Bluenose by mrcc - Billing Boats - 1:75

Some cleanup work involved adding the additional stanchions, now at three between every bulkhead, as evident in the post prior. I also cleaned up the bow as well, making some parts from scratch, as I have since found out that I am missing some parts from the kit that I inherited.

post-1305-0-39237800-1410831759_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-96573700-1410831821_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-34413900-1410831848_thumb.jpg

Julian

Current: Mamoli - Friesland

Billing Boats - Dutch Sperwer

Finished: Billing Boats - Bluenose

Mamoli - Santa Maria

On Hold: Caldercraft - Bomb Vessel Granado

I have since noticed that I am missing some key parts / components from the 4 mm sheet, about 6 in total ( 4 of them have paired parts). Not sure what to do as the kit is long out of production now and whether Billing Boats would have the press yet available. I may email Billing or the other option is to get a photocopy or scan of the missing parts at 1:1 scale and just scratch build them. (*Hint, hint* to 7Provinces if not a huge bother).

Edited by mrcc

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Thanks Keith for your reply... The challenge of inheriting a kit, as old as it is, is parts of a sheet missing, very poor documentation to begin with, and in my case no instructions at all, and plans on a double sided sheet that only show some parts in profile.The only reference I have is instructions of newer kits of a Billing Bluenose model that is not even of the same scale as the one I have and is poor to begin with.

Julian

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

hmmm that is going to prove interesting- with the newer kits at least they have a sheet showing all the parts with relevant numbering so you can find them on the ply sheets which would have given you some idea of the shape at least- i suppose it is the problem of taking over a kit where someone hasn't kept everything with it.

Keith

Haha no worries mate ;-)

And no need for hinting as well, I got the idea long before you *hinted*  :D

Maybe a small comfort (or not): my kit was new and missed a few parts as well, most notably the main masts...

Anyway I will send you a scan of the parts. It is the 4mm abachi sheet with the gaffs on it, isn't it?

Fair winds and following seas,

Jan-Willem

current build: Billing Boats Bluenose "the anonymous schooner" (enhanced-bashed-scratched-whatever) in a scale between 1:55 and 1:69

Hi Julian,

I just PM'ed you the scan. I hope it helps.

Let me know if there is something else I can help you with.

Jan-Willem

current build: Billing Boats Bluenose "the anonymous schooner" (enhanced-bashed-scratched-whatever) in a scale between 1:55 and 1:69

Started some painting. The waterline was a bit difficult to get. My technique was to measure off the plans down from the top rail at the bow, mid way at two points and again at the stern, on both sides, and then took a pencil on a glass to scribe a rough line connecting all the points while the ship was upside down.

post-1305-0-87683600-1411571979_thumb.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

So I painted a rough swath of white on each side of the waterline and then I taped off with a 1/8 inch tape (not Tamiya as I couldn't find this size which I think may yet be a tad too thick for the present scale). I then painted a first light coat to seal the tape edge on each side and then 4 more coats (total of 5) which is the present state. I used Tamiya paint which I found a bit thin compared to Admiral paints which is a bit thick in my opinion. Looks like I need another coat or two of the red...? I also think the Tamiya tape is probably better.

post-1305-0-04222500-1411572475_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-67049700-1411572496_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-82342700-1411572524_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-29337300-1411572539_thumb.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

I also had some replacements parts shipping out from Billing Boats here in Canada. Very good and quick service...

The parts pictured is from the present Bluenose model that Billing sells and it is at the 1:65 scale, not the 1:75 scale of my present (old) kit.

I obtained a photocopy of the missing sheet at 1:1 scale from the old kit marketed by Billing... (thanks again 7Provinces) and noticed that the parts are identical in scale in comparison. I think the old kit marketed at 1:75 was "way off". The only parts that don't work on the model, and present scale, (that was shipped to me) is the building cradle. Not sure how Billing got the scale off by so much. I think the scale of my kit is likely closer to 1:60 or even larger.

post-1305-0-65663700-1411573235_thumb.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Looking good, the paint below the waterline will develop more lustre after a couple of coats of matt varnish. For marking waterlines you can hold the ship in a cradle and tape a pencil to a block of wood the same height as the waterline then scribe along the hull -that way you only need to make one measurement- hopes that makes sense :D

Keith

Thanks Keith,

With regards to the waterline, yes, that is how I did it on a previous build of mine. The issue here is that I was missing a building cradle until just recently. The new one shipped to me is out of scale (too small) but I am going to open it up and stabilize it with some build outs (with wood). 

Julian

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Keith, that method works fine when everything is absolutely in line, the ship is 100% horizontal, you have a good cradle, no warps, etc. etc.

I do not want to make any injust assumptions about anyone's model, but I for one am not going to be able to use this method on my Bluenose. The Billing Boats cradle is too flimsy, for one thing. I have give this a lot of thought and I probably will use the same method as Julian did, as much as I would have liked to use the method you described.

Anyway, just my 2 cents  ;)

Jan-Willem

Hi Julian, great progress again! I wish I was as fast and fearless as you are. Which color red are you using? I am still looking for the right one. Is it the pictures or is it quite a bright red?

Regarding the parts: great to hear that at least they have a decent service and of course it is kind of interesting that it is like predicted: the parts of the 1/75 model have the same size as the ones from the 1/65 model. In fact, the size of the model is very close to the Model Shipways 1/64 model but according to my calculations in fact closer to 1/59 or 1/57, depending on which length you measure. For my calculations I keep it to 1/60.

Cheers,

Jan-Willem

Jan-Willem

Thanks Jan-Willem,

The paint is Tamiya's Flat Red. I agree it is a bit bright but nonetheless I am still happy with the color.

Perhaps it could have had a bit more of a copper tinge to it. Tamiya's paint line is a bit sparse on color variations unless my hobby store did not carry their full line.

Cheers,

Julian

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

I did some research regarding the colors of the Bluenose because this is one of the most obvious things Billing Boats got totally wrong and one of the easiest things to correct. Apparently the color of the hull below the waterline was "anti-fouling red", i.e. the color of the anti-fouling paint which I think is still used (the color suggested by Billing Boats being gold-bronze :( ). 

I have been searching for anti-fouling red and came to the conclusion that it should be quite close to RAL 3005 or "wine red". I think I am going to try that when I ever get to that stage  ;) although, to be honest, I have doubts that it might be a bit much on the "brown" side for my taste.

You could always mix a few drops of brown or black into the red and paint a scrap piece of wood just to get an idea.

Jan-Willem

Hi Jan-Willem,

When I paint the upper half (and look at the total hull painted) I will reassess the red as I hope to yet do a couple final coats of red.

I know there is a great deal of mention of the red on old build logs as the red should be more of a "copper red".

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Important is that you like it though.

I have already considered painting her light grey / egg shell because I think it would go nicely with the mahogany deck  :)

But since this would more or less "undo" the fact that I am changing a lot to the kit to make it a more accurate resemblance I decided to go with the anti-fouling paint / copper red color (or an approximation).

Jan-Willem

Hi Julian, did you already think about the chainplates and deadeyes? It seems to me to be something you want to have done before painting the hull or at least before painting the upper part black. See also the build log by Bob (bhermann). 

May be worth a thought...

Jan-Willem

On it this week... I hope.

I primed the entire hull and starting painting below the water line so where the chainplates is still only primed, should be easy enough to sand back and affix.

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Yes I agree. I would also do the priming first and then affix the chainplates you don't want those details too much clogged with paint.

Jan-Willem

This is how I got my capping bent for the monkey rail. It did bend back to its original to a degree but there was enough memory to provide a reasonable fit and attachment with CA glue. I soaked the rails in hot water for about 20 minutes and then let them dry on top of the plans over wax paper.

post-1305-0-42117900-1412260553_thumb.jpg

Edited by mrcc

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Built my cradle (from a different scale kit of Billing Boats that was sent to me as the original was long lost). I just had to open up the notch to accommodate the keel and sand open the sides a bit.

post-1305-0-89894000-1412260881_thumb.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Now some pictures of the finished monkey rail and bow rail. The last image is a first sanding of the deck. 

I hope to get my chain plates finished this weekend... and start the final painting of the hull.

post-1305-0-43321000-1412261102_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-80949000-1412261120_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-46618700-1412261134_thumb.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

• 2 weeks later...

This is work from a few weeks back...

I drilled the holes in the cap railing in order to accept the chainplate and then with the dowel to simulate the mast, sighted where the shrouds would end (on the dowel) and marked the slight angulations via the marks shown onto the hull. From below I sighted to the hole on the cap rail and cut out the notches to later accept the chainplate.

post-1305-0-61582700-1413297807_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-50655800-1413297839_thumb.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria