Shackleton's Endurance

Zvansom

On 7/10/2018 at 4:20 AM, Koa4225 said:

I heard back from the National Maritime Museum in the UK.  They have a total of 8 drawings from the Endurance.  They are all of Polaris before she was converted for the expedition.  I've asked for pricing of those not availabe on the website; I'll repost when I get that back.  Drawings in red are available on the site now:

Endurance (1912)

Line

Plan

Scale

Lines (Profile & half breadth) 14013

1:32

B

(J9265). Body Plan, March 1914. 14012

1:32

B

(J9266). Longitudinal Section, as Polaris. 14011

1:48

B

(J9267). Midships Sections, as Polaris. 14009

1:24

B

Rig, Profile & Decks. 13973 (part very faint)

1:96

B

Decks Plans. 14007

1:48

B

Prop. Convers. from steam to 'Bolinder' Motor.13960

B

Prop. Shaft & stern gear. 14010

B

The NMM now has a database of selections from their collections. I gather this "digitization" project is ongoing. Here is the link to the "Endurance (1912)" page containing some pictures which I expect most have already seen. https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections.html#!csearch;searchTerm=Endurance_(1912);start=0  One might consider checking the site every so often to see if anything more gets posted on Endeavor.

The NMM has digitized some draughts which are available on line, but a lot of these are of the large drawings common in naval architecture (some as much as six or seven feet long) and hence the high cost of copying. (I couldn't find any of Endurance.) The copies, which I presume are "state of the art," are still only copies of the NMM's original. I expect "buyer beware" is the order of the day, because if what they've digitized and posted on their online data base so far is any indication, a lot are in rough shape and some, indeed, appear barely readablel. They often appear quite faded (as they notedfor item 5. in the above listing.) Some are very dirty, folded, torn and otherwise well-used. They are, after all, just old paper and, in some instances, very old paper that endured long periods of indifferent handling and storage and zero conservation. I wouldn't expect to get anything more than "what you see is what you get." Most all will require re-drafting and perhaps re-scaling for modeling purposes. I'd sure want to get some idea of what any NMM plans looked like before pulling the trigger on ordering a copy.  That said, they are in many instances "the only game in town."                      

Edited by Bob Cleek