sonicmcdude

Sonic's TRITON POB 1:72 first build

Thank you Clonmelboy and 42rocker for your kind comments! And yes Clonmelboy you should start the Triton build is one of the best for first build. 42rocker  I will need more then luck because is my first build and I'm learning as I go :rolleyes:

Very nice start, the keel and stem look very nice (crisp and clean)

Looking forward to more :)

Ahoy, Sinan :D

Very impressive first build

Looking forward to your next post

Hi Sinan!

Looks like you're off to a good start there.

1:72 vs 1:48, you don't make it too easy on yourself with that scale ;) on the other hand, some details can be left off. At 1:48 I guess one wants to put in as much details as possible but at 1:72, some things can be "forgotten".

Thank You Pete, J.Pett, Dida and Hakan.

Dida the wood that I use for the stem and keel is pear, for the other parts I will use some sherry, poplar and walnut.

Hakan Yes is harder to this scale and I will try my best not to lose to much details.

For now I'm struggling with the bulk head tapper at  the stern and stem, hoping I will manage it somehow. Pictures of my error soon :P

Sinan,

Post a picture and ask.  With the collective minds around here, you'll probably get at least one good, solid answer.

What´s happening with that planking Sinan!!??

As Mark said to me once "sometimes the best It is just to start and go for it" or something like that. You can correct me Mark on this one.

GOOD luck!

Daniel.

I didn't think that preparing for planking e.g. fairing the hull, and then inner framing will take that time to do. And on the other hand my modeling time is gone pretty small. I hope I will start planking soon :huh:

I'm still fairing the hull (struggling really :blush:) and I'm not sure about the most complex bulkhead No 27 or the stern one. Below You can see on the picture I'm not sure about the fairing direction. Please help about it is it like on the picture (top view in relationship with stern - stem direction) or is opposite direction. Thank You !

post-171-0-60494300-1363121805.jpg

Hi Sonic

my interpretation (from engineering experience of drawing interpretation):

- brown line is the profile of the bulkhead's side facing the stern

- black line is the profile of the bulkhead's side facing the stem

At top, bulkhead rear profile is larger (port to starboard) than forward profile (an a bit higher, too)

At mid height, bulkhead rear profile is narrower than forward profile

At low height, bulkhead rear profile is again larger than forward profile. This looks strange to me, as Frame27 is close to stern and hull lines should become even more narrow.

So: you should obviously cut the frame following the enveloping line (= the most external, whichever it is, brown or black), then draw the brown lines on the back side (facing the stern) of the bulkhead and the black lines on the front side (facing the stem), then sand the bulkhead profile so to join the front black line to the rear brown line.

Also note that you have to carve two notches on the front side of the bulkhead, for gunport lintel and gunport sill.

Curious to read other answers, to see if I'm correct (I've very few experience with this type of interpretation).

Following your job with much interest, this could be my next project...

Ciao

Fam

Thank you Fam for your reply. I was thinking the same about it because for all of the bulkheads is the same case but this one was really strange. I made this two templates one with the black and one with red line. I hope this will work.

post-171-0-30887500-1363201058.jpg

Thank you Guy for your estimation :) I hope l start with planking soon. For now I'm working on preparing the hull for it. I'm on a fairing and soon I will start on framing the stern and gun ports. I post some pictures soon I hope because I didn't know that this is the most time consuming job.

Thank you! have you finished your fairing yet? If you left a little extra material the fairing should not be too difficult

Leeetle update.... I almost finish with the outside and inside fairing (You can see the hull on some parts it looks like the creature from Frankenstein because I sand to deep and then I glued some thin strips of wood :) I think is a boo boo). For rough sanding I use a small disc sander attach on the rotary tool. The small disc is made out a bottle  cap  cut to a disc with oversize sandpaper glued on. I "steal"  this idea from The Matthew project  and is work really good not only for fairing but almost for any sanding. Here are some pictures :)

post-171-0-67690800-1365975272_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-85172800-1365975284_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-98083200-1365975300_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-63358200-1365975318_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-90959100-1365975330_thumb.jpg