Proper light for a modelling table

Making a modelling corner in a new apartment, and want to do a proper light on my modelling table. No need for a table lamp, no mounts or clamps, I will integrate the lamp into the top part of a table itself.

My table is in the living room, so the room is already light.

However, need a guidance in what kind of a lamps are preferred..

* No high frequency flickering like in a cheap fluorescent lamps. Lamp should not make eyes tired

* Not too bright

* Neutral spectrum and colour palette, when I look on a wood or paint, I want to see a real colour, without effects of the lighting

Basically, it should be a pleasure for eyes and it should not skew the colours.

Price range - I hope to be below $150.

Would really appreciate any hints, what type of a lamp to use. I saw some professional jewellery lamps, but they are around $400, which is too expensive.

Edited by Mike Y

So conceptually I am looking for a bare lamp like this:

post-5430-0-79110600-1408391052.jpg

It would be mounted on top of that table, under the place where Pinnace stands on that photo:

post-5430-0-74881900-1408391102_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately most of such lamps are designed for kitchen and have a terrible light quality. And if you search for a separate light bulb to make this lamp by yourself - there are gazillion of different technologies :(

If you plan to use magnifier, lighting has specific dimension

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Magnifier with integrated light is a different story. I will buy it separately :) it gives a spot light, and I am looking for a good background light, that will keep entire working area bright enough

Edited by Mike Y

You have prepared a nice cave to do your work, caves have always been hard to illuminate for delicate work. Would work fine for your forge, the colors of the hot iron would be easy to see, that's the reason the blacksmith forge is in a dark corner. Think I would start over, get a stout but nice table to start with. Then build or obtain some storage cupboards with doors that are a light color to store your stuff. Those walls and ceiling are the right color, use that built in lighting aid and supplement it with some indirect lighting on the wall or ceiling. No offense intended, that is just how I see it.

jud

Jud, you are right, it is a dark corner table :) Other setups will take too much space in a living room. And I can't afford an apartment with a dedicated hobby room. One day kid will grow up and move away... :)

So the idea is to light that cave with a good lamp.

Found some brand daylight, they say right things, but the website looks too much like a marketing blah blah. Gut feeling that they could just repackage some chinese lamps in a nice box.. Or I'm wrong?

http://uk.daylightcompany.com/product/n1190/

Hi Mike:

I've seen some very nice lamps in Jeweler's Supply websites.  I would think that a jeweler would need the kind of bright light that you're looking for.

Frank

Hi Mike,

A couple of thoughts to keep in mind and depending on your budget. 

I have found using Daylight (55000K) light the best to work with.  These are readily available in fluorescent tubes as well as gloves; just make sure you buy a standard size light to accept the tubes.

If you are REALLY serious about the light, you can get a 'medical' quality lamp that will produce a light that ensures no colour change to what you are working on if you wish to seriously match paint etc.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I did not invsst in lamps. My cave is in heat room 3x3 m with bulb 100w in center of floor. In one corner I mounted work surface 100x70 cm with bulb 200w in floor corner, so I got left and up rear light, right rear window light, and strong front high light, all of it make difuse strong light good enough for almost all of works. When I need to use magnifier, pull up little improvised movable led light on table. Not expensive, and good. Happines is I have enough space in house. Long ago when I had not separated room, I used two removable and movable table cheap daylights similar as on link above, each on right and left side of table

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Thanks everybody for suggestions!

Ordered this daylight lamp: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daylight-Black-D33041-Energy-Saving/dp/B002XVPQP8

According to reviews, at least it's not bad :) People do mention that it's not flickering, no headache or eye tiredness. 

Will post a feedback when I receive it.

Brian,

I want one!

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Mike

That lamp (Daylight Black Desk Lamp D33041 with Energy Saving Daylight Tube) seems perfect for the space!

coupled with an illuminating magnifier I think you will be quite happy.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Gaetan, pardon for an amateur questions, but I though that lux is simply a brightness. And brighter != better, it would be painful for the eyes to work under a very bright light. There should be just enough brightness :)

Or I'm totally missing the point? Since looks like you know better, could you please share your knowledge? 

The last time we talked about the subject... few weeks ago, about 10 lines lower, same chapter.

Ideally, the discussion should continue in the same thread,

but every time, it is a new thread!

If you try to light 1 room  with a 40 watts tungsten bulb at night, you will see, but may be you will mist some details; details disappear in the dark!

post-184-0-30008700-1408540634_thumb.jpg

Gaetan, thanks! Could you please point me to a right discussion than? I honestly searched by "light" or "lamp" keyword in that forum before creating a new topic..

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7570-work-table-light-needed/

in this topic we say that a good lamp  has a price, but it is not everybody who are ready to buy.

Everone has it's own priority. If I would have the choice to buy a good lamp at $400 or a lathe at the same price, I would buy the lamp first, simply because I will use the lamp everyday and for the lathe it will be only ounce every 6 months. Also a good lamp will save your eyes.

So you have the choice you save your money or you save your eyes.

Every one fix his own priority. Between a lathe and a milling machine, evrybody buy the lathe first, but the milling machine is more useful than a lathe and even more if it can be use at the same time as a press drill.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/5106-dentist-binocular-loupe/

this one is about  dentist  loupe, especially for very fine details if you do not have a good light, you will mist half the details

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7118-magnetic-task-light/

magnetic task light

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/327-le-fleuron-by-g-bordeleau-scale-124/page-3

occasionnaly, I talked about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

I find the need for several different light sources when building ships. Because of the close in work on very small parts in tight places, it is necessary to have different auxillary lighting. First I use a good quality fluorescent hanging lamp for the overall lighting. There is no flickering and the light is bright but soft. I then have an LED hi-intensity lamp with a bendable shaft that can be tilted in any direction or height for closeup lighting. This can be clamped anywhere on the bench where it would be needed. I also have LED handlights that can be used to look into tight places, and lastly an LED head lamp that frees up the hands. I use all of these at different times depending on what I am doing. All of these can be had for under $100 total.

Vince P.