me. Its tedious and slow but you'll make up the time when you plank. Beer and Netflix is how I got through it. 

Good luck :)

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

JPett, nice looking project. And I like the planking pdf, thanks a bunch. I wonder how a chalk like would work to mark each band.

dgbot. Can you show me a pic of that? I can't imagine how to clamp a 3/32" plank to a straight edge. Especially if one end is to have only 3/64" held down. Again, my lack of experience rears my sexy head. I want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Clamping in place would indeed be ideal, because I surely can't hold it in place myself.

But I tried. And I always get the bump you see in the 2nd pic because it always moves.

post-10291-0-06628400-1408409050_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-37913200-1408409051_thumb.jpg

Edited by JustBlowinInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

Since I am not in my workshop I cannot give you a picture.  Basically I took a flat piece of die board from work and put a ledge on it with a stop on one end.  The ledge is just a shade thicker than the plank.  I would put the plank agianst the ledge and the stop.  I would then put a straight edge over that and clamp it down.

post-227-0-43622900-1408416749_thumb.jpg

The straight edge was clamped down using wing nuts.  The drawing above gives you an idea of how I did it.  Kind of a pain but it did a lot of work at one time.  I do not even remember if I still have it.

David B

Hmm... I think I get it. I'll do some playing around, thanks.

In Dry Dock: